xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Internet Frauds ! Modus Operandi / Reasons Behind

Hi guys,

????[/tab]I'm pasting a mail that came in one of my hotmail boxes a couple of days back. Read it first.

PLEASE KINDLY ASSIST ME FROM THIS DISTRESS SITUAION.

Not illegal transaction its 100% risk free

RUECOCODY 590 ABIDJAN

tel. +22506093044

Dear Confidant,

I am very sorry for interfering in your privacy

My name is Victor Troure,I am the only surviving son of late Chief & Mrs

Abraham Troure, a top political office holder  in Abidjan ivory coast who

were murdered on the wake of the military uprising two years ago in Buake

northern part of

part of the country. Ever since then I have been managing my late fathers

Estate until recently when the Government confiscated all his Investment

here for political reasons also has been threatening my life.

As it stance now I desperately need your help, for my life is very important

to me with the little that is remaining.

I beg you to assist me secure the only money left in my late father's Coded

account to your country before the Government get to know about it, As

the bank can not release it to me until I am 20yrs old as stated in the

original document with the bank. Now the account officer advice me to get

a foreigner to front before the bank Management as my foreign investor/

partner and the bank will grant the request, the amount is $12 million USD.

Now this country is tensed up with Political Crisis and Civil War is eminent

because the Rebel is really pushing hard on the loyal troops therefore the

Country is no longer safe me. Please kindly help me; I will give you 25% of

my total inheritance after the funds might have been transfer to your

country for your assistance.  For further information you can contact me

on my other email address: victryson@yahoo.com, hope to get a fast

response you & God bless you.

Sincerely yours,

Victor Troure

---------------------------------------------------------

Nueva web de videojuegos, estrenamos con un superconcurso. No te lo puedes

perder. http://www.ya.com/

ADSL + Llamadas 24 horas: desde 28,95 /mes + IVA. Navega y habla de forma

ilimitada. Sin compromiso de permanencia. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

????Now my question is - what might be the motive behind this guy sending out mails like this. This isn't a push marketing thing, nor it is an advertisement for any product. I've received similar mails many times before (with a slight change in language) - and I'm sure almost all of you've received copies of this. What baffles me is what this guy/guys are trying to achieve in here ...

????Is it to somehow catch hold of a scapegoat (coz there would definitely be a lot of shiny eyed people reading about that $12 mill.) - and somehow get him over to their country and into trouble ? Or get him involved in some sort of a money laundering nexus ? Or is it some micheavellian plot to blackmail a oh-so-willing scapegoat out of his/her life's savings ?

????These are surely fradulent cases, coz the content of the mails are almost always the same - with marginal difference in language and names. Anybody ever figured out whats the reason behind all this - or know anyone who's succumbed to offers like this ? What's your idea - what would they do, if supposing they managed to lure someone into the trap ? The aftermath .... ?

[tab]Awaiting your feedback...

m^e :o

it is quite simple. they lure you into giving them your bank account number so they can transfer their money into your account. Once they have your bank account number, they will be able to clean you out.

Hey man. It is boldly written there for you. FRAAAUUUDDD Do not reply to that email for any reason. Or if you choose to do that, give the person all the insult in this world and warn him never to write to you again. Tell him that you are gonna report his email and IP, which you are going to get from hs email server to INTERPOL.

If I were you, I will simply reply and warn him and immediately delete the mail from my email box. After that, I am gonna block his mail address from sending further emails to me. If your email server has such services (Imeant blocking of unsolicited emails), just go ahead and do it.

I am from Nigeria and I know what people have been doing around here. Trying to dupe others of their hard earned money through internet fraudry and the rest of them. And I have seen meny of them, some even adviced me to join them since I am very good with computers and web designing.

So, my advice to you my very good friend is this....Do not, for any reason heed to that sendee's whims and dont, I beg of you, do not send your bank account to anybody. No matter who the person is. it is for your own good.

Have a nice day.

Haha.. dont worry about that .. I wasn't giving out my bank account anyway - but the my curiosity was majorly piqued and I wanted to know how the hell do these people operate... jipman@Xisto found out a damned good ebook on this. I'm quoting his post here.. You guys should check it out:

I believe that they want you to send a signed bank-transfer thingy paper to them to sign and give the money to you. But instead of transfering TO you account then they will transfer FROM your account (if you catch my drift :D )
Maybe a little off topic:

maybe you could get the email headers and his IP and report him to his Internet provider to kick him off the net :o.

Anyway, I did some googling and found this nice site that explains it all

http://userwebs.rmci.net/alphae/419coal/

This piece kinda shocks me

The Nigerian Scam is, according to published reports, the Third to Fifth largest industry in Nigeria. It is the 419 Coalition view that, in effect, the elites from which successive Governments of Nigeria have been drawn ARE the Scammers

THEY MUST BURN :D :D

edit : I found a novel about those money scams too (it's about a guy who tries to find out the root of the email scam by replying to the mails and following the instructions) :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's free for download :D

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/83419-internet-frauds-modus-operandi-reasons-behind/

They sure did put a lot of effort into that story, fewf, if you want someone's money just say 'give me some money!' - either way whatever the case you won't get the money but you'll save a lot of time...does not sound convincing though.

The Nigerian scam has been running for years and st**id as that email sounds, they still manage to fool a lot of people. I belong to a large yahoogroup (10k members) that occasionally receives this type of email. You won't believe the number of people actually replying and asking for more information!I once found a website fighting this scam with another scam. They reply to this email pretending to be interested and naive. Once the scammer believes he's got a potential prey, this group turns the table around and scams the scammer. Ha ha ha. And they post every story of their exploits online. Very funny site. Good stories. I just can't find a link to it right now. I'll post it later once I find the link.

The Nigerian scam has been running for years and st**id as that email sounds, they still manage to fool a lot of people. I belong to a large yahoogroup (10k members) that occasionally receives this type of email. You won't believe the number of people actually replying and asking for more information!

I once found a website fighting this scam with another scam. They reply to this email pretending to be interested and naive. Once the scammer believes he's got a potential prey, this group turns the table around and scams the scammer. Ha ha ha. And they post every story of their exploits online. Very funny site. Good stories. I just can't find a link to it right now. I'll post it later once I find the link.

131560[/snapback]

Scamming the scammers.... Looks good on them!

The question I have about all this is, can't you open a brand new bank account, withdraw any money you deposited to open it, get a hold of these scammers and try to set the scam up so you get the address and bank info for the bank they want your money to go into, then report all this info to INTERPOL or FBI or something?

I don't see how they can get away with this. Someone else has surley thought of this. So why haven't they been caught? :lol:

Ok, I found the funny scambaiter website that I was telling you guys about - from my very disorganized bookmarks.

The story is, the person who received this type of email scam pretended to bite and then turned the situation around enabling him to get $80 from the scammer and publish this very funny story.

Read and enjoy =)

http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm