xisto Community
eich

Ipad And Linux

Hello All.

I have an first generation iPad that I acquired and had been modified. Also, on my desktop and netbook, they are both running Linux Mint. I'm relatively new to Linux (I've been using it for the past six months). When I was running Windows XP, I used an app called iFunbox to access my iPad to dump movies, other videos, music, photos, etc. on to it. Basically I could see the entire directory structure from iFunbox. I'm looking for an app for Linux that does the same thing an alternative way to get into the iPad from my Linux boxes. (i.e. ftp, sftp, etc.). Does anyone know of a way I can do this over the network or directly by plugging it in to the PC? I would appreciate any help. If there is any info you need, feel free to ask. Thanks.

As said above, here's what I have:

iPad: First generation iPad

Desktop: Running Mint Linux 14.0

Netbook: Running Mint Linux 14.0

Hello All.

I figured out a way to access all of the directories in iOS. At least I believe it's all of them. There may be some hidden ones in there, but I have no idea. Anyhow, I followed this person's directions from his website (URL is below) and I got right in, no problem. Basically, if you already have a jailbroken iPad, you have to install OpenSSH on your iPad. Then remote in through Putty (if in Windows) or the Terminal (if in Linux) and SSH into the iPad with the default root password and change it. Once change, then you can access the iPad with a FTP app of your choice that supports SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol). Login with root and the password you changed it too and you now have full access to the iPad. Check out the guys website for better details. Mods, if you like you can close this discussion.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/configure-ipad-ftp-server-cydia/

OK, why not.Unfortunately, here at Xisto, we support only legit IT operations.jailbreaking an ipad is against apple authoring rights, and is not supported. :angry:Here you can also talk about legit software, accepted by all standard apple devices.If you want to be completely free on a phone or a tablet, you must wait for the next generation Linux devices, if they ever reach the public usage, and if they allow you obtaining root access.

OK, why not.Unfortunately, here at Xisto, we support only legit IT operations.
jailbreaking an ipad is against apple authoring rights, and is not supported. :angry:
Here you can also talk about legit software, accepted by all standard apple devices.
If you want to be completely free on a phone or a tablet, you must wait for the next generation Linux devices, if they ever reach the public usage, and if they allow you obtaining root access.

I thought Jailbreaking is Legal... although Apple is trying to make it an infringement
Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

apple software is proprietary, reverse engeneering or modification to software features are not allowed. The only modifications to the hardware of software have to be done by apple people, or through iTunes.

i believe Jailbreaking isn't illegal, as far as i know in the US (and most probably everywhere else) unlocking an iDevice (in particular - iPhone) is illegal... so i don't think there should be any issues with discussions around Jailbreaking iDevices...i use to own an iPhone but that was last year, maybe the law has changed...

Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

yes, sometimes jailbreaking is legal. Exactly like stealing money is sometimes legal. Usually it's not. That's why we will not discuss about jailbreaking here. We do not want to go to court in order to see if a court decision of New Zealand could be broken by an Indian or an American court.If you don't like apple device copyright policy and if you don't want to buy your softwares via applestore, don't buy these devices.

yes, sometimes jailbreaking is legal. Exactly like stealing money is sometimes legal. Usually it's not. That's why we will not discuss about jailbreaking here. We do not want to go to court in order to see if a court decision of New Zealand could be broken by an Indian or an American court.If you don't like apple device copyright policy and if you don't want to buy your softwares via applestore, don't buy these devices.

there are legitimately legal use of Jailbreaking... these include features and applications that Apple don't approve on the non-Jailbroken form... its kinda like modding your Ford Mazda without having to get an approval from Ford ;) and i believe it is Legal to Jailbreak your iPhone/iDevice in the US as well... i'm sure Apple won't be hunting down Xisto forum and its members for some discussions made during a period where Jailbreaking was legal if ever they win making Jailbreak illegal