xisto Community
iGuest

Game Maker

Um ya looks cool but i cant get it 2 work lol

do i need 2 no c++?

2 use it?

No, you do not need to know C++ to use Game Maker. Game Maker has its own programming Language called GML. It is far easier to understand and use than C++. However, Game Maker can use DLLs made in C++ to add more flexibility to your game(s).

Hey me and my friend are making a game, with gamemaker and just for practice but for the 2nd one will be 3D and here is where u can get the game once it comes out :http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
and it is free for download when finished and if it is a good game then we will make special editons for those ppl who want to pay money for quality stuff.It is called "Gerudian Legacy : The 13 Shards " and we will have an online feature for 10$ if anyones interested (2nd and 3rd one only) and it will be a really long story as well. We have been working on it for about 1 year and we are around 1/4 done, and now we are sitting down and working for bout 2 - 5 hours a day.Hope u all are interested :(:(:):(:(

well i like the game maker 6 version it have 3d support wnna see if anyone used the sameanyone knows whereare tutorials for the game makers

personally i think Game Maker sucks cause you have to pay to remove the ads and to get more functions(ex. online, dlls, particles, etc.)...the map editor stinks >.< and for RPGs dont use GM use Sphere(sphere.sf.net),ika(ika.sf.net),VERGE(verge-rpg.com)

Well, I've been a long time GM user, and let me tell you, it is not limited in any stretch of the word, once you learn the basics. Although it is definatly easier to make a side scrolling shooter with GameMaker than an FPS or a platform/shooter/adventure game, both are possible. GM 6.0 has made great strides in graphic performance over previous versions, with rotation, alpha blending, scaling, fonts, etc., and allow all these features to those who know very little about how DX works. GML(game maker's scripting language) is a great way to get started programming, although it is far more lax than any other language I've seen.

Easy for you to say you created GMSock(or proxy not sure...) but I have to keep version 5 just to use newer DLLs and crap casue of the restriction without registering >.<...and I initialized a variable once and it said it didnt exist...

Good one. A good 2D game idea is very important for the gamemaker.So could you share some points with us?Or is there any good game could be introduce to us? So we can learn from them.

i need an easy game maker program coz i dont really understatnd it

But if you or anyone love RPG gmaes. I recomment to try RPG Maker.It's easy to use :D .

Sphere(sphere.sf.net), VERGE(verge-rpg.com), ika(ika.sf.net), same as I mentioned above these are made for RPGs with their own language. They are also great for other games. And the one dude who said the second version of his game is gonna be 3D...3D with GM sucks just use C++(kick butt!). It takes tooooo long to do 3D in GM.

Sphere(sphere.sf.net), VERGE(verge-rpg.com), ika(ika.sf.net), same as I mentioned above these are made for RPGs with their own language. They are also great for other games. And the one dude who said the second version of his game is gonna be 3D...3D with GM sucks just use C++(kick butt!). It takes tooooo long to do 3D in GM.

48233[/snapback]

Do you even realize how long it would take to write a good 3D engine in C++? You've got to be kidding me. It takes twice, maybe three times as long to write a 3D engine in C++ than in GML. Even though the 3D capabilites in Game Maker are not exceptional or even above average, it is still possible to make a decent 3D

game with the 3D functions. And in my opinion, Game Maker creams Sphere and

Verge very easily. No match there. ;)

some people only think that game maker is only side scrolling games but thats not true iv been working on it for a few years and im 14 now and iv started 2 develop 3d 1st person shoot em ups! Its an awsome software but the best one is 5.3a cos u dont realy need 2 register it you get most of the features 4 free.

Do you even realize how long it would take to write a good 3D engine in C++? You've got to be kidding me. It takes twice, maybe three times as long to write a 3D engine in C++ than in GML. Even though the 3D capabilites in Game Maker are not exceptional or even above average, it is still possible to make a decent 3D

game with the 3D functions. And in my opinion, Game Maker creams Sphere and

Verge very easily. No match there. ;)

52319[/snapback]

Actually, GM is quite good with 3D, allthough it does not do real 3D. It does Psuedo3D which uses 3d graphics, image scalling, etc...
d3d_model_primitive_begin(ind,kind) Adds a 3D primitive to the model of the indicated kind: pr_pointlist, pr_linelist, pr_linestrip,pr_trianglelist,pr_trianglestrip or pr_trianglefan.d3d_model_vertex(ind,x,y,z) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model.d3d_model_vertex_color(ind,x,y,z,col,alpha) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with its own color and alpha value.d3d_model_vertex_texture(ind,x,y,z,xtex,ytex) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model with position (xtex,ytex) in the texture.d3d_model_vertex_texture_color(ind,x,y,z,xtex,ytex,col,alpha) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model with texture and color values.d3d_model_vertex_normal(ind,x,y,z,nx,ny,nz) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with normal vector (nx,ny,nz).d3d_model_vertex_normal_color(ind,x,y,z,nx,ny,nz,col,alpha) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with normal vector (nx,ny,nz), and with its own color and alpha value.d3d_model_vertex_normal_texture(ind,x,y,z,nx,ny,nz,xtex,ytex) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with normal vector (nx,ny,nz), with texture position.d3d_model_vertex_normal_texture_color(ind,x,y,z,nx,ny,nz,xtex,ytex,col,alpha) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with normal vector (nx,ny,nz), with texture and color values.d3d_model_primitive_end(ind) End the description of the primitive in the model.d3d_model_block(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat) Adds a block shape to the model. d3d_model_cylinder(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat,closed,steps) Adds a cylinder shape to the model. d3d_model_cone(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat,closed,steps) Adds a cone shape to the model. d3d_model_ellipsoid(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat,steps) Adds a ellipsoid shape to the model. d3d_model_wall(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat) Adds a wall shape to the model. d3d_model_floor(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat) Adds a floor shape to the model. 
And contrary to belief, it is possibel to support 3D models, and even create them within GM itself. Another thing that is misconception is that you can't do 3D collission checking, and that Mark overmars should include it in the next version, but with a few simple scripts you can easily create 3D collisions.

Actually, GM is quite good with 3D, allthough it does not do real 3D.  It does Psuedo3D which uses 3d graphics, image scalling, etc...

d3d_model_primitive_begin(ind,kind) Adds a 3D primitive to the model of the indicated kind: pr_pointlist, pr_linelist, pr_linestrip,pr_trianglelist,pr_trianglestrip or pr_trianglefan.d3d_model_vertex(ind,x,y,z) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model.d3d_model_vertex_color(ind,x,y,z,col,alpha) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with its own color and alpha value.d3d_model_vertex_texture(ind,x,y,z,xtex,ytex) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model with position (xtex,ytex) in the texture.d3d_model_vertex_texture_color(ind,x,y,z,xtex,ytex,col,alpha) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model with texture and color values.d3d_model_vertex_normal(ind,x,y,z,nx,ny,nz) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with normal vector (nx,ny,nz).d3d_model_vertex_normal_color(ind,x,y,z,nx,ny,nz,col,alpha) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with normal vector (nx,ny,nz), and with its own color and alpha value.d3d_model_vertex_normal_texture(ind,x,y,z,nx,ny,nz,xtex,ytex) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with normal vector (nx,ny,nz), with texture position.d3d_model_vertex_normal_texture_color(ind,x,y,z,nx,ny,nz,xtex,ytex,col,alpha) Add vertex (x,y,z) to the model, with normal vector (nx,ny,nz), with texture and color values.d3d_model_primitive_end(ind) End the description of the primitive in the model.d3d_model_block(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat) Adds a block shape to the model. d3d_model_cylinder(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat,closed,steps) Adds a cylinder shape to the model. d3d_model_cone(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat,closed,steps) Adds a cone shape to the model. d3d_model_ellipsoid(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat,steps) Adds a ellipsoid shape to the model. d3d_model_wall(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat) Adds a wall shape to the model. d3d_model_floor(ind,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,hrepeat,vrepeat) Adds a floor shape to the model. 
  And contrary to belief, it is possibel to support 3D models, and even create them within GM itself.  Another thing that is misconception is that you can't do 3D collission checking, and that Mark overmars should include it in the next version, but with a few simple scripts you can easily create 3D collisions.

53269[/snapback]

Well, I'm not too affluent to these new 3D functions. I don't work with GM6 or its

3D functions. So you would know better than me. But anyways, you're right. The 3D graphics are "pseudo-3D". Maybe in the future, I might actually look into using the 3D functions. Not now though. I have a few projects of my own to keep me busy.

Sure Game Maker creams it but those are OPEN SOURCE OMG!!! And a buncha people work on them. It would be easy to advance them. By the way 3D in Game Maker is pretty good but takes way to long. You could read a whole C++ book by the time you finish and example or game!