xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hansley

Yahoo Is Better Than Google!?!? What is up with that?

The war between Google and Yahoo has been going for years, and with the launch of Gmail, most of us think that Google is winning. But a source said that it is infact Yahoo who is winning. The war has become intense and both search engine sites are racing to provide the latest and best applications for their user. And apparently, Yahoo always manages to take a step lead forward than Google. Do you guys agree with this article? I don't know...I just wish that they keep increasing their performance for the good of us, the users.

Below is the quoted article from a site. I found this article through a friend of mine.

You can read the actual article from this link:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Second sight

Ben Hammersley

Thursday March 31, 2005

Yahoo is the new Google. Google is the new Yahoo. Up is down, and black is white. This spring has been very strange. Google, it seems, has jumped the shark. It has been overtaken, left standing, and not by some new startup of ultra smart MIT alumni or by the gazillions in the Microsoft development budget, but by the deeply unhip and previously discounted Yahoo.

Google's reputation comes from three things: the quality of its search results, the cutting-edge research and prototypes it produces, and the interfaces it provides for other programs to tap into, known as their application program interface (API). Search, up to a point, is a matter of brawn over brains - throw more money and machines at indexing the web, and you'll get a better result. So it was the last two that really set Google apart.

Google's Labs and API were held up as exemplars of a modern internet business, while Yahoo was seen as floundering in a sea of accountants, pop-up ads, and Britney Spears. But Yahoo has learned its lesson. Research.yahoo.com, launched last month, is the same idea as labs.google.com - a showcase for new and interesting projects - but it's better. Unlike Google, Yahoo publishes its papers, names its researchers and says what it is up to. One-nil to Yahoo.

Google's API was also a thing of beauty when it launched. For programmers, the ability to query Google from inside your own programs was immensely useful. And just as Amazon and eBay have done with their APIs, the Google API produced an ecosystem of applications and programming techniques that relied on, and fed, Google's success. It was unique.

But not now. Yahoo's own API is out, and it's better. It has more features, it's more complete, it's technically more elegant, and it's easier to use than Google's alternative. Two-nil to Yahoo.

How about products? Last month's launch of Google Maps was impressive, but not as cool as Yahoo's placing of live traffic conditions on its map this month. Google's webmail product, Gmail, caused a fuss by offering accounts capable of storing a gigabyte of mail, four times that of Yahoo Mail. No problem, said Yahoo last week, Yahoo mail users can have a gigabyte too. Google's purchase of Blogger gave them a place at the blogger's table, but it has done little with it. Yahoo's blogging tool, Yahoo 360, launches this month, allegedly fully integrated with the rest of the content they produce.

Google has an image organising application in Picasa, sure; but Yahoo just bought Flickr, perhaps the smartest and richest online application ever written. Yahoo has a rich site summary (RSS) aggregator, Google does not. Yahoo has a search engine for online movies, Google does not. Yahoo has quietly launched search.yahoo.com/cc, a search engine engineered to find and index Creative Commons material. To do this, Yahoo must be indexing the web for data called RDF - a highly advanced, potentially powerful technology that Google has said it isn't going to touch. Three-nil to Yahoo.

Yahoo isn't just back in the game - it's winning. How weird is that?

P.S: I hope it is okay to quote an article from a site.

That's one persons opinion, it's not true to a lot of people which nearly everyone on here as proved as all the polls and comments conclude that we feel Gmail is better. That person needs to give Google a break, Yahoo has been running for years with the service of email. Google has only recently brought it out and i think they did a good job of it aswell. He needs to update his facts aswell because Gmail are increasing the amount of space unlike news i have heard of Yahoo. It's all nice of Yahoo increasing the limit but is it going to have secondary affects? Is it going to be able to keep high uptime records up? etc. .. Well that's what i think about it :)

Hmm...well, I don't really like google that much, to tell the truth I use yahoo more than google and myself have always thought that it is better than google. But, the thing is, will yahoo continue to be better than google. I mean yahoo "overtook" google in the article's opinion, but that doesn't mean that google can't come back, and do all the things that yahoo had done and make their services better. Eventually they will be head-to-head again, trying to be better than each other.

Google is far superior to yahoo, the search engine (google's primary service) blows Yahoo's out of the water. Yahoo is a mediocre search engine at best, good for newbies and that's about it. Yahoo's email service is on par with hotmail, while google's is much faster, and contains more storage. Sure hotmail filters all gmail's messages as junk mail, but that is just an example of how Microsoft thinks they can bully a competetor.As for Yahoo's API, who really cares, who would want to use yahoo's search within thier programs when google's blows them out of the water, even if the API is more feature rich, the base engine doesn't compare so what's the point, as for ease of use, why should a programmer go for the easiest to use solution, they are programmers, it is their job to figure out how to get the BEST solution to work seamlessly. The maps are about equal in my opinion, I used to be a MapQuest user for maps, although I think I may switch to either Yahoo or Google, just because addresses I know MapQuest doesn't know both Yahoo and Google found. It seems that both companies have a leg up on MapQuest for Canadian maps, I don't know how they compare for US maps because I don't know any areas that aren't covered by them in the US.Yahoo as a company may make great strides in comparison to Google, especially since they offer internet services, I am using Rogers highspeed at home wich is now called Rogers Yahoo high speed, so I could see Yahoo having a leg up thier, but you must remember Google is still primarily a seach engine company and in that department they are miles ahead of any of thier competition.

Yes,I think so.I have been to Yahoo for few years and find Yahoo that it is the best and the fast website in Hong Kong.I can quickly search a lot of websites and use a much space email.The space of the email has been upgrated to 1GB.I can receive and send emails in a best way.Also,I find the email of HongKong.com is much worse than Yahoo.com.The speed of loading in HongKong.com is a bit slow and I should wait to login for half a minute.I don't like using HongKong.com

I have been using yahoo for long. But for web search, I trust Google to return me the most apporpriate results. Yahoo search, which I have used a few times have not really satisfied me with the quality of results as well as google has.As for mail, Gmail has just started and they are offering innovative features like labels, pop3, address auto complete etc for free. Though yahoo has also upped its storage and added address auto complete, it still follows google when adding features.I primarily use yahoo for its messenger since google does not have one and most of my friends are on yahoo. Not that I totally dont like yahoo, actually it is a big portal and has Yahoo groups, photos, briefcase etc all integrated, so that make it a lot convenient.But all and all, both are great services. While Google is best at what it started out with : web search, yahoo offers a complete portal of user services.Cheers.

Also,I find the email of HongKong.com is much worse than Yahoo.com.The speed of loading in HongKong.com is a bit slow and I should wait to login for half a minute.I don't like using HongKong.com

69359[/snapback]

Sorry but we are comparing yahoo.com to google.com not yahoo.com to hongkong.com

Anyways back to the point well personally i never use any of the appilcations provided by either search engines. but the fact is i believe google is a better search engine for search engine alone, but yahoo is more like a big coperation they have ads and all these extra things when you visit their website. Personally i do not need all the extra bits in yahoo when i search for things thats why i am drawn to google plus their image search is far better than the one provided by yahoo.

I guess the answer to which search engine is very hard to provide it depends on the persons personally opinion and the article is just that a persons opinion, unless we get full sloid evidence of all the research for both sites and compare one by one you can't really say which is better...

Finally i would have to say 'just' as an search egine google is better and more percise but for other things such as messangers or some of the services that yahoo provides that google doesnt i guess we can't really compare because there isnt anything to compare to. So the question should be narrowed down to which search engine is better not, just yahoo is better than google.

how many of you who say yahoo search sucks actually have used it lately? I would agree 1 year ago, yahoo search sucked balls compared to google. But, now is a different story. Google has become so popular that everyone tries to optimize for google. How many times have you searched for something in Google and came up with a page that was merely a directory of recycled search results? I don't know about you, but this happens WAY too often to me. Maybe you are unable to recognize directory sites and scraper sites... I don't know. But, Yahoo's results are much more accurate and have fewer crap sites at the top.I'll admit that whenever I search for something on the web, I still goto google first. But that's only because I've gotten used to it (plus I have the toolbar installed). The result of going to google? probably 25% of the time I get crap results. I end up going to yahoo.In terms of email though, I do prefer gmail because the interface is better and faster (simple). I think google search is going downhill. They have 2 things that are tops right now, and that's their email service and Adsense. But, yahoo is also coming out with their own version of adsense (publisher.yahoo.com).I find yahoo is winning because it is FULL SERVICE. It has RSS feeds, stock quotes, email, search engine, movies, yahoo groups, and much more. Google technically only has search, since their email, and groups are still in beta.

do you really think topics like these are useful???i don't care if that man says Yahoo is better than Google or Google's better tha Yahoo.Yahoo may be better than Google for someones, and so Google.what is the idea with posts like these? there are hundreds of topics with "Yahoo! vs. Google", "Yahoo Mail vs. Gmail", "Gmail vs. Hotmail", etc.i mean if you want to post Guardian's aticle, title it something that descripts the article or the original title, etc.

Ok, No doubt google rules for many. But when it comes to company, Reputation and Quality, I like Yahoo.There is one fact that is pointed on that large Quote, that is, Yahoo has its papers clean. The very worst fact of Google is, it hides. Nothing is open! They are not even confident it seems. Here are some examples.Gmail : Still in Beta! Why do they want it beta.. Its been such a long time. People say its 1 GB Email. haha.. My mail box shows I got more than 2000mb that is 2GB. Am I supposed to be glad about this, Or should I worry cause it might be a bug and tomorrow my mail size can be 2 mb! One more thing, 1 GB space is not possible in reality. Hotmail has such huge cash with it, that it can build a network of super computers to give members more than that. Why do you think these guys are giving 2 mb. Yahoo can also give 1 GB (which they claimed), but It is not doing it. Think! , there must be some reason. 1 Million accounts x 1 GB sounds to be a Joke. Who is professional now ? One thing I admire about Google is the speed. Ya, with a very simple interface with no images, Everything will be fast. Yahoo, Just needs to start a LOFI version of their mail like I do for my forums and provide POP access. That will overpower it. That is all about the mail.Lets consider the next thing. GoogLe Ads! Believe it or not, I have lost more than 8 accounts to Google. The disabled each one of it. For 4-5 accounts they told me that since I was already disabled, I cannot signup again. That sounds to be a good reason.Well, What about the others. When I was suspended, I did not get any reason, Any record, any evidence on the grounds of I am disabled. They just said, they detected fradulent clicks. Sure they did, As some members or competitors must have done it. But I dont think this was a case then. I used ClickLoggers and complete records of all the Clicks, IPs, Ads which were clicked.. etc. None of them showed any fradulent activity. And for the third account, The story is still worse. I finally detected a member spamming my ads. I reported it to google and the next day, for my honesty, I am awarded with a suspended account! The reason I hate them is not because they suspended me, but because I was not given any proofs or specific evidence of Spammed ads. All I have to do is belive them blindly.Search the web for Google sucks or Google Adsense sucks, You will be shocked to see the countless numbers of suspended advertiser to whom no reason is given.Also, I advertise on Google Adwords. Its interesting to see that support Queries for ADwords are answered so quickly while those related to Adsense still remain un-answered. And If you are also a victim or have any questions, Never try to call them. They will keep you on a long long HOLD. This is what their Company is.Now there is still more. Google Lauches Google GULP. Which is also in BETA! LoL, Read the explanations they give about it. And don't forget to see the language they have used. They make a drink and have not revealed exactly what it is. Well, I think the consumers have every right to know what they are putting in their body. Common, things were diffrent when it was something related to Software.. Now, its related to your health. On top of that, They agree that, their drink literally affects your body and your thinking. More or less like mutation.. Someone clearly pointed out, Why Google Search isin't beta!

At first i thought they were using the same search engine BUT google does provide more accurate results i must say after being a friend of yahoo. But, i do enjoy yahoo's interface and news section and the artists page etc. Yahoo is more userfriendly but they both of their good point.s

I perosnally like Google better than yahoo. Google got better email and more searches. But no games. In reality its up to the one that wants to search and are opinion is like moldy cheese not needed (random yes lol)

do you really think topics like these are useful???

i don't care if that man says Yahoo is better than Google or Google's better tha Yahoo.

Yahoo may be better than Google for someones, and so Google.

what is the idea with posts like these? there are hundreds of topics with "Yahoo! vs. Google", "Yahoo Mail vs. Gmail", "Gmail vs. Hotmail", etc.

i mean if you want to post Guardian's aticle, title it something that descripts the article or the original title, etc.

69422[/snapback]

I think it is good idea to compare the quality of internet leaders.

yahoo and google are 2 different company , yahoo is full service portal with lots hight quality and free prodocts,

google is only a search engine, and it is the best search engine now, in the future it will be msn search, why? because bill gates has already spent 100 milloin bucks, and more is coming up.

in 18 months msn and google will close in user levels.

it is like comparing PC with TV

Google search is good. the only plus point I see about them.But, Did anyone know that Yahoo is such a VAST and ENORMOUS site that there is a big fat book which teaches you how to get the most out of Yahoo. I think it is those SAMs books.