xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

OS Battles

Just to let you know that Macintosh is built off of Unix :!:

So is Linux. I run both Windows XP and Linux. 99% of the time is in Linux. The other 1% is for apps that can't run in Linux or that don't run well in Linux.

http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/history_timeline.html
From Unix, came a couple of other OS's, most notably, Linux and FreeBSD. The Mac OSX is based off of FreeBSD.
You won't see many desktops running Unix, it is mostly used in huge multiprocessing systems. Linux is getting better all the time, but for these huge systems, unix is still better. For example, the phone company's system would be for unix. The server for Free Nuke Hosting can be ran very well with Linux or FreeBSD, but Linux probably would not be the choice for the phone company's system.
Unix, Linux and FreeBSD are often referred to as *nix systems.

I have a dual boot on my machine, Linux n ME...though i only use windows for games n a prog or two....Linux is secure (no viruses or spyware), stable, easy to install (try Mandrake if u like) n gives you total freedom on your machine....Windows, well, um, its uh, good for games, and ah, well... It's got good games...

I use windows, but it is definately the worst. I wish someone would make something better, or at least = to windows.

Dude try linux.. i am. got a dual boot of xp for games and linux to experiment with.. I love linux and i'm gonna try all distro's

:D

I'm glad to see linux on a par with windows. Help me out here!

I'm afraid I had to go for windows (XP or Longhorn). As much as I'd like to join the Linux club, I have to go for the one that runs all my software no problems. This definitely excludes Win9x/ME, which are evil and should be cast into the fiery pits of hell.I would go for Linux if I had the necessary skills to program in all the things I wanted, but I can't. And don't get me started on Mac...

Definately Windows XP SP2. SuSE, Fedora, and Mandrake have nothing on SP2. I am exited about longhorn, in fact, I have a BETA version on DVD sitting on my desk right now. Longhorn however, will be pirated, as cracks are already availible. LOL, if the price is the same as XP now, I will be buying it though, just to have the nice CD, and to not have to look over my shoulder. LOL

Windows does it for me. If you know what you're doing, XP will fit you. If you have Windows ME though, get rid of it right away. Throw it away, shred it, break it, do whatever to it, because one copy of Windows ME destroyed is one computer saved.