xisto Community
c3nar1us

What Free Software Do We Need On Our Computer? free software....

I agree ad-aware is by far the best for anti-spy ware and is sufficient but if what you have on your computer is very important I recommend paying for it so you can get adwatch and have more options like doing a smart scan in the background on strartup and having it automatically checking the bugs you want to delete for you. I was running ad-aware regularly to keep my computer clean and when I got the special addition that had adwatch my system has satayed clean without me doing anything. Spybot search and destroy and Microsoft anti-spy where are also good to have. AVG free is good for blocking trogen downloads from downloading trogins on you but with the latest upgrade of nortin I got rid of the trogen downloader?s on my computer. So you as a minimum get the free programs to take care of spyware but given the price you pay for your computer or to have it fixed I think paying for better protection is well worth the money. On other programs, thanks for telling me about GIMP. Did anyone post the link or will I have to go look for it. There is also good free mathematical software like octave and maxima but I don?t know if anyone is into that here. Since this is a web development site you might want to download apache for testing web scripts.

I was only wondering ... if we are talking about freeware and my microsoft ... lets just move the entire thing onto LINUX The Ultimate In Freeware.And Everything Listed On This Topic is Available For Linux Also.Think About It.Cheers

DirectX, Some anti-virus dunno what i recommend is Kaspeyski... find it free there are millions of copies... Quick Time is important, if you want to watch movies on the internet.... tbh there are millions of free programs u can use for free... just go to http://download.cnet.com/windows/ & search for a program & download whatever it says freeware probably not cool.. programs but wuteva :P

well, when you ask "Free" software pleasse tell us what type of "Free" do you mean. There's free as in no charge or free as in freedom.Some softwares you might consider are: GIMP over Photoshop, OpenOffice versus Microsoft Office or even better, Linux or BSD over Windows.xboxrulz

I would have to say Windows Media Player....1. AIM2. Windows media player3. Photoshop... even though it's not free4.Internet Explorer5.Norton Antivirus 20036.MSN MESSAGNGER7. Yahoo8. Yahoo mail9.WinRaR10. WindowsBlinds

umm...lots of free software to download :Pfirefox browers seriesstardockoffice,readergrafics designing toolsmaybe some skin of software or os

I dont personnaly use freeware - because its usually tacky software that companies use for testing. And they are unstable.But the good freeware applications i know are:GIMPPaint.NetVisual Basic - C, .Net, C#, J#, J+, C++, and more (<-- Those are just ace!)Notepad++Ad-Aware SE PersonalWS_FTP and CORE FTPPHP and APACHE serverGood list but i think thats all

Hi all, Great topic. Without doubt the internet is full of great free open source programs. In the hey day of the net one could get just about anything free. Then the internet crash left us with way less options. I remember free faxing,free internet services, free everything. You could start a business for little or no overhead and thrive. For a long time I thought that those days were gone forever. Well thanks to open source I have more free programs than ever. While free services may be less the free programs are most certainly better. I have managed to start a business with open source programs and grow it. I design sites. I started with Open Office the free full office utility that is better that Microsoft Office in my opinion. I could make great craigslist ads and good HTML pages. Using some slide shows and such I could make a very decent site with Open Office. I still use it on certain projects. I love the image map feature. Its lets you make hot spots (links on specific areas of any image. You can in theory make any image or set of images a website. For quick good looking ads it is the best.Then of course I moved on to Joomla. A totally free web site building and management tool that is used on the server. I found this exciting as my sites were all client side made (made on my computer then sent FTP to the server). The idea of building the site on the server with such a powerful tool was amazing to me. Best of all it was a free program and hundreds of others just like it are out there. The demand for Joomla designers and development is an industry in itself.Who would not want a copy of Photoshop free? The Gimp is one of the best image tools in the world with options and features similar to the Adobe product. It may even have more options. With the python installed Gimp can do even more. The best for me is the gradient tint tool that gives so many sites a great modern look. I have made all Gimp image sites and they stand up to Photoshop in every way. Steep learning curve but unlike Photoshop you have a user base support of millions and tutorials, plug-ins all free. The best. Great post. I love talking about the programs that started my new business and paid for all my new toys like Adobe CS3 Master Collection. Need a new job. Be a web designer and developer. All your start up tools are free and so are the classes if you know where to look. My tip; Try Photoscape. It is open source and with some creative thinking you can do just about the same as Photoshop and Gimp (exception would be vector graphics). The key element with this program is no learning curve. It's simple to use but powerful enough to make money with. That says it all.

Freeware software I use:Windows:open office (Office alternative)Miranda IM or Pidgin (Instant Message)AVG Free (Anti-virus)thunderbird (email)Firefox / Google Chrome (Internet browser)celtx (Scriptwriting)Audacity (basic recording)Kristal Audio Engine (Multi-track recording)GIMP (Image editing)Picasa (photo management)Quintessential Media Player (QMP/QCD)Google Desktop (Searching)and some freeware gamesMac:Neo office (Office suite)Adium (instant message)Camino/firefox (Web Browser)Cog (Media Player)Celtx (Scriptwriting)Google Desktop (Searching and indexing)Thunderbird (email)Smultron (HTML editing)VLC (Media Playback)Virtual Box (PC emulation)Stuffit expander (archiving)Onyx (Utility)Thats most of the free software I use.