xisto Community
mahesh2k

Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

I use Xmarks on firefox for bookmarks management but often i do extract URLS from other documents like word and pdf docs. That way it becomes hard for me to manage bookmarks. I was thinking about desktop based solution for that. I also considered some of the tricks related to delciious mass link uploads but they're not good solution and are rather more uncomfortable. So asked for the URL organizer on superuser and found"linkman". It has both free and paid versions. Free versions with some limitations of course. I think there are some storage and other features missed in the free version compared to the paid version.

Linkman has both firefox and desktop version. Firefox or browser add-ons work similar to the xmarks or any other bookmarking add-on. Other than that they also keep the data indefinite period for free users. So using desktop version of the software makes sense. Desktop version also has free edition with some limitation. You can use it regularly if you have limited use. If you use more than free edition can offer, then better to upgrade the desktop version. That way you can do much more with the software. It also offers search tool so that you can check your old bookmarks in the software db. This feature is common in both free and paid versions.

It offers URL information storage in following format - Name, URL, Keywords, Comments and other information. It stores data in similar fashion to that of delicious. It also lets you catalog the links as per your usage. You get instant search feature in the search option. That way you can type and check the related links. This way you can maintain a lot of links inside your organizer. You also get to manage the collections as per the keyword. These features are added into browser extension as well. But some are only limited to the desktop like instant search one, the last time i checked.

If you keep a log of authority and research based sites. Or you keep track of some of the hot sites in your niche or business then organizer like this will surely help those who need it. For me i am comfortable with free version as of now. If you want to check this URL organizer you can download linkman here.

At least I love the name. "Linkman" sounds as "Walkman", sounds like the thing you always have to take along when you have to walk a little bit far.

thanks for the share, very handy tool :unsure:

That gives me the hint for the portability, yordan. I thought about it but i rarely do some link saving activity on other computers. Oh yes, i do use netcafe from time to time but it is quite rare compared to the usage on my mobile. So most likely my usage is on my laptop or the computer. I have tried to find out ways for the portability.There are few ways to get around it. For example, using the portable browser with linkman extension. Take case of firefox or chrome or opera and then install the add-on on these browsers and move anywhere you want with the USB drive. This is one of the easiest ways i can think of. Then there is another alternative of using the linkman in portable mode is to simply copy and paste the folder content to the USB drive. As the data in file is dependent on the sql db or their flat file, i don't think they're setting or registry dependent anymore. I guess their Lite version can be made portable this way. Not sure about the professional or paid version. But i think either this method or simply using the paid portable version can do the portability job. I would like to see if any other portable alternative is there if outreach doesn't allow us to use portable version for the free software. Anyway, they have this handy tool so portable will be sure hit for them.

That gives me the hint for the portability, yordan. I thought about it but i rarely do some link saving activity on other computers. Oh yes, i do use netcafe from time to time but it is quite rare compared to the usage on my mobile. So most likely my usage is on my laptop or the computer. I have tried to find out ways for the portability.There are few ways to get around it. For example, using the portable browser with linkman extension. Take case of firefox or chrome or opera and then install the add-on on these browsers and move anywhere you want with the USB drive. This is one of the easiest ways i can think of.
Then there is another alternative of using the linkman in portable mode is to simply copy and paste the folder content to the USB drive. As the data in file is dependent on the sql db or their flat file, i don't think they're setting or registry dependent anymore. I guess their Lite version can be made portable this way. Not sure about the professional or paid version. But i think either this method or simply using the paid portable version can do the portability job. I would like to see if any other portable alternative is there if outreach doesn't allow us to use portable version for the free software. Anyway, they have this handy tool so portable will be sure hit for them.

wouldn't it be much effecient to leave portable bookmark managements in the cloud/online? that way accessing them requires only a login?

although the having on USB is a more tangible/secure alternative
Edited by manuleka (see edit history)