xisto Community
sonoftheclayr

Super Toothpaste

I got an idea for a toothpaste that you only have to use once a week or something and it keeps your teeth clearn, white and your breath smelling nice.Basically it is normal toothpaste but with nanobots that latch on to your tooth enamel, gums, tongue and cheeks and break-down bacteria for nic breath. It will also remove food (No more "What is that stuck between your teeth?") from you teeth and in between teeth in a matter of minutes and excrete as a liquid or maybe something that whitens your teeth.Bad breath will be no more because the nanobots are everywhere in the mouth and are constantly removing harmful bacteria that create bad breath. Lot's of other problems such as cavities and rotten teeth will go away because the nanobots are constantly regenerating teeth from calcium, zinc, protein and whatever else is good for teeth.I don't know the current state of nanotechnology but I don't think something like this is possible just yet. I know I would use it, what about you? Any ideas or dream shattering statements (I don't mind, there is plenty of other things to do in life)?

Of course it is not possible yet, it would have been in use already :( And not all great ideas immediately translate into possible. Like, yes it would be great to have a car run on water thanks to quantom mechanics and nanotechnology*first of all these intelligent nanobots would have to eliminate the 'bad breath bacteria'. However, who says they're bad? There are a crapload of bacteria in your mouth, good ones however, to eliminate dangers like when you put dirt in your mouth. Plus, these "mini robots" would also have to know how to regenerate body parts. How would they know what the correct form of your teeth is, so they ain't building fangs ?Seems like science fiction to me :( Not sure about nanotech either, except that you can't translate the brain of a human being to a mini 'nanobot'.*using 'difficult words' adds authenticity

Of course it is not possible yet, it would have been in use already :( And not all great ideas immediately translate into possible. Like, yes it would be great to have a car run on water thanks to quantom mechanics and nanotechnology*

Actually, I saw a video online about making an engine run on water. It is VERY possible and of course the by-product of water is... water! So essentially, it is possible for that. But that is another topic! ;) Anywho, mini-robots running around in my mouth?? No thank you. I'll stick to brushing my teeth daily.

*using 'difficult words' adds authenticity

lol :(:P

[N]F

I would think a bio solution would be more likely especially if it's bacteria you're aiming at but who knows that nanotechnology would bring in the future...like...clothes that mend themselves. lol

That would be cool especially because some people don't have the time to brush twice a day or if they just can't be bothered. It's like some toothpastes that are already out that provide 24 hour protection so if the inventors can expand on that then that would be cool.-HellFire

I'm slightly afraid with the "food" part.If there is a bug in the nanobot multiplication factor, you could easily imagine the bots eating your steack before you finish your dinner ! Then you would see rich people (reach because this technology will probably first be rather expensive) being permanently very hungry exactly like poor people. What about not eating the hamburger you just paid ?

I've got to first comment that if people dont have time to spend 30 seconds twice a day brushing your teeth...uh...man you need to slow down a bit haha.As far as the nanotech teeth things are concerned I can't see why its not possible. I mean in order to get the tech that would make this possible I'm sure we'd have the tech to distinguish which bacteria to remove and not to have them bug out and attack out food. I'm not saying it should be possible soon, but I can't see why it wouldn't be.Then again I like often having minty fresh breath then just "non-bad smelling" breath for those 'special occasions' lo.

Thanks for initiating the idea, Sonoftheclayr. But here are the cons-

Unfortunately, all human efforts to create something 'alive' have been unsuccessful till date. What you have suggested is an 'active' thing with AI (Artificial intelligence). But that, at this stage is not possible. Microbes and germs have been created just like us - and hence they have the brains to do what they do. It is not possible to (1) Create a biological active creature, (2) That has AI and (3) That would fight other intelligent biological 'real' microbes!

I am also sure tat the scientist around the Earth wouldn't be so keen to research on such an idea for the sake of a 'toothpaste'! What we are using right now is artificial enough and further employing it with these technological nanobots would not integrate with our biological system (the human body)!!!

Sorry for these 'Dream Shattering Statements' (DSS)* but I believe that its a (tough) fact!

*Defining DSS would actually turn out to be a better brainstorm!

time to spend 30 seconds twice a day brushing your teeth

Sorry, but the standard efficient brushing time is ten second per tooth brushing from inside, then ten second per tooth brushing from outside, whic means ten second total for each tooth. A standard guy has about 32 teeth, so the total efficiently brushing time is 300 seconds, roughly five minues.Five minutes is not a lot, I agree, but it's far above 30 seconds.
Sometimes, when I don't ear my alarm-clock, I still have 30 seconds, I don't have 5 minutes!

Well my 'average' brushing is about 30-60 seconds, and I have never had a cavity, eat horrible foods as far as my teeth are concerned, and the dentist has never had a bad thing to say about my teeth... not that this relates to the topic entirely I just feel the need to point out that this is not a necessity but would be a luxury. Also, if you can forget to brush or not have time to brush now, imagine missing a single brushing when its only once a week? Wait two or three days before realizing and you're getting mouth based infections because your immune system hasn't had to deal with any oral bacteria for years... :( (Note: I have no clue if this would actually happen lmao)

Sorry, but the standard efficient brushing time is ten second per tooth brushing from inside, then ten second per tooth brushing from outside, whic means ten second total for each tooth. A standard guy has about 32 teeth, so the total efficiently brushing time is 300 seconds, roughly five minues

Wow.... that's something new to me. Now I see the need for those automatic toothbrush... :(

As for the nanorobot thing... I think there are a few points that have to be taken into account before it can be a success. First is of course that people eat and drink through their mouth. So any nanorobots would diminish pretty quickly after a meal/drink. To counter this problem, some might suggest a self-replicating nanorobot. Then, the scenario suggested by yordan could happen, where people with nanorobots do not consume as much food as they think they should be. Bad news for the slimming/diet industry??? :(

Personally, I don't think a commercial self-replicating nanorobot would come true since that idea just sent shivers down the spine of lots of people, including me. Plus, nano particles can actually enter into our bodies, so it is mighty dangerous if the nanorobots can self-replicate.

Btw, anyone knows how those 24 hour protection toothpaste works? I think it is some kind of chemical protection but how does it work actually?

The amount of decisions required of those nanorobots (determine bad bacteria from good, don't kill off human cells, don't degrade enamel, if it ends up in the gut it doesn't kill off all your flora there, etc.) are just enormous. nanorobots, to date are pretty much binary in nature. I don't know when they will be able to do complicated maneuvers necessary for brushing ones teeth. For now and in the future, I fear, the tootbrush (electric or otherwise) will remain our most practical means of dental hygiene.

There is another more catastrophical factor.Bacteria are necessary for human beings. Almost everywhere, except on teeth.That means that the nanobots have to strictly remain on teeth, being able to multiply themselves and propagate from one tooth to the next one, but strictly stay on a tooth, or absolutely stop all activity while they are not on a tooth.

Actually, I saw a video online about making an engine run on water. It is VERY possible and of course the by-product of water is... water! So essentially, it is possible for that. But that is another topic! ;) Anywho, mini-robots running around in my mouth?? No thank you. I'll stick to brushing my teeth daily.
lol :D:o

[N]F

nightfox, would you have the link to it, or at least it's name?

making an engine run on water.

As previously said, it would be better opening another topic on that subject.Preceisely because there are two ways understanding that :
1) A runner able to continue running above water.
2) An engine water-based instead of being petrol-based.

The first item I already saw it in one of the very famous James Bond movies (you run insade a ballon so you are not wet but you are running over the sea and can step inside a boat).

The second item is very interesting, and a lot of people pretend they achieved it. Of course, it was useless as long as petrol was so cheap and abundant ; it become more and more interesting, especially if you believe people saying that there will be no more fuel for our cars withing less than two years.

However, as previously said, this is independant from the current topic : having fuel or not, we must brush our teeths.