xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
champagne

About Webspace And Bandwidth...

I actually don't know how many webspace and bandwidth do I need... :D

So, I would like to ask..........

If my website is going to be with lots of pictures(I don't really how many it's gonna be) and one forum, I should have at least how many webspace???

About the bandwidth, can any of you give me some information here?

champagne, Package 1: Requires 10 posts; 20 MB space and 500 MB bandwidth.

for more details, review this page:
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/609-read-before-applying-important-an-overview-of-the-hosting-available/

No no. that's not what I meant...

I know about the package.

The questions is, I never have a host before. So, I don't really know how many wabspace would I need.

I would like to ask the people who have a webhost with lots of pictures, how many space would you usually need?

About Bandwidth, I would like to know the information about the number of people who enter the site per day or per month, something like this.

A guessing number would be fine. :D

champage, it all depends on several factors:
1. number of visitors/day
2. size of pictures
3. size of html/php code
4. number of html/php pages
5. miscellaneous stuff embedded (menu images, thumbnails, midi/wavs,
flash, etc.)

remember, EVERY page access to html/php/images/etc would count
towards your bandwidth usage.

let's say you have an extremely busy site with 100 visitors a day accessing
an *average* of 150KB size of image on a 10KB html/php page with embedded
stuff of 30KB. let's say you have an average of 50 pages viewed per visitor/day.
let's do the math...

10KB html/php page + 30KB embedded stuff + 150KB images = 190KB
x 50 pages = 9500KB/visitor

that's already:
Megabytes:.....9.2773/visitor
Gigabytes:.....0.0091/visitor

x 100 visitors = 950000KB
Megabytes:.....927.7344
Gigabytes:.....0.9060

(by this computation you already overshoot/exceeded your 500MB bandwidth
limit for package #1 - on DAY 1.)

and that's only for a day. x 30 days =
Kilobytes:.....28,500,000
Megabytes:.....27,832.0312
Gigabytes:.....27.1797

---

now that's for a busy site :D you can do your own calculations based on
your own variables as listed above. newbie sites won't reach that amount
of bandwidth in a month so it's safe to say you wont need that much
bandwidth yet. if you do, you might want to opt for paid hosting already.

here is an online bandwidth calculator for you. KB-MB-GB :D

NOTE1: Computation above is just based on factors/variables provided. there
could be other factors which could contribute to bandwidth usage which i am
not really sure (like uploading for example).

NOTE2: ACTUAL bandwidth usage can be viewed on your CPANEL along with the
web logs analysis.

NOTE3: web space needed is entirely dependent on the actual total size of
uploads you intend to have. you can check this beforehand on the disk where
your web site files are located. when you right-click on the root folder of your
web site *on your PC*, then PROPERTIES, you will get to know the SIZE of
your web site upload. :D

Thanks!! That really helps a lot!! :D

you're very welcome :D

To make it simple, bandwidth is the amount of data that is transfered from the server to the client. So, for each website, there is a certain transfer limit. For package 1, the transfer limit is 500MB. This means that the server will only transfer 500 MB of data from your website to the visitor a month.Bascially, the more data you have on your website, there more data you need to transfer to your visitor to let him view your complete site. And if you are going to add lots and lots of pictures, 500Mb won't be enough.

I hav yet to exceed my bandwidth,wat happens wen u do?? Is your site just not viewable to the public???Can you still access your cpanel and ftp?????This is important for me can someone please tell me?? :P

I hav yet to exceed my bandwidth,wat happens wen u do?? Is your site just not viewable to the public???
Can you still access your cpanel and ftp?????

This is important for me can someone please tell me??
:P

Your site cannot be viewed by anyone once your bandwidth has exceeded until the next month when the bandwidth is renewed for the next month.

So far I haven't ever exceeded bandwidth on the hosts that I have been on, but I've seen sites where their bandwidth has been exceeded and their site comes up with a "Bandwidth exceeded" page much similar to a default 404 error page.

Hope to be of some help.

What i would do is just experiement with how much space and bandwidth you really need. You dont want to much because thats a waste and you dont want to little because you cant host your site then. (didnt what i just said sound like that cell phone commerical for the family talk plan?) Anyways so what i am saying is start from what you think fits you best and if you run out of room or badnwidth, you can easily upgrade. Hope that helps.

If it's just going to be a forum and some pics, you wouldn't need much (unless you were planning for an ungodly amount of ppl on the forum and like 1000s of pics).I'd say 50 MBs of space would be playing very conservative. 25 would probably be fine, with plenty of space to spare, actually.I would worry too much about bandwidth either. just keep the image file sizes down to a reasonable level, and you won't run into problems.

If it's just going to be a forum and some pics, you wouldn't need much (unless you were planning for an ungodly amount of ppl on the forum and like 1000s of pics).
I'd say 50 MBs of space would be playing very conservative. 25 would probably be fine, with plenty of space to spare, actually.

I would worry too much about bandwidth either. just keep the image file sizes down to a reasonable level, and you won't run into problems.

If your forum is gonna get more than 40+ members with frequent visits, u will need more than 700 mb bandwith !! I think u'll need some more fer all those pics n imgs.... 2gb of bw will complement ya well :)