xisto Community
beeseven

Another Interesting Google Feature Your dictionary lacking?

Have an archaic or really new term that you can't find the definition for? You can search "define:(word)" to search for some definitions of it. It also gets definitions from multiple sources, including encyclopedias, so you get a lot of information on an otherwise unfindable word (including slang and common internet acronyms).

it also has definitions for non-English languages. i've just tried "define:hablar" (define:talk, in Spanish) and it showed me two definitions. however, it's not too clear, and it fails with some words.for example, for "hablar", it said that it was when you say something dreaming and blah blah blah... anyway, it's a such a cool tool, specially for Internet words

Wow! This is a very nice feature from google Search engine. i only found out about this today. i use those online dictionaries, although they are very helpful their websites load so slow because of too much advertisements. even though the google search will also just redirect and give you to an online dictionary site, at least you know which one is better. because it is also baesd on Google page ranking. and Goolge loads the links faster. :(

Nice! I was not aware of this feature before. Excellent post. I am going to use this feature from now on for sure!

138177[/snapback]

same here. bunch of thanks for posting that and letting us know that feature. well, anyways, since i read your post, i tried it and its pretty fast and accurate. go google.

Additional google features can be found here:

https://support.google.com/websearch/ These are examples of what you can type right on to the search bar in google.

Perhaps the most redundant feature is the calculator. I mean c'mon! Is it really hard for you to calculate 5+5? Well maybe. LOL. However, google's example of

160 pounds * 4000 feet in Calories

is very impressive!

The provided link also demonstrates the advance search capabilities, such as, searching for a specific file types, phonebook search (where you can type in names, city, state, etc), various shipping company's tracking number (it's scary to think that google knows about my package :() and my favorite link:(any site). This "link:" search shows you who else has linked that particular site to their website. Try link:http://forums.xisto.com/. You'll be amazed. This particular feature is almost as useful as the favicon feature. Favicon feature can identify how many people have bookmarked your site according to the download usage and divided by how many time favicon has been accessed.

Have fun...

The most impressive feature of google is Google Maps. You can zoom right in to your house if you are in a large city in north america and the satellite has passed through about your home.