xisto Community
ill

Gmail Drive

In reply, I think that we are totally entitled to use the 2.whatever gigs that the give us now. We have signed up for an account and they have offered us that space from the beginning - who are they to say what we are to use it for?. Plus, its not like everyone is going to be gourging their accounts with 2 gigs of pictures. I'm not sure if you've tried it but I use it on a regular basis and it takes a really long time to upload, even on a good connection. It really is just a real convenience because people usually have to log into google through the site, then compose mail, then add the attachment. This turns all those steps into 1 click, drag and drop convenience. So really, I think this serves to save google's bandwidth, as most people only upload documents and things like that rather than 500Mb movie files.

I have no idea how Google gets the money to do all this for free. The Gmail and now Gmail Drive webscripts would need gigantic servers/drives devoted just to that purpose, but what does Google get out of it? The only thing (as far as I've seen) that Google actually gets money from is some of their advertising programs and the stock market. Where are they raking in all the cash from?

I'm sad that I can't use GMail drive because of my slow connection (56k dial up networking) but I think it's not neccessory for me because my hard drive space is enough and if I want to host file I also upload it to my hosting~

wow, this is cool and all but i tried using this add-on in firefox tha alows you to put files onto gmail, but it did it using ftp, but the only problem was that if you used it you may have trouble attaching files, is it possible that this would happen with gmail drive, and is this against gmail's tos?

use something like box.net or another official free file storage system. Or wait for Microsoft's Live Drive, or Google's own storage facility. Using this utility is against Google's TOS

I'm hopeiing that google combians all his featers with a sort of GDrive like this:copy doc to GDrive > appear in google docscopy image to GDrive > appear in picasa webalbumscopy webpage to GDrive > appear in webalbumscopy spreadsheet to GDrive > appear in google spreadsheetsand so on...

Wow, that's really awesome! I love Google but I don't know if I'd make use of this because all I have is a GMail account, and I don't have to go very far at all out of my way to access it. But it's really a neat idea. I wish some other services made use of this sort of technology.

Yay, you could use it as online file shareing ;) That could replace the USB Flash drives for computers with internet connection.

The only problem is, that the speed is not as copying the file on your hard drive :rolleyes: Also, will GMail allow to use their space for e-mail, for storing pretty large files?

Here is an online solution, based on that idea: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by ZaM0 (see edit history)