xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Best Microsoft Word Alternative For Android

best word alternative for android:after getting my first androod phone, i realized that i can use it to make posts on my website on places where normally i cannot carry my laptop. On my laptop, i use microsoft word 2010 for all my wriing needs. it is so complete for my needs that i never really went for an alternative. Now the sad news is that word 2010 might not have been customized for android and to be able to use my handset for creating large posts, i need a good alternative. I am currently using kingsoft office app. it is free to download and is good to usewith some basic functionality but there are few glitches that are driving me nuts.first glitch is that there is no proper selection method and.moving the cursor forward or backwards is just a pain in the ***.second issue is the capitalization thing. holding shift key on a physical keyboard is just an easy thing to do but on a virtual keyboard, it is as troublesome as hell, atleast for me. so capitalizing the first letter of the sentence or an i is very difficult when it is not automatic.There are other minor glitches as well but these are the the major ones and the app would be very usable if these were fixed.so any office app with basic functions plus good selection and cursor movement methods as well as automatic capitalization would be the dream app for me at present time.

Operating touch screen phone and then creating office docs and other office based stuff is one of the hardest thing you can do. I have seen that using touch screen makes it hard to type and switch between things. Anyway, that's android for you.

I thought Sony has pre-installed version of the office apps. Atleast it's previous phones had quickoffice in android based phones.

So here are some of the office apps.

Quickoffice Free

Thinkfree office

Google docs

I know google docs app is kinda hard to use across any platform be it blackberry or android. Anyway, try them if you want. I can't post links because I am using mobile and it is hard to format(I tried but....) and post.

Operating touch screen phone and then creating office docs and other office based stuff is one of the hardest thing you can do. I have seen that using touch screen makes it hard to type and switch between things. Anyway, that's android for you.

In my opinion, the hard part is formatting, not typing. And luckily, I don't need to format the documents on the android phone as I am used to do this on my website's own editor. I just use microsoft word (or the android alternative) to make plain documents. The reason I use these software instead of the text editor of the wbsite is that they give me more control over spelling and grammatical mistakes plus I can work with them when I am offline.

Furthermore, I enjoy typing on my android phone. Probably, it is because the phone is still new to me and the experience is still exciting (and probably it will fade away with time) but as of now, I enjoy doing it. I tested my typing speed on my android phone, and it came out to be about 150 keystrokes a minute. That is about 30 words per minute. This speed is nowhere near the speed on my physical keyboard of the pc (which is about 60 wpm) but still I think it is good enough to be used for large text documents. What is good about it is that there is a lot of room for improvement as I am still new to the interface and yet I have been able to extract a speed of 30 wpm out of my device.

And yes, if formatting the text is what someone wants to do, then I am afraid on screen keyboards are not the way to go.

I thought Sony has pre-installed version of the office apps. Atleast it's previous phones had quickoffice in android based phones.

So here are some of the office apps.

Quickoffice Free

Thinkfree office

Google docs

I know google docs app is kinda hard to use across any platform be it blackberry or android. Anyway, try them if you want. I can't post links because I am using mobile and it is hard to format(I tried but....) and post.

Yes, sonyericsson had put some office app (I don't remember the name now) but on my device it is the trial version. So it is of no good use. Fortunately, I have been able to get my hands on a sweet office app called quick office pro. I tried it and it was extremely usable. The glitches I discussed in the first post of the topic: one of them has been fixed by the app. That is automatic capitalization. Moving the cursor aroud is still difficult but I think as I can do without it (if I am unable to find a better application that can handle this as well).

Plus, I have been able to use the dictionary feature provided by the android. It makes such a huge difference in the final result because even if you miss a keystroke or you do it incorrect, the dictionary would automatically fix it for you and you don't have to worry about it. But I must say that this is the feature of the android OS and not the App, so this can be used with any other App.

I would recommend Google docs for mobiles as it's quite enough, even though some other solution might be better, is there an offline version of google docs?

I would recommend Google docs for mobiles as it's quite enough, even though some other solution might be better,

After reading the post, I decided to give a try to the google docs. I searched it in the play store, but there was nothing there. So I googled it and the news is that google docs is now part of google drive. I installed the google drive app to see how it works. Basically google drive is an all in one solution for editing, storing and accessing files. It gives you a 5Gigs cloud storage to store your files and you have the ability to access the files anywhere anytime.

When you run the application for the first time, you will be taken to the account setup, which is farily simple and quick. After your account is set-up, you will presented with a screen showing all your files and folders on the remote storage.

The actual file editor of the package was good but it was a little sluggish for my taste. Word selection was also not very easy. So overall the package has a decent idea, but I think I would stick to my Office suite pro.