xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Internet Frauds ! Modus Operandi / Reasons Behind

Hi guys,

I'm pasting a mail that came in one of my hotmail boxes a couple of days back. Read it first.

PLEASE KINDLY ASSIST ME FROM THIS DISTRESS SITUAION.

Not illegal transaction itâs 100% risk free

RUECOCODY 590 ABIDJAN

tel. +22506093044

Dear Confidant,

I am very sorry for interfering in your privacy

My name is Victor Troure,I am the only surviving son of late Chief & Mrs

Abraham Troure, a top political office holder  in Abidjan ivory coast who

were murdered on the wake of the military uprising two years ago in Buake

northern part of

part of the country. Ever since then I have been managing my late fathers

Estate until recently when the Government confiscated all his Investment

here for political reasons also has been threatening my life.

As it stance now I desperately need your help, for my life is very important

to me with the little that is remaining.

I beg you to assist me secure the only money left in my late father's Coded

account to your country before the Government get to know about it, As

the bank can not release it to me until I am 20yrs old as stated in the

original document with the bank. Now the account officer advice me to get

a foreigner to front before the bank Management as my foreign investor/

partner and the bank will grant the request, the amount is $12 million USD.

Now this country is tensed up with Political Crisis and Civil War is eminent

because the Rebel is really pushing hard on the loyal troops therefore the

Country is no longer safe me. Please kindly help me; I will give you 25% of

my total inheritance after the funds might have been transfer to your

country for your assistance.  For further information you can contact me

on my other email address: victryson@yahoo.com, hope to get a fast

response you & God bless you.

Sincerely yours,

Victor Troure

---------------------------------------------------------

Nueva web de videojuegos, estrenamos con un superconcurso. No te lo puedes

perder. http://www.ya.com/

ADSL + Llamadas 24 horas: desde 28,95 âŹ/mes + IVA. Navega y habla de forma

ilimitada. Sin compromiso de permanencia. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Now my question is - what might be the motive behind this guy sending out mails like this. This isn't a push marketing thing, nor it is an advertisement for any product. I've received similar mails many times before (with a slight change in language) - and I'm sure almost all of you've received copies of this. What baffles me is what this guy/guys are trying to achieve in here ...

Is it to somehow catch hold of a scapegoat (coz there would definitely be a lot of shiny eyed people reading about that $12 mill.) - and somehow get him over to their country and into trouble ? Or get him involved in some sort of a money laundering nexus ? Or is it some micheavellian plot to blackmail a oh-so-willing scapegoat out of his/her life's savings ?

These are surely fradulent cases, coz the content of the mails are almost always the same - with marginal difference in language and names. Anybody ever figured out whats the reason behind all this - or know anyone who's succumbed to offers like this ? What's your idea - what would they do, if supposing they managed to lure someone into the trap ? The aftermath .... ?

Awaiting your feedback...

m^e :rolleyes:

I believe that they want you to send a signed bank-transfer thingy paper to them to sign and give the money to you. But instead of transfering TO you account then they will transfer FROM your account (if you catch my drift :) )

Maybe a little off topic:

maybe you could get the email headers and his IP and report him to his Internet provider to kick him off the net :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I did some googling and found this nice site that explains it all

http://userwebs.rmci.net/alphae/419coal/

This piece kinda shocks me

The Nigerian Scam is, according to published reports, the Third to Fifth largest industry in Nigeria. It is the 419 Coalition view that, in effect, the elites from which successive Governments of Nigeria have been drawn ARE the Scammers

THEY MUST BURN :) :)

edit : I found a novel about those money scams too (it's about a guy who tries to find out the root of the email scam by replying to the mails and following the instructions) :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's free for download :)

This sort of mails&emails are not new. About ten years or so many of my workmates and me got mail from African countries about saving accounts from managers of oilcompanies/mines. These people needed money from us to get their savings out of these african countries. some of my workmates tried to help(to get their share of the money) and actually send money to them. Of course nobody got their investment back nor a share of the promised profit. It´s pure scam

I get atleast 15 mails like this which usually say that they have a lot of money and want to share a small percent of it, If I help them to do blah blah blah... But I still haven't figured out what is the plan behind all this. The money they state is in BILLIONS and claim to give me 5% share.

Hehe if any1 gets a mail like that, forward it to zegreatballs@gmail.com saying it's your other mailsadress. I'm gonna have a little fun with these guys >:rolleyes:

I get these so often that I just hit delete on whatever foreign language subject I encounter. It's basically just plain annoying. But I can understand some actually believing this. An older neighbour of me (he's about 67) is learning to use the net and a computer. I fully intend to "educate" him on crap like that. I mean, he's a really nice guy, used to help out a lot. When we had issues with plumbing etc :rolleyes: When he moved (about 2 blocks away) he left us his goat and geese :) Anyhow, back to topic. I really wish there was something that could be done about this. But the sad thing is, I reported several spam/phissing attempts (usually for eBay and PayPal) but you never hear from it. Not even an automated email saying they received the message.