xisto Community
HmmZ

My Portfolio Site feedback please

Since i had my Xisto account i think i have been working on a dozen different sites...and guess what all unfinished..lol

Anyway, to keep track of my little projects i started (and will be finishing!) my portfolio site

I have created everything myself, no copied material :lol:

Anyway, I would like to have some feedback

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

(i might make it my portal page for all the other sites)

By The way, does anyone agree with me that the "content" (where all the content will be) should have a greyish background? I think its too much white, but id like to keep the body white, a change for all the black backgrounds i always use :(

I love all comment, so shoot

Err, i clicked the link and the navigation seems to be screwed up the first time you visit the page -.- damn frame scrollbars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not too much there to comment on at the moment, but like whyme says, your header seems a bit pointless - it doesn't say anything so you have no idea what the site's called. Also I think your nav buttons are too small & hard to read. And I don't think you really need to set the onmousedown and onmouseup values for those links cos they're the same as onmouseover and onmouseout.

I uploaded a new header wich does tell a bit more about my portfolio site (the animation of my projects, Java, PHP, and more.....lol)And should a portfolio site have a name?:lol:I only set onmouseover values, and they should turn reddish..they do for meTook out the iframe for the navigationAnd are the buttons not readable? I think the visitor doesnt have a hard time to read Home|Projects|About me|Contact do they? Anyone else got problem with the font size? i can adjust em ^^..if needed (I kinda like them this size :( )

And should a portfolio site have a name?:lol:

If it's a portfolio, I think it should have the name of the person in there at least somewhere. You shouldn't have to go to the About Me page to find out whose portfolio you're looking at. It should at least be in the title tag.

I only set onmouseover values, and they should turn reddish..they do for me

What's all this then?

<a href="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; target="content"    onmouseover="changeImages('nav_Home', 'images/nav_Home-over.gif'); return true;"    onmouseout="changeImages('nav_Home', 'images/nav_Home.gif'); return true;"    onmousedown="changeImages('nav_Home', 'images/nav_Home-over.gif'); return true;"    onmouseup="changeImages('nav_Home', 'images/nav_Home-over.gif'); return true;">

Looks like 2 more lines of code than is really necessary to me.

And are the buttons not readable? I think the visitor doesnt have a hard time to read Home|Projects|About me|Contact do they? Anyone else got problem with the font size? i can adjust em ^^..if needed (I kinda like them this size sad.gif )

For me, personally, they're too small especially with that thin font and dark colour. It's not that they're unreadable, but as a designer, when I look at your page, one of the first things I thought was: "nav buttons are too small". You have to search the page to find them and that's without any content on there. You should be making your site's navigation an easy matter for your users.

By The way, does anyone agree with me that the "content" (where all the content will be) should have a greyish background? I think its too much white, but id like to keep the body white, a change for all the black backgrounds i always use :lol:

I don't agree that the content should have a greyish background. Although your idea of providing contrast between the the content background and site background is great. Maybe it should be the other way around. Try #f7f7f7 for your site background and keep your content background white. You can also try #cccccc for your the site background. Either of the two, #f7f7f7 and #cccccc, combine great with white.

Then if you want you can add a shadow to one or both sides.

Nice Site Anyway.

Where did you create the banner?

I agree with that. Change the background of the site, not the colour in which the images are loaded. I would try to make the menu more visible, and enlarge the zone of the mouseover.Very stylish anyway. :lol: God job, I?ll wait for the portfolio.

<a href="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; target="content"   onmouseover="changeImages('nav_Home', 'images/nav_Home-over.gif'); return true;"   onmouseout="changeImages('nav_Home', 'images/nav_Home.gif'); return true;"   onmousedown="changeImages('nav_Home', 'images/nav_Home-over.gif'); return true;"   onmouseup="changeImages('nav_Home', 'images/nav_Home-over.gif'); return true;">

Thats the generated code of Imageready rollover slices, but ill see what i can do with onmousedown and the onmouseup lines :lol:

Ill change the navigation height to either 40px or maybe even 50px instead of the now 30px, see what it does ^^. And enlarging the zone? Ill see what i can do..

Thanks for the feedback guys, ill return when i made the changes ^^

By the way, the header is made with PS+ImageReady, im working on getting this into flash (the size is 130kb in .gif right now...bit overdone :lol: ) *sorry for the second post*

ok, ive made the changes, found out that the imageready html needs all a href attributes to display properly :(I find it too big now, but its well readable :lol:

I have updated and changes some things on my humble website now, i took advantage of a little preload&rolloverscript i had on my comp for AGES (even made a first part of the projects section now..the script as a tutorial :() and its very easy too :lol:Any additional comments on how to improve my site?

not bad, altho not great.My pointers are to change the header. All the bevel effects look pretty amateurish and some of the text effects look bad.What i like is the css style for the text, nothing bad about that :rolleyes:and the footer graphics. Somehting liek that for the nav buttons would be alot better i think. Also why is there a gap in between the header and nav?Could be a promising site.not bad so far

I really like your layout and color scheme and such. It really makes your page easy to read and to find what the viewer is looking for. Like others said i would avoid Iframes. I know you siad this was to be a portfolio site but to me it looks more like just another site so i would add you informaiton to the main page and remove the about me page. Also, instead of the about me i would put my links to other sites you designed there. Hope this helps