xisto Community
manuleka

Hard-Drive Testing Tools

write and verify data until the disk is full (but this takes a lot of time and I wouldn't know what tool to use)

Just 7zipt a big folder.Then add the ZIP file inside the folder, and restart. And put the zipfile inside the folder. This will grow exponentially. Then a simple verify.

@manuleka: in most cases that's normal. Those smaller drives park their heads a lot quicker and more often than regular drives in order to protect the disk in case you drop your laptop.

Concerning your test: I'd simply format the drive and use it, I have a few 20 years old disk drives that still work like a charm. From the beginning these things have had a large fault tolerance and they are hard to destroy when they're not running. If you really need to be 100% sure you can:

read out the SMART values. It might sound odd, but I use SpeedFan for this because it provides you with an interesting on-line in-depth analysis

write and verify data until the disk is full (but this takes a lot of time and I wouldn't know what tool to use)

listen, listen and listen. Mechanical failures are easy to spot as long as you listen carefully.

20 years :rolleyes: WOW... the ones i've tested so far (plugged onto the PC) have been working fine other than two drives 500GB SATA 2.5" which i was hoping it would work because it probably the largest of the lot

I found a couple of old 10GB and 20GB IDE drives and they do make some noise when plugged in but they run fine :) ... noise could be due to their age - older drives tend to be a bit louder than the recently made ones