xisto Community
c3nar1us

Unknown Fujitsu Usb External Hdd *help!* help me :(

Hello all, i've been searching all over the internet with no avail for some info on this... I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.Okay, I have an extraordinary need to backup my 9 gig HDD so that I may reformat it and start from scratch, afterwhich I could use my other comp's CD-RW drive to burn everything onto a series of CDs. Now, while searching through my options, I found the best way to go would probably be to use an empty USB External HDD I own to copy everything to, and then afterwards hook that HDD up to the comp with the CD-RW drive to burn it directly from there.This comp (the one that needs to be backed up) is running Win98 (NOT 98/se, all the more reason to reformat and reinstall).The comp with the CD-RW drive is running WinXP home edition.The 2.5" External HDD is made by Fujitsu, model MHM2100AT, and the casing for the HDD is plain solid aluminum and only contains the following graphics/text on it:HI-SPEED Certified USB logo (top-right corner)Large text: STORAGE BOX (bottom-right corner)Line graphic (underneath STORAGE BOX text)Small text: ATN-251 2.5" EXTERNAL HDD (underneath line graphic)... and unfortunately that sums up every aspect of the HDD case.I hear that Fujitsu doesn't commonly create the drivers for their HDDs, which is probably why I came to a dead end while searching their site. Anyways, I have tried to install this HDD on the Win98 machine using a floppy disk labelled "For USB 2.0 Driver" containing the following files:DELENTRY.EXEDELUIDRV.EXEGENEDISK.INFGENESTOR.PDRGENEUIDE.INFGENEUIDE.SYSSETUP.EXEUSBMONIT.EXE... and everything seems to install and run perfectly fine. The only problem is that the drive doesnt pop up in My Computer like it's supposed to, pretty much rendering the HDD inaccessable & useless.Now, I find absolutely no errors when trying to use this drive on the WinXP machine, and once plugged in the new drive letter pops up in My Computer like it's supposed to and everything is perfect, without the need for installation or anything. So, does anyone have any ideas how I can get this working on the Win98 machine, or if it's even compatible for Win98? Much appreciated to all who can help in any way.c3nar1us

Ok first off i would try and plug the usb in and make sure you have WIN98 drivers and also very important the WIN98 CD which is a must for any component install. Once thats going and you are sure you have tried every possible combination of usb to hdd then i would move on to thinking outside the square to the possiblities of networking if u have cards and cat cabling. Or perhaps why not warranty in mind remove your cd writer and put it in the 98 machine it wudnt hurt to give it a go and save you a lot of time.i will also place sum sites here that contain drivers that may help you.storage.free-driver-download.com/Fujitsu/ 17176/Fujitsu-HandyDrive-USB-Driver-Windows-98-ME.html http://www.fujitsu.com/global/ support/computing/storage/mo/win9x/CD Rom stuff if you are unsure.www-1.ibm.com/support/docview. wss?rs=0&uid=psg1MIGR-53835&loc=en_USGood Luck

does your BIOS recognize the usb drive? when you boot up, it would usually tell what HDs are recognized and installed... if you don't see the fujitsu drive, maybe you need to configure the hd settings in your bios? that is how i believe it works in win98 (though i use win98/se and i never used winxp yet, just afraid to install it. :lol:), if it is not recognized on boot up, it will not show up afterwards when you are within windows already. worth a try. :rolleyes:

fujistu extarnal not workingUnknown Fujitsu Usb External Hdd *help!*I make format for my EXTERNAL HARD DISK after that it not showing in my computer but when I check in manager device its there can somebody help me Please-reply by mohammed

Update its drivers if possible, find it in device manager, Right click then click "update drivers", check the "look online" and click next, then click on the option that mentions "automatically search for..." see if that helps.If not try it in another computer. If it works then it is your computer that is the problem. if it still doesnt work the drive may be damaged.(i realize the thread itself is 4 years old... however this guy's comments are relevant and it saves another post going up in the forums with the same problem so meh, makes sense to reply here rather than report/tell him to make a new topic)