xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Wordpress Vs Your Own Cms

SEO is a way for google measuring the interest of a website from real users point of view.This is particularly useless if you are not concerned by google business, and depends from a lot of nonsense variables.However, when a website page loads slowly, a standard user goes out immediately, no need of spending time waiting. So, when designing a website, we must take that into account.For instance, the text in a website should appear before the nice background image, so that I can start reading the text without waiting for the image, which by itself could be without any interest for me.The same way, google should give search results with fast loading pages first, real persons probably spent more time reading these fast loading pages.

SEO is a way for google measuring the interest of a website from real users point of view.

To add to the above statement, SEO consists of techniques the ultimate goal of which is to raise the position of a website in Search Engine Result Pages. And it isn't exclusive for google In fact it is for all the search engines. For web developers and publishers, SEO means how to get their websites to the top of results for specific searches and for search engines, it means a way of ordering the websites in their database based on certain signals that dictate the quality of a website -- so that higher quality websites are near the top and vice versa...

But the overall thing is not as simple as the above description. There are so many signals and factors that search engines take into account that for developers and publishers it is almost impossible to get all of them right. To make matters worse, most of them are kept secret and never disclosed to the public. Search engines say that they don't disclose all of the signals because they fear that people may abuse them to get higher rankings. This might be a reason but in addition, the competition between different search engines also makes it necessary for them to keep their useful information secret..

My personal opinion of the SEO is that it is a bit too much blurry. An low-sized developer like me doesn't know the straight path to success. And thus it is more of a hit and miss kind of thing.

This is particularly useless if you are not concerned by google business, and depends from a lot of nonsense variables.

I may not totally agree here. Though it does have lot of nonsense variables, but it is not particularly useless if you are not concerned by google business. As I mentioned above, it is not exclusive to google. All search engines come under its radar, though the general scenario is that some search engines put more weight on certain factors. And if you are in someway related to a website the success of which depends on how much visitors you get (almost all websites fall into this category), you need to do well in search engines, because like it or not, most of the useful traffic to most websites come from search engines.

However, when a website page loads slowly, a standard user goes out immediately, no need of spending time waiting. So, when designing a website, we must take that into account.For instance, the text in a website should appear before the nice background image, so that I can start reading the text without waiting for the image, which by itself could be without any interest for me.
The same way, google should give search results with fast loading pages first, real persons probably spent more time reading these fast loading pages.

Absolutely right. But according to my knowledge, page loading speed has now become a direct factor in SEO for google. In the past it was more related to user experience and not so much to how search engines rate you website but recently it has become an important factor for search engines as well..

And I would say again that I am not an expert in the field so I may be wrong..... ^_^

I guess it does make sense to include ratings on page speed for SEO, so would this include server speeds as a factor?

Server speed of course, but mainly clients speed, which you don't master. So, with a fast server, you have to test your page load on slow home pc's.

Server speed of course, but mainly clients speed, which you don't master. So, with a fast server, you have to test your page load on slow home pc's.

I am afraid I will have to differ here. If client is what I think it is (a computer through which any random visitor visits a website), I don't think it would have any effect on SEO of your website. It just isn't logical. I mean if my website is hosted on a good server, plus my website's code is clean enough so that ultimately the page loading speed is good, my website should have a good score for this specific SEO signal. And this should be irrespective of the fact that some users (because of their slow internet connections) aren't able to benefit from the fast page loading speed. This is absolutely related to the user (client) and has nothing to do with my website. Any average user with an average internet connection speed should benefit from the fast server + clean code of my website.

So in simple terms, this is not a website's fault. In fact, loading time would be increased for every website for visitors with slow internet connections.

So in my opinion slow client internet connection doesn't (or SHOULDN'T) affect a website's reputation in terms of SEO.

dial-up testing would be ideal or even testing on mobile devices

If the above explanation is right than dial-testing on client isn't going to help at all.
And from what I know, testing and research related to SEO is a very long time process and not everybody has the time and resources to do it. And this is one of the main reasons why there is so much ambiguity in the field.

I am afraid I will have to differ here. If client is what I think it is (a computer through which any random visitor visits a website), I don't think it would have any effect on SEO of your website. It just isn't logical. I mean if my website is hosted on a good server, plus my website's code is clean enough so that ultimately the page loading speed is good, my website should have a good score for this specific SEO signal. And this should be irrespective of the fact that some users (because of their slow internet connections) aren't able to benefit from the fast page loading speed. This is absolutely related to the user (client) and has nothing to do with my website. Any average user with an average internet connection speed should benefit from the fast server + clean code of my website.
So in simple terms, this is not a website's fault. In fact, loading time would be increased for every website for visitors with slow internet connections.

So in my opinion slow client internet connection doesn't (or SHOULDN'T) affect a website's reputation in terms of SEO.

If the above explanation is right than dial-testing on client isn't going to help at all.
And from what I know, testing and research related to SEO is a very long time process and not everybody has the time and resources to do it. And this is one of the main reasons why there is so much ambiguity in the field.

i think what yordan is saying is that it is just as important to have a good speed server as it is to have a speedy page which should load quick enough on slow connections

i think what yordan is saying is that it is just as important to have a good speed server as it is to have a speedy page which should load quick enough on slow connections

Thanks, it's exactly the way I am thinking that.

Well, if this is the case, then I have to completely agree with @yordan...