xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Does any one also think harry potters dumb?? huh??

There was a time when I liked Harry Potter, but after I saw Lord Of The Rings Harry Potter seemed kind of stupid. Really stupid. Now I think Harry Potter has become anoying.

Meh. When I picked up the first Harry Potter book several years ago, I read about 3 or 4 pages before my eyelids just fell like anvils. Haven't cracked it open since. I'm not too thrilled about the whole series. Goosebumps were much better, IMO. :D

I dislike Harry Potter very much.I checked out the first book, and i never finished it, i returned it before i even got half way into it. I just found it incredibly boring, and just did not entertain me at all. For Christmas a couple of years ago i got the whole series (then it was only 4 books). I tried to read it again, because i felt bad getting a gift and not ever reading it. But i just couldnt read it it. I respect the author, and i am glad that some kids are reading due to her books, but harry potter is just not for me. I am not very much into witches and wizards, so maybe thats why i don't enjoy the books. I have seen two of the harry potter movies in theatres, but i am not a harcore fan of the movies either.

What? No, I don't think it is dumb! I mean, I don't loooove the Harry Potter books like certain people, but they are okay.Honestly I think it is really annoying when people claim that they hate something (often just because everyone else seem to love it) .. Half of you people didn't even readthe books (the movies doesn't count, cause they don't do the books justice).It is your oppinion whether you like it or not, but you should respect it anyways. At least respect the author who wrote it by not calling her books stupid: She didn't write them because she wanted them to be the huge bestseller... As far as the age goes, then they are absolutely not only for kids. Just like a lot of books they have a lot of good things to say if you analyze them a little, and related to many issues in both teen and adult life. Besides, don't we read because we want to slip into another world and hear fantastic stories? Yeah, well, that's what it is. No one is to old for that.So, my advice: If you think something is stupid then just don't bother talking about it.. And if you do, then at least read the books before you diss them (I do not know a single person who would say that after reading them all)Peace,Amanda

I like the Harry Potter series. It's full of lots of twists and turns, and loads and loads of foreshadowing. There's a ton of symbolism, which makes it fun to analyze, and the plot is just fun to read (even as a 14 year old). I am aware of the fact that the story is probably intended for childeren a lot younger than me, and that's fine. For younger childeren, they get to enjoy thinking about how cool it would be to be a wizard/witch. For us older(ish) people, we get to look into the literary techniques used by the author and have fun analyzing them, or predicting what will happen next by looking back and finding foreshadowing clues. In the last book that was released (#6), there reveals the fact that a lot of answers will be given in the next book (#7), which in turn makes all of us older people who are learning, or have already learned, about literary analyses, start trying to figure out what's up before the next book comes out.And the older kids are also able to enjoy thinking about being a wizard or witch... though I would much prefer a jedi <_<

I think harry potters ok wen ur about 8-10 years old but past that come on, grow up...

I think so, but it isn't dumb. It's very difficult to write book for child and HP is good from this point of view. However, IMHO, level of the book isn't as high as Astrid Lundgren for example.

Personally, I've read the books first before watching the movies. I loved the books, the movies sucked. It was as entertaining as watching a person playing with a plunger. I must admit, the story (book) did get a bit boring. I enjoyed it a lot until book three, but when four came along, I didn't enjoy it as much... Something changed... When the fifth came along... Oh my... Is this the same magical book I picked up years ago? It was bland... boring... and I couldn't bear seeing this happen to a promising book. The sixth book... don't ask. Sometimes, when people write stories for too long, they end up straying from the original plot and start morphing into an overly hyped monster. This is the reason why I love reading short series. I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings a lot, and also the Hobbit (my favorite). As some people mentioned earlier, Roald Dahl books... Ahh those books where the foundations of my childhood. They made me feel very happy. I loved those books so much I visited the library everyday to re-read them! Even though those were meant for children, they could be very entertaining and enlightening to adults even. The BFG, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, everything made me enjoy my youth...Then again, I was straying from the topic... I'm not a Harry Potter hater at all. I gave the books a try (and even the so-so movies they showed). I'm not entirely ignorant about books and I'm very concerened about plot development. For someone like me, Harry Potter had a good start, it started a good fire, but it started to burn out quickly for me... Like burning paper.

Edited by icemarle (see edit history)

Well, I also find Harry Potter very childish. It?s not because it?s fantasy... it?s because J.K. Rowling wrote the books for children... yes they are good stuff, but it doesn?t mean that they?re the best kind of book that an adult may read. I think they proved that literature can still be an option in the era of videogames and that?s good but I don?t enjoy reading them... not to talk about the films. So not dumb, only for younger people than me.

I like it. However, i think that the story structure should deviate a little. You know, i could probably list the story structure right here:
Harry potter and dursleys fight
Harry somehow gets away from them and into diagon alley
Meets up with Ron and Hemione
Gets into hogwarts
Trouble starts to happen
Harry saves the day and becomes the hero (AGAIN!!!)
Gryffindor wins house cup (Again...)
Goes back to dursleys

Or something like that. I haven't read the books for a long time, so the names may be full of spelling errors.

Notice from electriic ink:

I think anything dealing with magic and whimsical creatures is stupid unless it is a satirical parody of something else. Thus, I think harry potter is stupid.

To be perfectly honest, I believe the target age range for Harry Potter is actually five to seven. The Harry Potter novels have a very weak exaggerated nonsensical story; even for fiction it seems absolutely ludicrous. It is impossible to take it seriously when Harry Potter goes to a school where the most powerful wizards are teachers and every time there is evil afoot, the powerful wizards cannot do squat and the students who know almost nothing about magic somehow always save the day. Children are better off reading the Chronicles of Narnia than Harry Potter.

Edited by iancovenant (see edit history)