xisto Community
elevenmil

Aol Im Virus Dont click the link

All of my friends have been IM'ing me this virus - I haven't seen this under a topic so I'm posting it.

You'll receive an IM from someone with the wording similar to this "Hey check out this. If you are dumb and careless enough to click it you get this virus that will forward the message to everyone on your buddy list. I haven't asked my friends what else the virus does, but I'm just letting you all know. This may not be a devastating virus, but don't fall prey to these internet goofballs!!!

Yeah, there was a virus like that on MSN. However, the person that you were talking to usually has no control over the virus. It plants itself and reproduces itself automatically. A lot of people aren't aware that they have it, unfortunately. However, just to be safe, I never accept any files or links unless I know exactly what they are. I've had a couple of these viruses before, myself.Some of them can be extremely dangerous. One of the viruses on MSN was actually a worm.To be safe on chat clients, be sure to never accept files or click links unless you know what they are. Also, look out for file extentsions when someone sends you a file.If it has a strange file name and/or file type, don't accept it. Warn your friend about it if they don't know. The same goes for all websites and download clients. Unless you know what it is... DON'T CLICK IT!

its amazing how they attack msn and aim and not slam yahoo with viruses i seen the hacks but then their is the email viruses oooh

All of my friends have been IM'ing me this virus - I haven't seen this under a topic so I'm posting it. 

You'll receive an IM from someone with the wording similar to this "Hey check out this.  If you are dumb and careless enough to click it you get this virus that will forward the message to everyone on your buddy list.  I haven't asked my friends what else the virus does, but I'm just letting you all know.  This may not be a devastating virus, but don't fall prey to these internet goofballs!!!

137974[/snapback]

Umm yea so I was dumb and careless enough to click on the link and now my AIM is telling me that my password is invalid and it wont recognize it which keeps me from signing on to Aim. If you have any tips on what to do please let me know.

I've recieved this from two of my friends, but I was warned by another that it was a virus going around. This is an exploit vulnerable in Internet Explorer and I'm not sure about the earlier version of Firefox, but it doesn't work in 1.4. What happens is the .jpg image is coded in a certain way as to download a program and run it without you realizing it before it's too late. The program then sends it to everyone on your buddy list.And as for some tips on how to prevent things like this from happening:1. Get Firefox 1.42. Upgrade Internet Explorer to the latest version (they've patched it in the newer one)

Thanks very much for this very important information.As has already been said, a similar virus was spreading through MSN messenger not so long ago, and it is unnerving to think AIM can be affected aswell.I am not the type of person to accept random links, but i will certainly be on my guard.

Umm yea so I was dumb and careless enough to click on the link and now my AIM is telling me that my password is invalid and it wont recognize it which keeps me from signing on to Aim. If you have any tips on what to do please let me know.

ok, so asuming that the person, or thing who changed your password didn't change your email address, go to the lost password area by clicking Here or https://i.aol.com/account/error?errorCode=nojs or if u feel better there and try to submit it that way. If u do not get an email with the password then all you can do is get a new account and tell all of your friends to delete the other one of their buddy lists and start fresh

Here is what AOL says

Online Safety/Security FAQ

Notice from the AIM Service:

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of last week's IM worm attack, which affected some users of the AOL instant messaging network. The worm, which has been referred to as 'W32/Sdbot-ADD' and was accompanied by a rootkit, has been blocked from the AOL instant messaging network. In addition, the servers that controlled the worm have been disabled, meaning that any infected computers are no longer under the worm's influence.

For Affected AIM Users:

A new anti-virus software refresh should help identify any spyware or adware that this worm may have added to your computer.

For Affected AOL Members:

Effective Wednesday, November 2, 2005, AOL members who are using the McAfee virus protection service from AOL have been provided with an update that will enable them to prevent any further attacks by this particular type of worm.

General IM Hygiene:

We would also like to take this opportunity to remind our members and users not to click on links in IMs, even if they come from friends and family members on your AIM Buddy List feature. Take the time to reply to your Buddy and ask them what the link leads to, and why they sent it. If it was not sent intentionally, but rather sent by a bot, virus or Trojan horse, that will be made clear. (Source https://help.aol.com/products/aim)

wow, I guess I was lucky, of corse I did have the latest update from aol as a member so It may have been blocked by the time it came to me
Edited by mtvoyagers (see edit history)

Yeah happens for AIM too I got a virus by clicking a link my good friend sent me I didn't know it was a virus and I thought it was actually a picture of her when it said "Should I put this picture of me somewhere something something" and I clicked it and then my Norton thing popped up saying I got a virus.. so now I don't click the links unless I ask them what it is and they reply before clicking. We learn from our mistakes right?

Yes, there are many virus's spread through online chating and people everyday that are interested about the link send. You should never open them unless you are absolutely sure that it's safe. Some ways I fiqure out if its safe is leaving my cursor on the link and seeing the real link. Another precaution if you click the link, is to check what kind of file it is. If it's a unknown file, don't click on it! Everytime I see virus's on AIM, the are MS-dos programs that would harm your computer. "********** (5:31:14 PM): just setup my new myspace [url="https://myspace.com/browser and "********** (9:26:07 PM): they're talking about us on myspace [url="https://myspace.com/browser that has links within them going to the download of the virus was the most clever, because lots of people use myspace. So yeah, everyone should check your links before you click on them!

Edited by squeaky (see edit history)

I remeber that first one that went around that was a pain, I didnt log in for quite a bit just so I wouldnt get spammed constantly by my friends who were infected because they were idiots and clicked it.The first one that went around like that was quite believeable, something that if you were infected and didnt know, people would be like "oh, look, my friend sent a picture of themselves, ill go check it out"... at least now people somewhat know to avoid these viruses.but yeh, i avoid clicking random links that have no explination, and generally make sure a friend gives me something besides just a link, but another message with something that kinda confirms the fact they sent the link to ya.

I dont know why but i try to just stay aw3ay from AOL, its like an infection thats never cured, well for some reason, everytime i use AOL, my pc catches some kind of virus, and it sux, My pc crashes,my toolbars wont work.I click to open a explorrer windo and all these darn pop ups show up and i kid you not they run for at least a good minute, then my pc shuts down.once i rebot it shuts off again and it happens like 2 or 3 times in a row before i can do anything

I don't have AIM. I have MSN and Yahoo!. Never open any downloads/files from friends that you are unsure of. Ask friends what "this" is first. I haven't got anything "destructive/reproductive" from instant messaging, but I don't plan on getting any in the future. :PBy the way, it is Firefox 1.5.0.4, not 1.4 :)