xisto Community
lamode

Phpbb Or Invision Power Board ?

phpbb Or Invision Power Board  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use Simple Machines. You can put one on your site here through the Fantastico thing. The really neat thing is the package manager, where you can upgrade and add mods to the site through the admin panel- no messing with the code and getting lost trying to add mods on your own! The SMF help board is really friendly and quick as well, so if you ever have any questions they get answered right away.

Not all versions of IPB cost you money. If you go to myfreebulletinboard.com you can get your own board set up for free. I have two pretty popular forums that are IPB. Sierra Talk -- is my newest one. It is for GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado truck owners. Then I have Atv Central. It is for all terrain vehicles riders. I have had no problems with IPB. The layout is great. The whole package is great. I would definately recommend it for everyone.

Well I prefer Invision Power Board but I can't afford to buy it. It has more features, a better admin control panel and good stuff like that. PHPBB is really good though as well because it is free and has almost the same features. They both have tons of mods, skins and so on. PHPBB though can't do all that IPB can. Overall I'll take PHPBB though because of the fact it is free and can get me more places spending less money. Besides I don't think my parents would like me to buy a forum costing over a hundred dollars anyway.

I like invision because its paid. Phpbb is just old and only for people who cant afford a quality forum. Thats what i think. Nobody uses phpbb but beginners then they eventually relize that they need to use something else more modern or advanced.

If you are looking for advanced features in a snap I recommend Invision. The ACP is simply great and looks are fine too. But phpBB is good if you are looking for a highly customizable system and tons of support. The final decision is upto you. For you requirement only I have voted for IPB.

IPB is somewhat like a solution, it is well designed, with numerous functions, but you cannot expand it or customize it easily. You have support from the official team but you don't have much support from the community. PHPBB is a GNU scripts and so the support community is huge. You may find mods of the scripts very easily but it is a headache to apply all of them according to your wish. PHPBB is also quite vulnerables to new attack. CPU resource-wise, I think IPB is less resource hungry, but my board is really to small to make a judgment on this.

Ya Invision Power Board really is the best way to go but I can't get it.

Phpbb is just old and only for people who cant afford a quality forum. Thats what i think. Nobody uses phpbb but beginners then they eventually relize that they need to use something else more modern or advanced.

Lol not my fault my parents won't let me buy it. I do want to buy it though and I would get it illegally but that's the point it would be illegal. I would get the free version but it is hacked easily so Hi ho hi ho it's phpbb I go.

My dad chats on Ian Hunter Message Board that is powered by PHPBB!
My website at My Webpage is powered by IPB!
I like the smileys better on PHPBB forums cos' the invision ones look ugly!
IPB is better to set up and you can get direct links as well!
I would say apart from the smileys IPB is better!
;):):P

From the two you put up there, go with ipb. It has way more features on it including calendar, subforums, mods. Just think that if you like Xisto's forum a lot then go with ipb. I would prefer vBulletin more than the other two though :)

hi, i am just about to start a  forum, that is about warcraft3 maps development and discussion and bugs report, appox 500+ members. but i am not sure the difference between phpbb and invison power board, any information about that would be extre me useful here.

142242[/snapback]

i find invision power board better for forums because it looks more proffesional than phpbb

and if u ar gonna use ipb for your forum pm me if you want a shout box installed

I got my first forum at forumer about two years ago and it's still invison power board. Oh man it's powerful.But now I got my forum as phpbb hosted by forumer, but it's so much inferior than ipb you know...So much limits has been done to my forum now but still navigations are still easy to use. However, when I'm referring to my friends, they said it's not good for me to use hosted forums because it's limited too much. You won't see the greatness of the real features available.I hope to make my own phpbb in the future so I can see the full features available for my forum. Right now my forum is so dead... (no new posts over months) I hope to make a great improvements so the people can comeback to my forum or my new forum.