xisto Community
manuleka

Fat Partitions Un-writable [solved]

i added two FAT partitions onto my fstab to start up automatically... running Linux Mint 11... now the two partitions are running fine it's just that i don't have permission to write/alter anything on the two drives

i'm not quite familiar with Linux permissions

here's a ls -l output of the two partitions/drives

manu@manu-U-100 ~/Others $ ls -ldrwxr-xr-x 5 root root 32768 1970-01-01 12:00 Dat1drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 32768 1970-01-01 12:00 Dat2

thanks for the prompt response yordan ;)

here's the mount output

/dev/sda7 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)/dev/sda5 on /home/manu/Others/Dat1 type vfat (rw)/dev/sda6 on /home/manu/Others/Dat2 type vfat (rw)binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/manu/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=manu)

OK, next, try the following :

chmod -R ugo+rwx /home/manu/Others/
and tell us if it changes something.

nothing yordan, just a correction though... the drives are writable only by root

i'm clueless adding write permissions to user

thanks

the drives are writable only by rooti'm clueless adding write permissions to user

Precisely : ;)
If you do exactly what I am saying, the drives will be writable by everybody :
Simply, as root, type the following :
This is just for testing purposes, do this and tell us if the disks become writeable by everybody.
If it works, we will do a more clever setting.
Regards
Yordan

Precisely : ;) If you do exactly what I am saying, the drives will be writable by everybody :
Simply, as root, type the following :

doesn't fix the user writable issue

maybe this will help, though i don't understand what is and how to umask,dmask etc.. :lol: :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab
...ntfs/vfat = permissions are set at the time of mounting the partition with umask, dmask, and fmask and can not be changed with commands such as chown or chmod. I advise dmask=027,fmask=137 (if you user umask=000 all your files will be executable). More permissive options would be dmask=000,fmask=111....

OK, To be honest, I forgot this feature, seems that my chmod trick does not work on Ubuntu on a mounted filesystem.
Now, let's proceed the following way.
Just make a backup of your fstab file, and then try what the link you mention suggests :

/dev/sdb1 /media/data2 vfat defaults,user,dmask=027,fmask=137 0 0

In your case it would be : /dev/sda5 /home/manu/Others/Dat1 vfat defaults,user,dmask=000,fmask=111 0 0
After modifying /etc/fsab, just type "umount /home/manu/Others/Dat1; mount /home/manu/Others/Dat1" in order to test the new set of permissions.
If this works correctly, go back to the less permissive set dmask=027,fmask=137

Regards
Yordan

solved:

needed to add uid and gid

/dev/sda5 /home/manu/Others/Dat1 vfat auto,users,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0/dev/sda6 /home/manu/Others/Dat2 vfat auto,users,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

or
/dev/sda5 /home/manu/Others/Dat1 vfat rw,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0/dev/sda6 /home/manu/Others/Dat2 vfat rw,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

Edited by manuleka (see edit history)