xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
winflowers

Skype--great P2p Internet Telephone

What is Skype?Skype is the next phenomenon from the people who brought you KaZaA. Just like KaZaA, Skype uses P2P (peer-to-peer) technology to connect you to other users not to share files this time, but to talk and chat with your friends.

The technology is extremely advanced but super simple to use... Youll be making free phone calls to your friends in no time!

Features
Free unlimited worldwide phone calls to other Skype users
Superior sound quality
Works with all firewall, NAT and routers nothing to configure!
Friends list shows you when your Skype friends are online and ready to talk or chat
Super-simple and easy to use
Your calls are encrypted end-to-end in order to safeguard your privacy
Based on cutting edge peer-to-peer technology developed by the creators of Kazaa and Joltid

https://www.skype.com/en/

winflowers, is this software legal?
Isn't it something like Kazaa? P2P?

What is the status of this program? Can we use this without any threat of legal suits? You inputs will be helpful.

Thanks

Googlue!
Skype is just as legal as using AIM to chat with any of your friends. The difference is that they use Peer2Peer Technology to allow you to chat. You're not actually song-swapping, but just using the power of P2P to allow you to chat audio-ally-ish?

This is one of the stupidest things i have heard of... Whats the point of it? If you want to talk to someone or transfer files theres already 1000s of programs that do that why add another one to the pile?

have you ever used skype?it has its advantages, trust me. The biggest one being that it is FREE, and that it works behind routers and firewalls without the need for any extra setup. That wipes out 99% of the competition right there.

i thought skype is only PC 2 PC, was I wrong??

no you can use a feature that is called SkypeOut. You pay about 2 ct per minute if you call to eg Australia, Canada, Ireland, Germany, US. And sometimes even mobiles!The downside is that you need a credit card, and outside the US you won't find them very often.

SkypeOutRates

skype is coolall of my frens are using it .. we now can make conference call online ..the sound quality is the best for all the programmes that i have used.there's no prob using it even with a 56k dialup

I use it often and i have to admit, I like the concept and it saves me a lot of money. btw just like kazaa. I wonder what their next creation will be. skype is awesome, I used it for the past two years to call back home and works perfectly. Good quality sound, easy to set up (parents don't always know how to do things!) and best of all FREE!

Do you know if this works with 56k modems? How is the quality of the sound in it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have 56k, but I was talking with 56k users for a while and there were no problems unless the 56k user was doing something else concurrently like file downloading.

The quality of sound is fine on all connections, I find that I get good sound quality no matter what connection, it really involves what the other user is soing on the internet at the time.

ype and Skype simply The latest version of skype that is 3.08 can do more than your description , im a regular user of skype and i love it.In the latest version you can have a video call , conference call and moreover the logging in time taken is much faster compared with any other messenger.Skype originally was a p2p calling piece of software , not it can be used to call PC2Phone also.Note?:A rare piece of information, If you see the technical aspect of the skype ,it is the best software where reverse engineering is not possible on it , if at all if you try to see the code behind Skype all it shows is a fake set of code,the security is so well built in skype

Works with all firewall,

I strongly disagree with this statement of yours. Skype does not work behind all fire walls , I am very sure about this and i can even give you some names of firewall / content filter which blocks skype. For example Websense which is a product of Ironport which inturn is now owned by CISCO is one of the powerful content filtering device and this Websense blocks skype beautifully. Skype has its own advantage and i do not deny that . But you cant claim that it Works with all firewall . Edited by nirmaldaniel (see edit history)