xisto Community
cumar11

Is There God, Why We Are Here

Since i cant edit my post...God doesn't want us to forcefully make us worship him. He gave us free will. but i believe in free will and destiny, you see, God has a path for us that usually is in plain sight, sometimes not, but he lets us choose that path for ourselves thus the free will.

Pascal's wager would only work in a system where there existed only the two options of atheism and theism. Unfortunately for those who make this wager, religion exists in many varieties that often directly contradict eachother. Oftentimes, being a devout member of one religion precludes good standing with another. With the millions of distinct religions that have existed throughout humanity's existence, the question becomes: which religion is right?

Well, assuming that every religion has an equal chance of being right (even after removing from the pool religions which specify no afterlife at the behest of my roommate), Pascal's wager becomes useless. Pascal was obviously inclined toward Christendom, so one should take anything he said regarding religion with a grain of salt (or a whole pillar, even).

As for you people who ask what we want to believe: are you so empty as to choose deluded complacency over truth? What I want to believe has nothing to do with what I believe. I would like for there to exist a god or gods because the concept of death is jarring. But I flat-out reject a hell where innocent people go because they chose the wrong faith or were born in the wrong place.

Truth is the closest thing to a god I have. If there is a higher power which judges us after our deaths, I feel certain that those who stand to benefit most will be those who pursue truth, and those who sacrifice themselves for others with no pretense of compensation.

Oh wow, such a topic requires a very long response to give the proper answer. But I'll try to make this as short as I can. But since I'm not willing to write you a 20-page essay to convince you of the validity of my conclusion, I'll just try to give it to you straight.This "God" that we all are familiar with (the idea of it), is much more than your average person thinks of it. It is not yet socially acceptable to speak open-mindedly about the non-reality of God, which is why so many people are unable to properly understand what God is and where it came from. So let me give it you straight right now: "God," "Allah," or whatever you will call the deity of your choice, is a non-existent idea that was created in the past 3500 years, by man, as a form of social control. Ouch? Many who believe in God's existence in reality would immediately and ultimately reject my conclusion, and I couldn't blame them - it is very difficult for a person to accept the fact that something divine that they've believed in for their entire life is actually a historical lie. Could you imagine if neither your parents nor anyone else had ever told you that Santa Clause wasn't actually real, and they actually believed of him as real, themselves? What if this lie was passed down for hundreds of generations without dispute? Just think about it.I was raised to be and was a Christian for more than half of my life. About 9 years ago, when I was 12 years old, I believed in God and used to pray at my bedside before sleep. For a reason that I can't remember, the idea occurred to me that there was no logical reason for me to believe in God. And if God was good, as "he" is supposed to be, he would not resent me for not being able to believe in him - because I had no reason to. Couldn?t you do this? If your God is so good, why should you worry about him damning you to eternal damnation simply for not having the empirical evidence for believing in his existence that you need? Ever since I realized this, I have studied other religions and examined philosophy of all types. It was my ability to open my mind that allowed me to become the successful person that I am today.But anyways, I need to get to my point. I've become a history and political science major (as well as independent study of philosophy) since my atheism. My recent study of history and reading Plato's Republic has revealed the evidence of God as a human creation. God didn't create man, man created God, and man created God for a very important reason. Religion and the concept of God is not simply useless or unnecessary, because in fact, God has been a very useful tool in human society for millennia. But unfortunately, this evolved concept of God has also been more than a tool for good, and perhaps even more, it has been a cause of the greatest miseries history (this is not my opinion - just learn some history and you'll see). The concept of God (historically) can be used for one of two things in particular: the explanation of unexplainable events, and/or the instrument of social leaders for giving reason to the people for their position as king, emperor, etc.I don't expect anyone to accept my thesis so easily, but if you have a detailed knowledge of ancient history, and especially if you have an open mind about such things, you will be able to understand my conclusion. I don?t mean to ruin any one?s day, but babies don?t come from the stork either. Whatever the truth is, wouldn?t you want to be able to discover that truth without the fear of damnation? With what I have said, I offer to you the option of having an open mind about the reality of God.

Religion is the root of many evils. How many wars in history have been started over religious beliefs? Look at the "war" between muslims and christians going on right now. Many christians, although they would not admit this publicly, probably would be happy if muslims were all converted.Religion has a place in society but in this day and age, it should not run our lives. The people that are religious fanatics are the ones who cause problems. And the problem is that many people ARE religious fanatics. Religion, in this day and age, should be viewed as a guide for life and not a moral guage for what is right and wrong.

In my opinion there is a God but there is no manual for humans. We were given free will in order to do what we want but face the reaction positive or negative for our actions

137575[/snapback]

Are you saying that we can do anything we want kill, rape... whithout punishment by our creator(allah).

We have free WILL , we are not robots but we still have manual of life

if you follow it you will get best life and best afterlife.

humans are more than flesh that dies after body has died.

In islam everyone will get what he deserves, "an aye for aye" god will make the decision.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Removed large empty spaces.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

I don't know if there is a God... There are times when I believe there must be a higher force, but most of the time... I don't. I believe that if God really existed, there are lots of tragedies that wouldn't be happening. But I have nothing against other religions. I find it fantastic that other do believe in higher forces. But it doesn't work for me. Maybe that's why I can't follow any religion: I want to be me, not to follow anyone's rules. I'm my God hehe. But I think it is kind of better to follow a religion because you are guided. If you follow what you have to do, most likely there would be less tragedies. Because these guidelines make us a better person. But I also think religions help with discrimination. But hey, that's my opinion. And why are we here... I'd love to know that :(

i personally think evolution is all a piece of crap. How can a human can be made from a monkey? they have no proof of that.. theya re finding skeletons of probbaly some kind of animals that existed before. If humans came from monkeys.. than why hasn't it happened now? i think that whoever believes in evolution does not believe in god even if they say so. Three religions that are true and they are really very much alike, the only thing that differs is their belief in Jesus, those are Judaism,Christianity, and islam. For Budhaism and Hinduism and all those others.. i have no idea how those religions came and i don't think they are similar to these three. Also evolution is a reason why there are so many people that don't believe in god because they teach it to kids ins chool and many kids don't go to churches/masques. I think that subject should be banned from school.

From your oversimplistic comment, it is evident that you do not understand the theory of evolution, djluki. Here is a link to website that answers many questions you may have regarding evolution in an easy to understand way.

The way you summarily dismiss the prevailing body of modern scientific thought is akin to someone saying that a certain religion is wrong. Not only is it insulting to adherents of said religion, but it is very assumptive; that you are the only true holder of knowledge and everyone else is wrong.

i personally think evolution is all a piece of crap. How can a human can be made from a monkey? they have no proof of that.. theya re finding skeletons of probbaly some kind of animals that existed before. If humans came from monkeys.. than why hasn't it happened now? i think that whoever believes in evolution  does not believe in god even if they say so. Three religions that are true and they are really very much alike, the only thing that differs is their belief in Jesus, those are Judaism,Christianity, and islam. For Budhaism and Hinduism and all those others.. i have no idea how those religions came and i don't think they are similar to these three. Also evolution is a reason why there are so many people that don't believe in god because they teach it to kids ins chool and many kids don't go to churches/masques. I think that subject should be banned from school.

138941[/snapback]

evolution is a teory, that is what it is. ONLY a teory,

I can have my own teory, it does not mean that is the truth .

that is why they call it evolution teory .

I totally agree with you guy, I don't know how hinduism and budhisms born,

I don't think the are even a religion, they are more like believe, culture.

islam and christianity are actually really close.

before christianity there was judaism and before that there was another religion.

islam is pure because it's holy book qoran , is as original as it's first copy.

more about religion

http://www.islam-guide.com/

evolution is a teory, that is what it is. ONLY a teory,

I can have my own teory, it does not mean that is the truth .

that is why they call it evolution teory .

139357[/snapback]

The popular use and scientific use of the term "theory" are very different! A scientific theory, resulting from the application of the scientific method, is an explanation for a phenomenon or set of phenomena based on extensive evidence and testing. The scientific method is a well-recognized and well-defined series of steps used to acquire an explanation for observed phenomena. A preliminary generalization, or hypothesis, is formed on the basis of careful observation of the phenomenon being studied. This hypothesis is then tested by further observations and experiments. If the information gathered from observations and experiments over time satisfies the conditions of the hypothesis, the hypothesis eventually becomes accepted as a scientific theory. For example, the atomic theory of matter states that matter is composed of particles called atoms in various arrangements. The theory of evolution is the only explanation for the origin of life that accounts for the fossil, anatomical, molecular (including genetic), behavioral and geological evidence. Although they continue to argue over the details of exactly how the various mechanisms of evolution operate, biologists long ago concluded that evolution happens. This is because evolution explains all of the evidence far better than all other proposed explanations for the origin of life.

This is from the website to which I linked above.

i personally think evolution is all a piece of crap. How can a human can be made from a monkey? they have no proof of that.. theya re finding skeletons of probbaly some kind of animals that existed before. If humans came from monkeys.. than why hasn't it happened now? i think that whoever believes in evolution  does not believe in god even if they say so. Three religions that are true and they are really very much alike, the only thing that differs is their belief in Jesus, those are Judaism,Christianity, and islam. For Budhaism and Hinduism and all those others.. i have no idea how those religions came and i don't think they are similar to these three. Also evolution is a reason why there are so many people that don't believe in god because they teach it to kids ins chool and many kids don't go to churches/masques. I think that subject should be banned from school.

138941[/snapback]

Why can't people who believe in evolution believe in God? .. You know, there is a possibility that God made the monkeys to evolve into humans etc.. Must they believe that Adam and Eve populated the Earth, to believe in God?

--------

I wouldn't call myself hindu but there is a term known as 'avatar' .. this means like a heavenly body type thing. I believe that Jesus and Buddha were both avatars.. Mohammed on the other hand.. I believe that when he wrote the quran he was very high energy but got tempted by lower-astrels... I think that the Quran, [some parts of] Bible and Bagvatgita (Sorta like a hindu bible..) are all very high energy books and it is interesting, when you compare some of the teachings.. they are strangely similar.. ^_~

[Edit: This is what i believe anyway]

what is this " science" 

science  is not a person, or a thing with only one voice or opinion, there is many theorys is some things the  big bang is a only  a "theory".  that is why they call it big bang theory.

do you know how complicated life is, every dns in your body has it is own place, it mathematicly imbossilbe to be accident.

it life reading a 10 million page book and saying the letters in the  book are accidently written.

137338[/snapback]

and what is religion? another theory! have you ever seen somebody who could do anything he wanted like to kill a cow with a piece of bread or something????

well, i've seen a lot of physics theroies come true. and i'm sure i have too.

and what is religion? another theory! have you ever seen somebody who could do anything he wanted like to kill a cow with a piece of bread or something????

well, i've seen a lot of physics theroies come true. and i'm sure i have too.

139658[/snapback]

Ateist do not believe in god, in the history on human kind there has always been ateist people.

Isac newton once invited an ateist into his home and showed him a model of the universe, the ateist asked him, "who made this amazing structure"

newton said "nobody it just made itself".

ateist did not believe him and newton told him , "you do not want to believe this structure made itself, but you are willing to believe that nobody made everything you see"

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Removed large empty spaces.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

I am a strong beliver in the evolution theory. I really belive in science more then in God. You will wonder why... For one thing the evolution theory is probably right. It's not that hard to imagine a human as a better monkey since only 2% of our genetic material is different. Not to mention that the proofs cannot be denied. I take it for granted...I never saw God stoping an earthquake or decembers tsumani waves. You'll say that was a punishment ... but what was the guilt of a kid who died in that horrible day in december. Everybody has a pet. I have a turtle and I care for it and i don't like it suffering. So why is He making us suffer. We are, as the Bible sais "His children" ... so why does he let us suffer. A kids mother and father would make anything for their kid