xisto Community
sanilmathews

To Rename Files

Hi,I am trying to write a VBA code to rename word document by referring the values in the column of an excel sheet For examble aaa, bbb, ccc, ddd in cell A1, cell A2, cell A3, cell A4 etc..... The files to be renamed and the excel file will be in the same folder The information in the excel sheet varies as there are instances where I will have more names in column A.How much ever names are there in column A they should be referred to rename the files in the folderI would really appreciate if some one would give me a better solution to my problem ASAP!!

On which operating system does this thing have to work ? Il it on a local windows PC ?And is the excel format a must? Or can it be comma-separated records in a "csv" file ?

Does it have to be in VBA ?
I once worked with a tool called Pentaho Kettle/Spoon. It's an open source ETL tool which let you build a complete chain of actions using blocks (it's like programming, but with blocks).
Now, don't be mistaken, it sounds easy, but there are some tricks you have to know in order to get it working (eg, if you want to group data, you have to apply a sort on the columns you'll use for sorting).

I'm sure it can read excel files, I'm 65% sure you can rename files with it, so it sounds like a good solution to your problem. However, I don't realy see the use of renaming word files based on an Excel sheet rather than giving it a name based on the file its content.

//edit: btw, Pentaho is writen in Java so it'll run on most operating systems ;)

Edited by wutske (see edit history)