xisto Community
manuleka

Pointers Or Guides On Moving My Windows Onto A New Hard Drive

I will be getting a new Hard Drive by Tuesday next week and i'm wondering if anyone with the experience or knowledge of imaging or cloning hard drive partition can give me pointers on how to move my current system partition onto my new hard drive...I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.... its currently running on a 640GB HDD but will be moving to a new 750GB Hybrid Drive... cheers

Maybe you can create a backup (by using the windows own backup tool) of the system partition and then restore the backup on the new hard drive of yours.....But that's a theory as I have never tried it myself....

Clonezilla should do the job.How big is your system partition? Do you have an external disk able to temporarily receive the backup and use it as source for the restore ?

Clonezilla should do the job.How big is your system partition? Do you have an external disk able to temporarily receive the backup and use it as source for the restore ?

Current setup:
640GB - which has system partition of 107GB
250GB - empty (will be removed after new drive is installed)

So, you can backup the 107 system partition on the 250GB diskThen remove the 640 GB disk, replace it by the new 750 GB diskRestore the system backup on the 750 GBCheck that the system backup is usableReplace the 250 GB disk by the 640 GBIf this does not work, put the 640 GB back, no change.

So, you can backup the 107 system partition on the 250GB diskThen remove the 640 GB disk, replace it by the new 750 GB disk
Restore the system backup on the 750 GB
Check that the system backup is usable
Replace the 250 GB disk by the 640 GB
If this does not work, put the 640 GB back, no change.

aah... thanks yordan i will try that approach :)