xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Why Is Google Number One

google has been very good at this for some time now... alot of their free services are awesome! i think one of their greatest attraction other their search tool is Gmail... i remember when they started of, it was 1 or 2GB which was more than enough at the time for an email account, surpassing alot of the paid ones, now they got youtube, android, etc... it's just amazing how much return they get from providing a tremendous amount of free services/softwaresgo Google

Lately, I was reading an article in which the three giants, Microsoft, Apple and Google were compared with each other. There were some interesting facts stated on that article. One of them that elaborates the brilliance of Google was that Google is the youngest of the three giants. It means that Google has earned a reputation in about 10 years, for which the other took about the double. The author presented a beautiful distinction between the three companies. According to him, the three might look similar but their foundations are entirely different from one another. Apple is more of a hardware manufacturer that tightly controls the software to be used on their hardware. Microsoft on the other hand is more of a software manufacturer that doesn't care about the hardware as far as the users run software manufactured by them. Different from both apple and microsoft, Google is an advertising company, which gets most of its revenue through search advertisement. To increase their advertisement revenues, they develop lot of different software and hardware but the primary goal is not to become number one software manufacturer or number one hardware manufacturer, it is to increase the advertisement revenues.Each of these has some products that Glorify their name. For example Apple has iphone and ipads. Microsoft has windows and Google has their wonderful search engine.

i'm amazed by how apple have survived and became so popular and set the bar for alot of gadgets now adays... especially with their iphones and ipads series... before that, they were struggling as Microsoft dominates the PC industry...now apple dominates the mobile devices arena - well seems to be, and google has been thriving on the kingship of search indexing and online advertisingwithout these three, the world would've been quite different

without these three, the world would've been quite different

Well that what we call exaggeration. I don't agree with this bit, though the remaining post was good. I would like to prove my point by illustrating the example of Google.Lot of people think that Google made the internet a better place. I don't have similar feelings for Google. In my opinion, it was internet that made Google what it is today. If there had been no google, someone else (most probably bing) would have been the prime search engine. And any company generating as much revenues as Google can develop very very quickly. So in my opinion, the world would have been the same but instead of Google, someone else would be knows as The Internet Giant.
If you compare the two most popular search engines (Google and Bing), you won't find much difference between their results. Both perform nearly the same. Google is used more by the users because it has a reputation behind it. What made Google a giant are the steps taken correctly at correct time. The major development made in search industry by Google was the introduction of an algorithm that gives more weight to off page factors than on page factors. In this way they were able to manipulate websites in a more accurate way, which cannot be easily tricked. The end result was great user experience that was much ahead of its competitors. The reputation made at that time brought huge revenues to the company and consequently it expanded tremendously. Like a vicious circle, more development brought even greater amount of revenues, which were invested properly and now Google is a big giant that is very difficult to defeat.
On the other hand, competitors of Google like yahoo and microsoft search, which weren't smart enough to introduce a good algorithm lost their share of search market continuously. Yahoo, which was almost entirely based on its search marketing had to shrink only to US. Eventually it was taken by microsoft. Microsoft, in contrast to yahoo, was not dependent on search marketing for its revenues. The major part of them came from their software. Microsoft invested the revenues generated through other sources into the search market and the end product we see is Bing. Though bing is very smart, may be even smarter than google, it doesn't receive much share of the search market because of Google's reputation and a countless list of promotional products. Though the search market share for bing is increasing regularly (a worry for google), it may take many years for bing to surpass Google.
Had it been the scenario where Yahoo created the algorithm, which was actually created by Google, the Giant of search market today would have been yahoo. If Google wouldn't create the algo then, someone else would have done it, may one or two years later.
So the bottom line is that because Google is smart and it has a huge reputation behind its name, it doesn't mean that the internet would be a less beneficial place without it.

Well that what we call exaggeration. I don't agree with this bit, though the remaining post was good. I would like to prove my point by illustrating the example of Google.Lot of people think that Google made the internet a better place.

i didn't say better... i said it would be different, if google + microsoft + apple didn't exist... it would've been IBM and/or some other Giants running the show... but it would be different

In my opinion google is the best search engine because they understood the use the people give to the internet. Most of the people is in the internet looking for information and entertaiment so they thougth about this and in an intelligent way they created the search engine because they understood that the people looking for information will be needed of a tool to search that information. So google is the best site in the world. Why? Because is the only site that have almost an universal acceptation around the world. When I am looking for information I wanted to use Bing and Yahoo but they are so bored and complicated that I can´t avoid to use the google search engine and get the best results to my queries. We have to be prepared to be with Google a long time. I have read some articles about the search engines industry. Actually it´s very difficult to a new company grow like Google because Google is like a shark that is eating to all the competition.Recent stats shows that Google controls more than 85% of the industry. Yahoo has lost almost the half of the business in the last few years so in some years maybe yahoo will be only with its portal and the search engine will dissapear. Bing is with the same piece of the cake since a lot of years and it´s slowly losing its influence.I am again the monopolist companies but in the case of Google the monopoly is not illegal because the people prefers google and the others companies simply can´t competite with the people because it´s the people who decided which is best and which isn´t.I don´t think that Google has changed the world. I think that if Google close its operation today there will be more options and maybe that can be the opportunitie for Yahoo and bing.