xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
fsoftball

Why Do I Have To Force A Refresh?

This may or may not be PHP related; I am THAT much of a newbie.It seems like I need to force my browser to NOT use a cahced view of pages I create using PHP. Is there any way I can make it sound refresh every time the page is loaded?

If you're using IE

Go to Tools > Internet Options.

Under the General tab (which should be the first tab you see), there is a section called Temporary Internet Files, with the description Pages you view on the Internet are stored in a special folder for quick viewing later.

Right under that there are three buttons. Delete Cookies, Delete Files and Settings.

Click on Settings.

A dialog box will pop up which says Check for newer versions of stored pages:

Select Every visit to the page (the first option).

Click OK for this dialog box, and Apply for the Internet Options window.

All set.

If you're using Firefox

Go to Tools > Options.

Under the Privacy tab (which is denoted by a yellow lock icon on the left sidebar), there is a list of options for which you can change the privacy settings.

The last option in this list says Cache. Click on the little + icon.

Where it says Use up to: [ box ] KB of disk space for the cache, change the number in the box to 0 (default is 50000 KB).

Click OK.

All set.

I don't know if this is related but I'M LOOKING FOR A CODE THAT AUTOREFRESHES THE PAGE EVERY 2 MINUTES. I've created a thread for this last week but no one seemed to understand it. Does anyone know how? -_-

You could use a META tag for that effect, it is part of the HTML standard so it is client-side code, and nearly all browsers recognize it.. It is not PHP related..

An example of the tag you need:

Example filename = index.html

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="120;URL=index.html"></head><body>blah blah blah..</body></html>

That should work!

I tried a refresh code and it always took me from one page to the page I wanted to refresh. So I took it out and never used it again. Some times they don't work the way you want em to. And sometimes you just need to put it in the right file which I will not do. I don't wanna screw something up.

i think you are referring to your pages being cached by browsers rather than literally refreshing the page. add this to evry page to prevent browsers from cahing your php pages.

header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate");header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false);
or

header("Last-Modified: " . gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s") . " GMT");

Can you please explain what the code will actually do?

It will simply refresh the page "index.html" every 120 seconds (2 minutes)

If the page you put it on is "refresh.html" then you'd need to replace "index.html" with refresh.html

You then need to work out how many seconds you want to wait for a refresh, 60 per minute so 5 minutes = 300 seconds. 5 seconds obviously is just 5.

I gotta be honest, its the first time ive seen a code like this and i can think of several uses for it! Otherwise i wouldve used javascript which isnt thhe best option...

whats the process for google chrome? Thanks

If you're using IE

Go to Tools > Internet Options.

Under the General tab (which should be the first tab you see), there is a section called Temporary Internet Files, with the description Pages you view on the Internet are stored in a special folder for quick viewing later.

Right under that there are three buttons. Delete Cookies, Delete Files and Settings.

Click on Settings.

A dialog box will pop up which says Check for newer versions of stored pages:

Select Every visit to the page (the first option).

Click OK for this dialog box, and Apply for the Internet Options window.

All set.

If you're using Firefox

Go to Tools > Options.

Under the Privacy tab (which is denoted by a yellow lock icon on the left sidebar), there is a list of options for which you can change the privacy settings.

The last option in this list says Cache. Click on the little <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>+</span> icon.

Where it says Use up to: [ box ] KB of disk space for the cache, change the number in the box to 0 (default is 50000 KB).

Click OK.

All set.