xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

Developer's Tips And Tricks Source Code Snippet Storage

I found snipplr while i was looking for piece of code for some task. I think that site has big storage of codes online. They're growing rapidly too. They have some tools that fetches data from desktop to their online storage. But i was looking for a software that lets me store the code without having to connect to the internet. I found that there are many such softwares but one or the other way they need access to the internet. Then there are some commercial softwares like "snipp-it" professional version which are paid and does the job. I'm not into payment mode for now so there is no way i'm going to use the software which is commercial. So started searching for the free alternative. Then i found this DTT or "developer's tips and tricks" software that stores the code offline on storage.

DTT is donationware software that produces two versions of software. One is supporters edition and freeware. Freeware has most of the free features and some of the features are reserved for the supporters edition. You're not going to lose much if you stick with the free version of their software. In fact for the most of the simple use you can have the freeware version. This will get your most of the work done, just fine. Only thing you have to do is switch to supporters version if you need more features and if you want to support the developers for the work they have done on the software. I think it's fair if you're using their software regularly and want to continue using it and wish to support developer.

Software is very easy to use and store your code snippet. In left side bar you have folders sorted as per programming language name. There are some sample code in it as well. You just have to check the folder and add new file to it. YOu'll be able to follow the syntax highlighter as per the languages. Other than code you can also store flowcharts as images. You can get the flowcharts done in other softwares like VUE, visio and xmind, i discussed them before in another thread. So overall freeware version has everything you need for sorting the codes as per your needs.

You can download the develoeprs tips and tricks software from freesoftware land.

Snipplr has a lot of information related to the wordpress if you're interested. Some of the old and new snippets are there. You'll find that sections like HTML, CSS and Wordpress are more active over there than any other language. I didn;t find much on ironpython and the ruby on rails codes over there. I mean the one i wanted to see. I guess people are not sharing that stuff much. But that site is really good place to share and store the code snippet. That way you'll get some serious stuff done quickly.

I have also checked the new software called snippely which is adobe AIR based software. So those who hate flash or AIR are going to hate that again. It has very simple interface. The program has sidebar where you make groups and on right hand side add new code or just drop it in the text area. It may look ugly on some parts but it is useful. For those who save some serious stuff for daily usage. Something like CSS layouts for the design or the regular email text template. I think most of us can use this for normal usage. Check the snippely here.