xisto Community
manuleka

L2 Cache Advantage On Vmware 8

I'm upgrading my CPU to run VMware 8... now my two choices are Core 2 Duo E6400 vs E6600I notice that the E6400 has 2MB L2 Cache running at 2.13Ghz where as E6600 has 4MB L2 Cache running at 2.4GHzI most probably will be running no more than 3 or 4 VMware Machines so my question is, would the 4MB L2 Cache and extra 300MHz have much noticeable gain in performance?

I guess that the main problem is somewhere else.If you are running Windows machines, you need about 4 gigs memory for each virtual machine, plus 4 gigs on your main machine. How much memory do you have on your system? I guess that you don't have more than 20 gigs memory, so you cannot confortably run 4 virtual machines.

If you are running Windows machines, you need about 4 gigs memory for each virtual machine, plus 4 gigs on your main machine.

This is new knowledge for me and I am amazed in rather a bad way because this is too much requirement.
just out of curiosity.. what if he wants to run linux on his virtual machines. what would be the requirement then?

I guess that the main problem is somewhere else.If you are running Windows machines, you need about 4 gigs memory for each virtual machine, plus 4 gigs on your main machine. How much memory do you have on your system? I guess that you don't have more than 20 gigs memory, so you cannot confortably run 4 virtual machines.

4GB Memory for each VM? are you sure? I've run Windows XP on Virtual Box with 512MB assigned RAM on a 2GB RAM Laptop... by the way my PC has 4GB Physical RAM

I'm think VMware 8 can run 3 or 4 VMs on 4GB RAM - 2 for Host... 512MB each for 2 XPs and 2 Linux VMs....

I've never used VMware before so i'm just curious to know if the double in size of L2 Cache on CPU would have a significant effect on VMware 8 performance...

4GB Memory for each VM? are you sure?

It's not a vmware feature. Simply, a Windows system uses today about 4 gigs, if you want to open a surf on the network, look at a movie and play a game. If your system starts swapping, you will have low performances, whether you have a physical or a virtual machine. 512 megs is very small, and probably surfing on the net will not be very fluid.

will see... i will test this in the next couple of days and post... but yea i have run 2 VMs on a 2GB RAM - assigning 1GB for host and 512MB for the two VMs and they worked fine... i only used them for surfing and fiddling around with networking features for self-educational purposes, like running HTTP Server and testing File sharing... i don't do anything else on them...

When I was running Windows XP on this machine. I allocated 512mb to ubuntu and remaining 1gb was given to host. I don't think windows needs 4g RAM for host. In fact old windows versions can run fine with small linux distros on 256 and host windows running on 512mb RAM. If you're running under linux then I guess it can even run for more RAM for guest. Most of the time if the linux is under xfce or other window manager then surely it won't take much RAM. In that case it is better to assign moreram. But I never run two vms at a time on linux for many reasons. One is i have never found the usefulness of running the VM side by side atleast for my work. I would like to see if there are any such situations where I have to do that. By the way, I am sure that this feature for L2 Cache will come soon on Virtualbox. I am using that on xubuntu as of now. It is simple and works great. I am sure it is not a replacement for the vmware but it is nice virtual machine software for linux users.

In fact old windows versions

We were talking about Windows8 systems, not old windows systems.My 512Megs Windows system with Firefox was really slow, with the scren freezing very often. When I added 1 gig memory, everything start running fluently.

Official hardware requirement for the Windows 8 is not out yet. Atleast not for the final release. I see some of the developer and consumer preview systems running on 512 mb and 1gb but sitl not sure how to think about this new slideshow metro crap. I guess disabling it will save a lot of time and increase the productivity of the users.I will not test firefox in such case. Because the base app itself it very high and takes a lot of amount of resources. So maybe something like chrome or opera are much light in comparison to firefox. Also the net should be no issue even under the Vmware. I think it takes vmware quite fine in my opinion. Just not sure why it lags even if you allot some decent ram.

so i tested VMware Workstation 8 on my Core 2 Duo E6400, Windows XP Pro 32bit, 4GB RAM machinecreated 3 VMs...1 - MS-DOS 6.222 - LXDE Mint 12 32bit3 - Xubuntu 11.10 32bitfired them all up, they seem to run quite smooth...now i'm going to test 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate on VM...i've always wondered if a 64bit VM would run ok on a 32bit host, and also considering this setup is XP Pro hosting a Windows 7

Edited by manuleka (see edit history)