xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Software To Automatically Copy All Data From Usb Stick

I use my usb stick alot to transfer data from one computer to another. Sometimes the transferring gets so extensive that I try to look for ways to save some effort on my part. One possible solution to save considerable amount of effort would be a software that would make the process of copying automatic.So the software should start copying files to a location (user specified) as soon as I enter the usb stick. For security puposes, there should be an option to specify a usb stick with certain volume label and the process of copying should be automated only for that particular usb stick. It would be a plus point, If there are additional options to automate the process for all usb sticks.I would also like to have certain extra features in the software. Like making specific sound when the process of copying starts and stops. With this feature present, I would also love some hidden mode feature that bring the distraction to minimal. So as soon as I put a usb stick into the computer where I have installed the software, a sound should be made to confirm that the process of copying has started. Then whether something is displayed to show the process of copying or not, is not an issue but the software should make another different sound when the process of copying is completed.An opne-source software would be preferred but I would definitely like to know about other solutions as well.

I've never heard of any application being able to do stuff like that, at least not on windows. To me it looks more like something that could be done in linux :) .

My best guess is that you create a batch file for every stick and store it there and as soon as you insert the stick your computer you just launch the batch file.

xcopy ./dirToCopy c:/destination/to/copy/to /E /Q /H /R /T /Ydel ./dirToCopy /F /S /Qmsg * Copy process finished

This will copy and overwrite all existing files and afterwards remove the files from you USB drive. If everything is finished you'll get a pop-up.

Ps. you might also try something like Microsoft SyncToy or SyncBack...

I've never heard of any application being able to do stuff like that, at least not on windows. To me it looks more like something that could be done in linux :) .
My best guess is that you create a batch file for every stick and store it there and as soon as you insert the stick your computer you just launch the batch file.

xcopy ./dirToCopy c:/destination/to/copy/to /E /Q /H /R /T /Ydel ./dirToCopy /F /S /Qmsg * Copy process finished

This will copy and overwrite all existing files and afterwards remove the files from you USB drive. If everything is finished you'll get a pop-up.

Ps. you might also try something like Microsoft SyncToy or SyncBack...
I would add the "/D" option, which keeps track of the date. So, old files are copied once, next time they are not copied if the creation date is not newer than the ones on the USB.

I would add the "/D" option, which keeps track of the date. So, old files are copied once, next time they are not copied if the creation date is not newer than the ones on the USB.

yip agree... simple hack to keep things clean, unless you manually do the cleaning up yourself and filter what you would wanna keep and not

@ yordan... I understood the solution you provided (in theory) but I don't have the technical skills to create batch files or other scripts as you have mentioned. So maybe you can explain the complete procedure in a step by step fashion for noobs like me.. Or maybe you can create a tutorial for this... That would be helpful for many.... I guess...

@ yordan... I understood the solution you provided (in theory) but I don't have the technical skills to create batch files or other scripts as you have mentioned. So maybe you can explain the complete procedure in a step by step fashion for noobs like me.. Or maybe you can create a tutorial for this... That would be helpful for many.... I guess...

Read the complete description I made here : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/24988-how-to-setup-your-brand-new-pc/
'>http://forums.xisto.com/topic/24988-how-to-setup-your-brand-new-pc/

The part starting with "create a textfile named dailybackup.bat"

Now I have started to get some idea of how it is going to work... I will spare some time for this little project and see how it goes... thanks @yordan for the link... and the tutorial as well..