xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Carsten

Css Trick: Hide Disabled Internet Explorer Vertical Scrollbar

NIce Suggestion

This suggestion is very helpful for those who are developing web application for both IE and Mozila Browser.

-reply by Sam Galope

Vertical Scroll Bar only within MSIE 7.0

I am having a problem with the vertical scroll bar showing up within MSIE 7.0

(under Windows XP) on the default page of my website //rjdvorak.Net.

This does not happen with any other MS browser or any other browser (demonstrated by //browsershots.Org). I thought the directive

"overflow: auto" specified for the particular <div> would correct the problem.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

-question by are Dvorak

IE may suck but they do get things right!Css Trick: Hide Disabled Internet Explorer Vertical Scrollbar
I'm a Firefox person myself but I must say that IE does occasionally get things right.

For EVERY DAY BROWSING having a grayed out scroll bar is a better solution than no scroll bar.

-I've had people testing websites ask me why the layout keeps jumping around from page to page. What their really seeing is the shift cause by having a scroll bar on longer pages... And no scroll bar on shorter pages. (People always feel stupid when you tell them it is due to the scroll bar...)

-In IE your layout never shifts. Which means if you switch from a short page to a long page the navigation stays in precisely the same location. (Most good site designs have large enough navigation to make this small shift irrelevant, but not all.)

I have a laundry list of reasons to hate IE, but I think this is one of the things they did right!

-reply by Matt Rohland

i want the oppositeCss Trick: Hide Disabled Internet Explorer Vertical Scrollbar

Id like to do the opposite.I have a site with flowing width (resizes according to browser area... I use percentages).

When viewed in firefox, it looks grea, but some pages of the are too short for a scrollbar, therefore some pages of the site have a scrollbar, others don't, that results into the design sometimes moving a few  pixels when browsing from a page to pag...This made me understand the logic between the IE decision to keep the scrollbar but disable it...

Now the funny thing is that I'm trying to do the opposite, I want the scrollbar to appear in firefox even on pages that don't require a scrollbar, so that the design stays uniform across all pages.

/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley1.Gif

Any way to do that?

For IE6 and IE7 you can give like this

* html body{ overflow:hidden; }

# html body{ overflow:hidden; }

Regards,

Vijay vinoth

Very simple code, yet a lot of people don't use it, I mean a lot of people want/need a scrollbar, but I'm thinking about using this code for my next website, even though you can find this pretty much anywhere, it's still nice to have it posted here.

Css Trick: Hide Disabled Internet Explorer Vertical ScrollbarCss Trick: Hide Disabled Internet Explorer Vertical Scrollbar

Seems to me iGuest that you would need to use "scroll" instead of "auto".

Give that a try.

-reply by thorongil

This is really good info. I've been trying to find a way to have all browsers have the vertical scroll bar showing all the time so that the shorter pages don't shift as you go from page to page, because of the scroll bar coming in and out. I keep forgetting to try targeting the html when I want to effect something with css. Making the html have an overflow: hidden and then the body have overflow: scroll makes that happen. The default IE scroll bar was always causing problems.

Scroll barCss Trick: Hide Disabled Internet Explorer Vertical Scrollbar

I have also try this : "This vertical scrollbar is always there, even if the length of the page does not require a vertical scrollbar."

Is it the problem of web server? And how can be fixed?

Thank you

-reply by Man Yan

Stopped my scrollingCss Trick: Hide Disabled Internet Explorer Vertical Scrollbar

thorongil you are a star. I have been trying to stop my pages from shifting left because of the scroll bar and you have fixed it for me. It works beautifully in FF and IE with- html {overflow: scroll;}in the css. Thanks a million.

-reply by BayTheMoon