xisto Community
mahesh2k

Cpu Heat And Screen Freezing

Just to update this thread, the computer reported in the OP is died. After 10 years of service, this guy finally failed on me. I changed the fan and turned on the machine and since then it fails to bootup. Connections are fine so most likely the CPU or the motherboard is died on me. As the machine is quite old and the components are hardly in demand, i am going to keep the trash at home anyway.I do see that DDR RAM is useful for other people so I may send it to someone who needs it. I also think that some other components are useful as well and most likely i will donate that to the hardware needy organizations like debian or some other NGO. That aside, rest of the stuff will be used for some other purpose. I don;t know what to do with the case lol.As for ahsan's last post, yes i agree that vaccum cleaner or blower usually helps to clean the dust from the laptop. In fact one doesn't need cooler in most situations if there is vaccum cleaner to clean the dust. I have so far managed fine with vaccum cleaner on slow speed to clean the dust. Blower can be good but should be used in caution not to damage by opening laptop and blowing it on temperature sensors.

@yordan, it is sorry to hear that your old friend died on you after serving you for 10 years. And it is also nice of you to think of donating the remaining stuff so that they can be used for good.However, if I were you, and I really had the need for another system, I would have bought another motherboard and put all the remaining components in that. But this is a need based scenario and a better option is always to go for newer technology even if you have to pay extra money.And for the last part, I should say that use of blower should be done with great care as it has the potential to damage laptop components which are relatively fragile.

Thing about borrowing or buying alternate hardware to keep the current going is quite hard for me. I mean processor and motherboard are gone but it seems to me that RAM is working fine and so is HDD and display. So getting older yet functional hardware for say processor and motherboard is not quite easy for me here in my city.I do want to see if there is any option but most likely i have to hold down on that puchase because older hardware here is less likely to be reliable so donating is much better as these are separate items and could be useful for someone else.I finally figured out the reason of the CPU heat which is current environment temperature here. We have 44 degrees here and i this is quite hot for any type of computer regardless of the fan or the other cooling solutions. I am sure laptops can be managed here but even they do need some cool air or else they are going to have issues with temperature here as well.I am planning to get one laptop cooler which will help me keep the current laptop cool and in turn i can also experiment with old setup to see if it performs under the hot temperature which is highly unlikely anyway.

The other problem is a funny feature. Device aging tests are usually made by overheating the devices. So, remember that the temperature inside the box is twice the room temperature.Then, using computers in a room where the temperature is about 44 degrees instead of 20 degrees will make an artificial aging test, and the cpu will last twice less than in standard conditions.That means that a standard system board and peripherals will last one or two years instead of two to tens years.This is not a problem if you knew this and nevertheless decided to buy this thing. If not, you will be surprised how fast your device stops working.

Well, this pentium 4 was quite rigid in my opinion. It had issues once in a while but never too much like this too cause the total stopping of it. I guess motherboards are maxed out to its full potential. Also 44 degrees was not the temperature here for quite some time but it was for last 2 or so years. I have noticed earlier temperature to be much cooler.Yordan, it is funny because i am not sure how the PC's or laptops are going to last with such hard testing every summer. Last summer temperature was max 40 and each year it seems it is increasing by 2. So it will be interesting to see how the peoplnie in this part of the world are going to keep their laptops or pcs. I am sure that PC desktop ones can be kept for longer with cooling techniques.It is hard to do this in case of laptops because most of the time we carry it wherever we go and this often bring us in a position where there is too much temperature. That is why i am a bit concerned with this. I am sure that local laptop manufacturers are going to work on it more harder now to keep the hardware performing because otherwise they';ll get more complaints during warranty period.

Well, this pentium 4 was quite rigid in my opinion. It had issues once in a while but never too much like this too cause the total stopping of it. I guess motherboards are maxed out to its full potential. Also 44 degrees was not the temperature here for quite some time but it was for last 2 or so years. I have noticed earlier temperature to be much cooler.
Yordan, it is funny because i am not sure how the PC's or laptops are going to last with such hard testing every summer. Last summer temperature was max 40 and each year it seems it is increasing by 2. So it will be interesting to see how the peoplnie in this part of the world are going to keep their laptops or pcs. I am sure that PC desktop ones can be kept for longer with cooling techniques.

It is hard to do this in case of laptops because most of the time we carry it wherever we go and this often bring us in a position where there is too much temperature. That is why i am a bit concerned with this. I am sure that local laptop manufacturers are going to work on it more harder now to keep the hardware performing because otherwise they';ll get more complaints during warranty period.

Laptops are awesome due to portability and quietness, but portability increases wear and tear... i always try and use my laptop on a table, but every now and then i tend to forget and end up sitting on my bed with it on my lap hehe...

Most of the new laptops are light in weight and i don't think there is any issue with keeping them on lap or bed. Only thing is not to keep them on plastic surface because they get heated more quickly if placed on plastic surface and other stuff that increases heat. I have this vostro 1550 laptop which is quite heavy for no idea why. It has heat sink or ventilation stuff, whatever we call it on the left side. It is also quite heavy so i can't keep on my lap and use it.If laptops are lightweight then they are less likely to have venti-lation spots and also the space is tightly adjust. These are the types of laptops which are quite easy to get heated. This is my observation so far and will surely change based on the laptop model. Expensive laptops like Mac AIR usually have more fans and that way they are made to handle the heat.One more thing I have noticed that new li-on batteries can be plugged in to the AC for hours and there is no issue on battery. That doesn't affect the performance of the battery. I am sure that after so many years batteries are now improving. This will also change the heat that circulates within the laptop. So if batteries are taken care of then all that remains is GPU heat.

Most of the new laptops are light in weight and i don't think there is any issue with keeping them on lap or bed. Only thing is not to keep them on plastic surface because they get heated more quickly if placed on plastic surface and other stuff that increases heat. I have this vostro 1550 laptop which is quite heavy for no idea why. It has heat sink or ventilation stuff, whatever we call it on the left side. It is also quite heavy so i can't keep on my lap and use it.

one of the reasons why I recommend using a flat surfaces like tables for laptop is due to its ventilation systems easily collecting dust, they will be likely to collect more debris

Well, this pentium 4 was quite rigid in my opinion. It had issues once in a while but never too much like this too cause the total stopping of it. I guess motherboards are maxed out to its full potential. Also 44 degrees was not the temperature here for quite some time but it was for last 2 or so years. I have noticed earlier temperature to be much cooler.

In my experience, all proper sized desktop computers (not the minis) are quite rigid. They tend to tolerate physical as well as power stresses. For instance, my old p4 used to be extremely stable before breaking down. I had enabled to "auto power on" feature in the bios of that Dell optiplex system and this meant that it was turned on all the time. The primary reason for this was that I used to download quite a lot of stuff and because of frequent power failures, I had to turn on my pc manually every now and then. Though this feature was quite handy for me, but it was also very stressful for the hardware. And possibly because of such harsh use, I had frequent complaint of hard disk failure but nothing except that for many years.

Yordan, it is funny because i am not sure how the PC's or laptops are going to last with such hard testing every summer. Last summer temperature was max 40 and each year it seems it is increasing by 2. So it will be interesting to see how the peoplnie in this part of the world are going to keep their laptops or pcs. I am sure that PC desktop ones can be kept for longer with cooling techniques.

Well, summer in my area is also very hot; ranging between 40 and 50 degrees celsius. But I think that these temperatures are not the ones inside houses or rooms. Even with fan off, you are very unlikely to get 45 or 50 degrees celsius inside a properly built house. In my opinion, these temperatures range from 35-40 degrees. Although these are still very high temperatures, but at least they are better than the 45 or 50 degrees. From my experience, I can tell that desktops can tolerate higher temperatures than laptops before the temperature starts to affect the performance of the machine. It means that laptops tend to get slower at lower temperatures as compared to desktops. But laptops have numerous other advantages and this disadvantage can be overlooked.

It is hard to do this in case of laptops because most of the time we carry it wherever we go and this often bring us in a position where there is too much temperature. That is why i am a bit concerned with this. I am sure that local laptop manufacturers are going to work on it more harder now to keep the hardware performing because otherwise they';ll get more complaints during warranty period.

There is no reason why we cannot use our laptops as desktop replacements. I mean there is always an option available to fix your laptop on your table and to use the option of moving it around as a luxury. This is how I use my laptop. In fact, the laptop saves precious space on your desk as well, and the slight decrease in performance can be overlooked if you have decent configuration laptop.
Most people in the west have a desktop for their home/office use and a laptop for portability. I say, why not have a laptop for home/office use and another laptop for portability. It might sound strange but it is perfectly practical and worthy.

There is no reason why we cannot use our laptops as desktop replacements. I mean there is always an option available to fix your laptop on your table and to use the option of moving it around as a luxury. This is how I use my laptop. In fact, the laptop saves precious space on your desk as well, and the slight decrease in performance can be overlooked if you have decent configuration laptop.Most people in the west have a desktop for their home/office use and a laptop for portability. I say, why not have a laptop for home/office use and another laptop for portability. It might sound strange but it is perfectly practical and worthy.

I totally agree, laptop is much more quieter and space saving... If I had a spare 2 grand I would get myself a laptop replacement for my PC and just use it on my desk and sell the PC...

Laptops are getting better and more powerful now a days, price is also getting lower too.... but not low enough for me hehe

The reason many office/work based users don't use laptop is because of the reason like - big screen, more computing power and ability of not being portable. In office and university and some work areas, they don't want the machines to be portable. Imagine apple, IBM and MS paying for portable computers and data or internal stuff getting leaked. Same is the case of university.There are some offices which can tolerate portability like say educational insitutes or recruitment offices or others where data is not sensitive to the operation of the business or organization and purely used as a means to get work done. That is why laptop is possible in some cases and not all for the office.Also don't ignore big screen requirement. Some of the Mac machines are sold with bigger screen in audio and video studios, they can use laptop too but big screen is requirement in many office and work situations which laptops can't cater. And we are not talking about 17'' screens, but more bigger than that.Another point is heat. Imagine some of the hot regions in the city in asia like say you live nearby a bakerty/restaurant and the heat generated from those places affect your machines. So portability can't fix these issues all the time. We asians are in hottest region and hardly we are going to see anything below 40 deg in future.