xisto Community
manuleka

Fastest Way To Share (Copy) Files Between Vm Guests And Vm Guests And Host - Virtualbox

Ok so i'm running VirtualBox 4.2 on Kubuntu 12.10I wanna share files between my Host (Kubuntu) and my VMs (Windows XP, ElementOS, OpenSuse)File sizes being shared are from 1GB - 50GB in size... i know sharing using shared folders would be one option but this seems to be quite slowall VMs are connected to the Network using NAT (default)someone know a quicker way of transferring files between VMs or VM and Host?

ouch!
As said here https://ubuntuexperiment.wordpress.com/2008/11/12/sharing-folders-between-host-and-guest-os-in-virtualbox/

If you are using VMware as your virtualisation software you will be able to copy files directly from the host to the guest OS, and vice versa. But unfortunately this feature does not exist in VirtualBox. Not yet at least.
However, there is a very easy way you can share files between the host and guest when using VirtualBox – using Shared Folders.

So, either this guy is wrong, or you will have to go through shared folders. Try his thing, maybe it's implemented fast.

ouch!As said here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

So, either this guy is wrong, or you will have to go through shared folders. Try his thing, maybe it's implemented fast.

thanks yordan - that article is about 4 years old now hehe... i decided to just transfer to my USB Hard-Drive, then connect it to the VM and copy-paste it into it - waaaaay much faster than going through shared folder (network method)

i just thought there could be a way of creating a virtual-direct connection/link between Guest and Host

i just thought there could be a way of creating a virtual-direct connection/link between Guest and Host

This feature is available on vmware, I expected a private network to be available on Virtualbox as well.

Using shared folders should be the quickest way since it's just a disk-to-disk copy without it going through the network or USB. However, maybe the fact that you use NAT makes things slower inside VB (I always use a bridged network connection, this way I also have quick access to all my network shares).

The shared folder feature works rather fine, no need for a network share.

funny thing i find is that when i copy stuff from the VM to USB Drive and then copy these to the Host it seems quicker than copying via shared folder - i was expecting these two processes to be the opposite