xisto Community
cse-icons

Windows Codenames

Hi friends,Did you know Microsoft uses codename for its software products. i.e, they have a different name while in development stage than the one they attach for release.I know of a few names. Here they are:Code Name Software------------- ----------Janus Windows 3.1Chicago Windows 95Memphis Windows 98Neptune Planned Successor of Windows 98 - cancelledDaytona Windows NT 3.5Longhorn Successor to Windows XPI got these names in a forwarded mail....I think my friend has got more of them.. I wud post them after getting them..Cheers...

Heh, didnt know any of thses. But wouldnt Microsoft release this information anyways? They released the name Codename Longhorn anyways for the next version of Windows

I got these names in a forwarded mail....

Because we all know forwarded e-mails are sources of valid, credible information...
I don't doubt that Microsoft uses codenames for their products, I'm just saying that if you believe every e-mail you get that you're going to be really disappointed when Gates doesn't send you a check for $300.

Because we all know forwarded e-mails are sources of valid, credible information...

I don't doubt that Microsoft uses codenames for their products, I'm just saying that if you believe every e-mail you get that you're going to be really disappointed when Gates doesn't send you a check for $300.

143216[/snapback]

Actually pretty much all reputable companies use "codenames" for their products, especially Microsoft. For example, "XBOX Next". You can get a full list of the Micro$oft codenames here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ It's interesting...I guess.

I know that windows xp got name as whistler.and Dos in windows loghorn gots name Monad.And thier GUI got codenames as Aero and Glass.i thibk in case of OS apple started making codenames.thier first codename OS was Lisa.