xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cse-icons

Car Race In Excel Easter Egg

Hi friends, As u know, developers sometimes put in interesting functionality in the software they make. If these make it to release, they are termed Easter Eggs...There are many such across the software that you use...One of them is in excel...You would need Excel 2000 for this..(actually it is an easter egg in ms web components)But you access this from an Excel workbook saved as an interactive web page. It Requires Excel 2000, the Microsoft Web components, and DirectX to be there on ur system. If u have excel 2000 there are good chances that other two are also present.. just give it a try...1. Open a new Excel workbook. 2. Select File * Save as Web Page 3. In the Save As dialog, select 'Publish Sheet' and 'Add Interactivity' 4. Save to an htm file on your hard drive (any file name). 5. Open the htm file with Internet Explorer. (I have tried on IE 5 and 6)6. Scroll to the cell WC2000 and then scroll the sheet such that cell "WC2000" is the first cell on the left. Now Highlight the entire row by clicking on the row number of the left edge. 6. Press Crtl+Alt+Shift and click the Office logo in the upper-left corner. Your screen will be transformed into an auto racing game, with developer credits visible on the roadway. Use the following keys for the game:Arrow keys: to steer and accelerate Space bar: To fire at other cars O: To drop oil slicks H: To turn on/off your headlights (toggle switch).Have fun, happy racing...P.S. - I have tried this out on Excel 2000, but dont know which other versions of Excel does this work on. I dont have nything else to test. If u find this working on other versions do post the same here.. Cheers.

I have Excel 2002 (10.4109.3501) SP-1 with IE 6.0.2800 and it does not work. But to clarify your statement,

6. Scroll to the cell WC2000 and then scroll the sheet such that cell "WC2000" is the first cell on the left. Now Highlight the entire row by clicking on the row number of the left edge.

is the COLUMN WC and ROW 2000 where WC2000 is the very first cell that should be positioned? When I follow your direction I only get a new window "Web Components" Darn, why did I have to upgrade my version? :lol: