xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

The Biggest Hurdle In Switching Completely To Linux -- For Me

It seems that nowaday I have become so *** that I can't get even simple things to work. After I followed the steps mentioned by @yordan, and assuming that a shared folder is successfully created, I don't know how to access it.During the process of figuring out how to access it, I found that I could access my windows pc in that same way as I would access it through another computer after connecting it with a cross-link ethernet cable. So I simply share a folder on host os through its properties within the host os and it would be available for access in the guest OS. I am assuming that the NAT interface of Vmware is in action here.But I would still like to know how to access the folder created by method mentioned by @yordan..../

Well, to my surprise, I didn't have samba setup and still I could access the host machine's shared folders like I am connected with a cross-over cable. I hope somebody explains this to me...

And I am also looking for the answer to: How to access the shared folder created by the following method:

While your virtual machine is running, go to VM, settings, options, shared folders.Select shared folder, you will be able to choose the folder on your Windows7 machine (create a folder named c:\myshares while under windows and select it in the vm shared folder settings).

Well, to my surprise, I didn't have samba setup and still I could access the host machine's shared folders like I am connected with a cross-over cable. I hope somebody explains this to me...
And I am also looking for the answer to: How to access the shared folder created by the following method:

i believe Mint has Samba installed/enabled by default... where as (L\X\K)Ubuntu doesn't

i believe Mint has Samba installed/enabled by default... where as (L\X\K)Ubuntu doesn't

You can check this if you type "net share" in a linux shell window. If it shows something, this is because Samba is installed. If it says "net not found", this means that I am wrong :)

i know Ubuntu don't have Samba installed by default because i always had to set it up when first installing Ubuntu, i use to have issues when manually doing so because i had to always set my Partition Permissions and User/Groups ID to 1000 so they can be shared on the network

Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

But I am not using mint on my vmware currently. It is Lubuntu. And if what you say is right, and if samba is the only way to access the host OS shared files (like if they were connected through cross-over cable), then why am I successfully able to access host shared folders.

I simply don't get it.

You can check this if you type "net share" in a linux shell window. If it shows something, this is because Samba is installed. If it says "net not found", this means that I am wrong :)

So I tried the "net share" in my Lubuntu terminal and it said "The program 'net' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install samba-common-bin"
So I assume that samba is not installed in my Lubunt VM, but I am still able to access host shared folders... Can you provide an explanation..??

And guys... I am still waiting for the answer to the following question...

And I am also looking for the answer to: How to access the shared folder created by the following method:Quote
While your virtual machine is running, go to VM, settings, options, shared folders.
Select shared folder, you will be able to choose the folder on your Windows7 machine (create a folder named c:\myshares while under windows and select it in the vm shared folder settings).

thats interesting how shared files are automatically accessible between host and guest without any setup... so you sure samba isn't enabled on your Linux Guest?

Yeah, this actually is interesting. And if the process of making sure does consist of checking the output of "net share" in the linux terminal (as mentioned by @yordan), then I am pretty sure that samba is not configured on the linux guest machine.

If you want to know how to share your local files with your linux vmware virtual machine, have a look here : vmware.coder

Thanks for the link @yordan. I checked it and it was fairly straight forward. However, I don't know if I am unable to express my problem correctly or the problem is a bit too lame to be understood properly but I am still unable to access the shared folder from my guest machine. I need to know how to access this shared folder from my lubuntu guest machine.

Yeah, this actually is interesting. And if the process of making sure does consist of checking the output of "net share" in the linux terminal (as mentioned by @yordan), then I am pretty sure that samba is not configured on the linux guest machine.
Thanks for the link @yordan. I checked it and it was fairly straight forward. However, I don't know if I am unable to express my problem correctly or the problem is a bit too lame to be understood properly but I am still unable to access the shared folder from my guest machine. I need to know how to access this shared folder from my lubuntu guest machine.

so which attempt are you going for? the VMWare Setting Share? or the Network Share on Virtual Ethernet?