xisto Community
8ennett

Check Your Hosted Websites And Cpanel [solved]

For the past few weeks my hosted accounts have been acting strangely, sometimes the web returned an error and was considered an incorrect address, or sometimes the database was missing and no connection could be made. I put it down to server maintenance which it turned out to be. My new server is now ALPHA instead of GAMMA and they have just finished upgrading it.One of my sites is working fine now, however my main site when loaded displays a message saying my account is suspended and my login to cPanel won't work either. I've filed a support ticket but I'm just letting everyone knos so they can double check their accounts. It appears as normal in the billing support area and is displayed as active, i'm just hoping they haven't lost all my data. It's not a tradgedy as I keep backups and the backup is more recent than the live site anyway, but still when the site is launched it has gotten me thinking that purchasing daily site backups might be a good idea.

Edited by yordan
added "solved" (see edit history)

I just logged in to my CPanel account and I see that I am hosted on gamma and it seems that nothing really changed, I didn't have any problems with downtime, at least, the sites which looks up activity didn't send any failure emails.Interesting, is why you have been moved to alpha server? :)

My new server is now ALPHA instead of GAMMA and they have just finished upgrading it.

And what is that ALPHA and GAMMA anyway? Is Alpha a default server when hosted for the first time?

Sorry for not making a separate post. I just want to ask here since it's part of 8ennett's topic.

You don't really have to worry about that, but.. The physical server names are alpha, gamma, mu, etc...
You can see it in the first page of your cpanel, "Server name".
For instance, if you are hosted on gamma, at any moment you can have a look at the Server Status page on the Xisto main portal https://support.xisto.com/serverstatus.php
and check that everything is OK on your server, et check the uptime for your server.

Servers are usually allocated depending on how much free space etc a server has, and with the recent upgrades to the alpha server I'm guessing they will be creating new hosting accounts on that one for the time being.There is no real distinction between first time hosted account and long time hosted account. As long as you pay for the hosting then it is all the same.It turns out the account was suspended for a different reason than I thought, my site was causing the Gamma server to slow down as it had a lot of drag on it, but they can't tell me what was causing it until it happens again. I'm guessing it is the live horse racing script I wrote, displaying the current race uses ajax and that can be quite taxing on a server. So they have moved me to alpha and wanted to inform me of what had happened before reactivating my account. Looks like I can't get in to fix the problem though until it happens again.I appreciate how hard the support staff work as well and understand how busy they can get. They are always apologising for the delay in response as well even if they reply within 30 mins of my posting the support ticket lol

Ok and thanks for the answers.So if for example, I want to be hosted on gamma rather than alpha, do Xisto let me choose which server I want to use on my hostingor Xisto will just choose it for me?

Xisto will choose for you, although it makes no difference really. If there are more hosted accounts on Gamma than Alpha then you will probably end up on Alpha, and vice versa. You will still receive the full amount of space and bandwidth allocation depending on your hosting type.