xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beeseven

Using Autoexec With Windows Xp Professional?

How can I get stuff to automatically happen with XP Pro? I tried putting stuff in AUTOEXEC.BAT, but it didn't happen. Is there some environment variable that I can edit or something I have to change to get AUTOEXEC to work, or is there another file that would have the same effect? Also, is there something like that for shutting the computer down--that will automatically do/stop stuff on shutdown?

Hmm, doesn't stuff automatically stop when you're shutting down your computer? I mean, ultimately, they will shutdown anyway, right?I know a way to make your autoexec.bat run when you first start your computer if you're interested:Open your registry editor -> My Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Run -> Right click on right pane -> New -> String Value -> Type "autoexec" -> Right click on "autoexec" -> Modify -> Type "c:\autoexec.bat":o

I think the Autoexec.bat is an old reminant of DOS in winXP. If you want to change startup settings and such try START>>RUN then type msconfig.That will give you all the windows start up options I know about.WARNING! Be careful what you change here it could cause you some serious grief!If you don't know what it is then don't change it!

I meant for the shutdown to automatically end something, but it makes sense that it'd do it when shutting down no matter what >_>As for the autoexec, we'll see tomorrow if it worked--I'm too lazy to try it now.

messing with the XP boot can get nasty, if u slip on one thing it can fritz your boot.maybe it's just paranoia :o , but i've gotten the BSOD one too many times.

I don't try to mess around with this kind of stuff. I've gotten my computer fixed far too many times. If you can fix your own computer or know someone who will for free try it I guess if you are experienced with this kind of stuff, if not its far too risky. If you decide to go ahead please remember the risks.

AUTOEXEC.BAT is a remnant of DOS. If it exists on your XP machine, it is probably because you upgraded from an older version of Windows. With Windows 9x (ME included) and older, excluding NT versions (4, 2000, and XP), DOS was the lowest level OS. NT versions directly access the system, which is why command prompts run slowly (they run on top of Windows). The best way to do this in my opinion is to either use the Startup folder (user level) or use the Registry method (system level) mentioned above. But if you mess up your registry, you are doomed to a long and painful death....well, not really, but you get the point.

Ahh, DOS, back in the good old days. So what if I was like 4 when died, I still used it anyway, I'm just that h4rdc0r3. The registry method worked, thanks for that snlildude87. And I don't really worry about my computer pwning itself, I'm pretty good about it and my neighbor is like this tech support guy at a big company.

I'm not clear on what you are trying to do, but if you want certain programs to run as soon as you start your computer and go into the GIU phase:Simply place a shortcut in your startup folder. Right?You can drag a shortcut, place it over the START, ALL PROGRAMS, STARTUP.You may reconfigure the shortcut by right click, properties, and tell it to start in maximum or minimum sized window, etc.Good luck.

How I can start program let's say by system timer? I mean my commuter runs non stop, but some program I want to start by certain trigger.-reply by vaddan

autoexec.bat

I installed a very old Berlitz language program. It set up an autoexec.Bat and when I go there the directory c:tntfr is the only thing in it. I since deleted the directory and of course all the files in it. So the program is gone from the computer. What remains is the autoexec.Bat installed on the c: drive. Can I delete the autoexec.Bat and be ok?

-question by Rocky

Program for Sutting down and restarting your computer Automatically...

AMP WinOFF is a utility designed to shut down,restart, hibernate or suspend Windows computers automatically.

It's Free here's the link

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-reply by Jeff

autoexec.bat and NT systemsUsing Autoexec With Windows Xp Professional?

The autoexec.Bat file is virtually obsolete on NT systems (NT4, Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7). It is maintaned for 2 reasons.

1. On Windows 2000 and XP the sytem will read environment variable definitions from this file, primarily for the convenience of anyone upgrading from Windows 98, ME. ALL other comands will be ignored. I believe Vista and later will not do even this. This feature can be disabled in the registry.

2. Some old DOS and 16 bit Windows applications will attempt to read or write to this file and will fail if it is not present. Applications can do whatever they wish with this file but it will be completely ignored by the system, aside from the possible exception of environment variables as explained above.

NOTE:

config.Sys file - Totally ignored on all NT systems.

system.Ini, win.Ini files - maintained for compatibility with old 16 bit applications ONLY. All other commands will be ignored.

Larry Miller, Microsoft MCSA

-reply by Larry Miller

AUTOEXEC.BAT is used in Windows XP only for setting PATH directives. Rather than AUTOEXEC.NT, located in WindowsSystem32 directory. It is just a BAT file with NT extension. Use and enjoy ;)