xisto Community
manuleka

Stij.exe - Anyone Has This Running On Their System?

I'm glad I don't run Windows. It seems most programs developed for it have some obscure naming convention that does not even make sense to the user. This is where a lot of Window problems lie. sjit.exe, what is that suppose to stand for, mean, do? and if you had something named like that, instead of something sensibly named, I would have removed it just on that fact.

sjit.exe is malware, don't believe all those so called scan/scam file sites that are only checking for viruses. A good malware tool, should have detected it and removed this for you. This incredibar can be installed without your approval, even if you decline to install it, it still manages to get installed.

Be sure to run a few preventative tools and also clean up tools. I suggest looking at Major Geeks for some useful utilities, as I do not know what you need to use these days, but they should still be in the known.

Cheers,

MC

I'm glad I don't run Windows. It seems most programs developed for it have some obscure naming convention that does not even make sense to the user. This is where a lot of Window problems lie. sjit.exe, what is that suppose to stand for, mean, do? and if you had something named like that, instead of something sensibly named, I would have removed it just on that fact.

sjit.exe is malware, don't believe all those so called scan/scam file sites that are only checking for viruses. A good malware tool, should have detected it and removed this for you. This incredibar can be installed without your approval, even if you decline to install it, it still manages to get installed.

Be sure to run a few preventative tools and also clean up tools. I suggest looking at Major Geeks for some useful utilities, as I do not know what you need to use these days, but they should still be in the known.

Cheers,

MC

totally agree... a lot of malwares are installed without the users consent, i use to get this when installing Winamp although i don't really use the program i remember a few times opting out of all the additional stuff it comes with (eg. toolbars, homepage for IE etc) it still installed them for some reason...

but most of the popular softwares don't actually install malwares, its the small/not so popular ones that i find they tend to be a nuisance with these malwares

So are you comparing linux with windows here. I mean do you want to say that naming conventions for windows are bad as compared to linux??

And I agree completely that many windows programs have extremely obscure names. It just makes you conspicuous. Even some of the system processes have strange names.... (sorry I can't remember the names exactly and I am currently on linux so can't get them either). But I don't know of any standard or any good naming convention, so I can't give a comparative statement. I used to assume that programmers always use such obscure names, maybe because they are just accustomed to it.

totally agree... a lot of malwares are installed without the users consent, i use to get this when installing Winamp although i don't really use the program i remember a few times opting out of all the additional stuff it comes with (eg. toolbars, homepage for IE etc) it still installed them for some reason...
but most of the popular softwares don't actually install malwares, its the small/not so popular ones that i find they tend to be a nuisance with these malwares

Malware installation without permission has not happened with me (I am considering a malware to be different from a virus). The presentation of installation agreement is very very obscure so sometimes people don't notice it and the malware get installed. But if sufficient care is taken, then it won't get installed (at least my experience is that).

So are you comparing linux with windows here. I mean do you want to say that naming conventions for windows are bad as compared to linux??
And I agree completely that many windows programs have extremely obscure names. It just makes you conspicuous. Even some of the system processes have strange names.... (sorry I can't remember the names exactly and I am currently on linux so can't get them either). But I don't know of any standard or any good naming convention, so I can't give a comparative statement. I used to assume that programmers always use such obscure names, maybe because they are just accustomed to it.

Malware installation without permission has not happened with me (I am considering a malware to be different from a virus). The presentation of installation agreement is very very obscure so sometimes people don't notice it and the malware get installed. But if sufficient care is taken, then it won't get installed (at least my experience is that).

i think the naming convention for most popular programs are fine, its the not so popular ones (maybe rookie devs? hehe) that seem to have weird file/folder naming conventions i.m.o

Well the naming convention for popular programs are understandable but then any known programs you've installed should be understandable. The ones you would not really understand are the system programs, which usually are written like an acronym, things like ntvdm which is NT Virtual Dos Machine.An issue I encountered years ago was people kept asking me what internat.exe was and why it was running. Because it so closely looks like internet a lot of people considered this was a bad program but in reality, this program was created by MS and was standard on Windows installations. It's actually short for International which wasn't obvious to a lot of people but it's the multilingual features like the language taskbar. It really was a poor name to use but this too was due to Windows having an 8 character limitation on filenames that they had back in the DOS era.Whether Linux names are any better, yes and no, but I haven't found any names that can not be identified easily. Because it's open source, these programs exist somewhere on the internet where you can see what they are for, with Windows if you look for some odd name it has to be inside the original creators website, or maybe a forum or knowledge base where the user is asking what it is, etc. And it can be time consuming to find out what it is. I don't think MS even display a break down of all their system files, etc that they have.This doesn't mean that Linux does not have bad naming conventions, I would assume it exists, it's just that I usually know all the programs I've installed, I'm mainly a keyboard user, so I type most of the commands for what I want to run. My mouse could sit here and collect dust if I didn't need it for graphic programs and maybe a few other programs (games mainly). I also have a log of every install, update, etc that has been done on this system. So if something did show up as looking as odd, I can always refer to the logs, or find it on the net.Cheers,MC

Well the naming convention for popular programs are understandable but then any known programs you've installed should be understandable. The ones you would not really understand are the system programs, which usually are written like an acronym, things like ntvdm which is NT Virtual Dos Machine.

Do you think that the process ntvdm.exe could have been named properly as "NT Virtual Dos Machine" (with spaces included in the name). I don't have any practical experience with programming but what I know is that names with spaces can cause trouble while using command prompt in windows. Maybe the old way of naming programs without spaces and long names has continued.......

An issue I encountered years ago was people kept asking me what internat.exe was and why it was running. Because it so closely looks like internet a lot of people considered this was a bad program but in reality, this program was created by MS and was standard on Windows installations. It's actually short for International which wasn't obvious to a lot of people but it's the multilingual features like the language taskbar. It really was a poor name to use but this too was due to Windows having an 8 character limitation on filenames that they had back in the DOS era.

That's a good example of confusing names. Mis-spelled names always arise suspicion. But according to my knowledge, DOS has that 8 character limit. Windows (I has used it since windows 98), didn't have that 8 character limit for file names. So can you please clear me on this.

Whether Linux names are any better, yes and no, but I haven't found any names that can not be identified easily. Because it's open source, these programs exist somewhere on the internet where you can see what they are for, with Windows if you look for some odd name it has to be inside the original creators website, or maybe a forum or knowledge base where the user is asking what it is, etc. And it can be time consuming to find out what it is. I don't think MS even display a break down of all their system files, etc that they have.

Being open-source is one of the biggest powers of linux. It may have its downsides as well, but the benefits far outweigh the shortcomings. Everything related to a free linux distro is accessible by everyone. So community support is better here. However, because there is no (or I should say: less) money involved, so quick developments seldom occur. It keeps developing at its own pace.

This doesn't mean that Linux does not have bad naming conventions, I would assume it exists, it's just that I usually know all the programs I've installed, I'm mainly a keyboard user, so I type most of the commands for what I want to run. My mouse could sit here and collect dust if I didn't need it for graphic programs and maybe a few other programs (games mainly). I also have a log of every install, update, etc that has been done on this system. So if something did show up as looking as odd, I can always refer to the logs, or find it on the net.

I always wanted to be a keyboard user and I always wanted my mouse to collect dust. But I haven't been able to achieve that. I am pretty good with the keyboard but it is only as far as typing plain smooth english. I am not good with numbers and punctuations and even worse with function keys and keys like END, HOME, INSERT etc. Maybe I have never tried hard enough.
My personal opinion is that if you are sufficiently good with the keyboard, it saves you quite a lot of time. Navigation etc are faster as compared to using a mouse. What is your opinion on that?

The question is, is there really a need to use shortnames? People can call their program whatever they like, they don't even need to call it the same as the name of the program. They could say it's Word but the running process is called Writer, why you would do this is beyond me but it's possible. Calling programs by acronyms aren't too bad as long as they stand for what they intentionally are. NTVDM is fine with me, not many will know what it is, it would be better if they called it NTVDM but it could expand on what it's name really means.

Because of the issues with spaces being a fault of command prompt, why should everyone be stuck in it's limitation? Same with 8 character limitation on file names. These problems should have been fixed at the source, not for people to be forced to do it like that, because once too many people start doing this, it becomes problematic to fix while trying to keep backwards compatible. Eventually that's when they draw the line and cut it off completely and tell everyone tough luck.

Linux can also have problems with spaces too, but you either quote it or you escape the spaces. I prefer quoting and I believe Windows does it the same way. It's not hard to create launchers/shortcuts that handle spaces for your program which is probably how most user friendly installs should go with instead of giving them the full executable in which they have the chance of deleting, renaming, etc this can cause more problems if the user thinks they're working with the shortcut.

8 character limitation is their backwards compatibility, and that some of the programs that they continued to use, actually were back from dos and remained the same name to avoid confusion since too many were already use to that name.

The biggest downside for Linux are the leaders with goals in mind, it's usually the differences of their goals that causes the offshoots. Instead of being reasonable, maybe having more alternatives, etc they could have worked together. Biggest issue however has always been proprietary issues which really no one wants to go down but some will make it easier for them to.

Just keep sticking at it and you'll become a pro keyboard user.

I am just going to add ways to navigate your GUI programs (terminal is just too easy) in Linux which may be similar to your distribution but I run Fedora 18 with GNOME 3 so these tips may help you put the mouse down but you'll need to maybe learn alternative ways to do it in your distribution.

Hitting Windows Key brings up the Activities menu which also puts you into a search box by default, typing any name of a program will automatically select it so that you can open it straight away. You can use the programs actual name, or it's shortcut name or even just part of the name so you can select through a list of programs with those characters in it's name if you don't know what the program is called.

An example that I did to get here, I hit Windows key or alternatively you can press Alt+F1, typed firefox followed by enter and then typed Xisto's url and that was it since the default entry is the location bar I didn't have to tab to get into it. If I did press tab however, I enter the search box, so I can search for something if I needed to with my default search engine.

A more indepth GUI to navigate is maybe your file manager. So hit the Windows key and type files followed by Enter and you will have your file manager, mine is actually Nemo but Nautilus was installed by default. Once in your file manager, you should be at your home directory, if you want to work with a directory or a file in it, just start typing it and it will be selected.

Press Space if you want to just select it. You might want to press the Context Menu key (between the right Windows key and right Ctrl key, this is like pushing the right mouse button on this file) and you can then use your arrow keys to navigate to what you want to do, etc. Or if you know the shortcut command you can press that, e.g. F2 to rename

If you press Enter instead on the file, it'll run it's default program associated with it's open action.

If you need to change the directory altogether, press Ctrl+L to bring up the location bar and type which directory you want to be in, and then do the steps above again for selecting what you want.

Well, that's pretty much some of the basics there's plenty more ways to do things but this should get you started. Learning this you should be able to navigate your system pretty well. But don't be afraid to pick up the mouse, it doesn't bite and sometimes it can be relaxing to do something different that typing all the time. That's one of my biggest concerns if I keep typing continuously so always try to take breaks every now and again.

I guess next you would ask, where to find all these shortcut keys. Most programs have a help menu which may contain their shortcut keys or even a settings where you can set up your keys to navigate with. It would be too hard to tell you what they are so you would need to find them out yourself. Although most programs keep to consistency, so that some key combo you do in one program may actually be the same key combo for another program.

Cheers,

MC

stij.exe seems to be malware. I've uninstalled Incredibar which I never installed in the first place but this did not delete it. I had to reboot in safe mode to delete it, but then it comes back a few days later, but without Incredibar. It keeps returning a short while after I delete it and I have no idea where from or how to prevent it. It is crashing my X-Rite Colormunki monitor calibration software - it will not run until stij.exe (and the jmdp folder it comes in) is deleted from my system. As I am a professional photographer and need constant color calibration it is becoming a major source of irritation. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with java or jdownloader2 which runs using java.

stij.exe seems to be malware. I've uninstalled Incredibar which I never installed in the first place but this did not delete it. I had to reboot in safe mode to delete it, but then it comes back a few days later, but without Incredibar. It keeps returning a short while after I delete it and I have no idea where from or how to prevent it. It is crashing my X-Rite Colormunki monitor calibration software - it will not run until stij.exe (and the jmdp folder it comes in) is deleted from my system. As I am a professional photographer and need constant color calibration it is becoming a major source of irritation. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with java or jdownloader2 which runs using java.

what kind of AV or Security software are you using?

what kind of AV or Security software are you using?

Just Windows Defender. I don't like using system slowing AV software except for running the occasional scan. Last time I tested them it slowed my internet connection and I don't have particularly fast broadband due to my rural location. Would any of them actually pick this up though if it's considered 'safe' on most databases?

i had same problem as you... but i uninstalled incredibar and that fixed it

I've uninstalled Incredibar, and removed the jmdp folder while in safe mode but it keeps coming back and running from startup. Malware scanners won't pick it up. I can't get rid of it. Please if anyone has had this problem and solved it, let me know! I'm close to reinstalling the OS :wacko: