xisto Community
teachinglicensetrainer

How To Upload/store Large Documents On Line Kind Help in Uploading/Storing Large Documents On Line

Try DriveHQ. Here's a quoted texts from their website, about what they offer:

DriveHQ Online File Storage & Sharing Online File Storage & Sharing
Works like a remote File Server and My Computer / Windows Explorer. Store, access, share and sync files online from anywhere at anytime. Includes explorer-like web interface and the state-of-the-art FileManager 4.5. Supports any browsers on PC / Mac. Supports group / sub-group file sharing with read-write access; supports Mac with drag & drop FTP client software.

DriveHQ Online File & Email Backup Online Backup Files & Emails
Includes DriveHQ Online Backup 4.5 automatic backup software, optimized for business and enterprise backup. Backup is never so easy, secure and reliable! No device needed, backup any number of PCs with no additional charge, save lots of money! Offsite backup is more secure than local backup. Mac Online Backup is also supported!

DriveHQ FTP Server Hosting & Software FTP Server Hosting & Software
Includes FTP Client, Server & Hosting. You cannot find any other FTP hosting service that has as many features as ours, and for a price as low as FTP client software! Works on PC / Mac / Linux; supports any number of users, groups & sub-groups. Get rid of your own FTP server and save cost now!

SMTP/POP3 Email Server HostingIncludes email server software, hardware & hosting. Designed for business use only, works on PC & Mac. Supports: multiple accounts, private domain, SMTP/POP3, Outlook, alias, auto-reply, auto-forward, mailing list, private discussion group, etc. Spam or other service abuse is monitored and prohibited.

Hope this will help you. If you don't like DriveHQ which i am using it, you can always try some other free hosting websites like Rapidshare, Hotfile, Depositfiles... that's the website's i was using but now i use just DriveHQ because it's more compact for me. :D Good luck with the uploading. :)

Since you already have a gmail address, it's probably the easiest to use Google Docs to upload your documents.Currently, you can upload any file up to 250Mb to Google Docs (and share them with other people if you want)

I’m not sure how long you plan on storing your documents but it sounds like an online backup solution may work. This only works if you are the only one needing access to the documents but may be more economical in the long run. In general it is wise to backup all of your important files to an offsite location.Carbonite (https://www.carbonite.com/) – Unlimited online backup for about $70 USD a year. I personally use this service and I am happy with it. The transfer rates are mind numbingly slow but once you get past your initial backup, things go fairly quick. This is not for frequent movement of files but you can access your files from a web interface from anywhere if needed. It does a good job for the cost and considering I have 200+ Gb backed up, $70 a year is a steal. If you do decide to go with Carbonite, message me so you can add me as a referral and I get one month free next year :)Jungle Disk/Amazon S3 (https://www.jungledisk.com/)/(https://aws.amazon.com/s3/) – Use the Amazon service to store your files in the cloud based on the amount you transfer and the amount of data stored. Jungle disk is a third party application that uses Amazon S3 as the storage medium. I originally tried this as my online backup solution but the storage costs got too pricy for my particular situation (several hundred Gb). I know of people who swear by it but they transfer and store fairly small amounts of data. The person that I am thinking of pays around $0.14 per month for under 100 Mb of data.Mozy (Mozy.com) – Similar to Carbonite but charges $4.95 per month. I have had no experience with Mozy but haven’t heard anything really good or bad either. Something to check out.

No, mate... There is no need to pay $70 for a year for uploading to some file hosting website where you can do it for free and even better! You can upload on DeposidFiles, maximum file size 2GB! So don't throw money on something that's free and spend them on something more clever. :)

Rapidshare is another good place to upload your files. You can upload files up to 2gb big and download them again, and each time you download them again you earn a point which you can trade in for premium accounts, t-shirts, cool gizmos and electronics etc. Also could you not make a forum post and then send me a message with the exact same content in it please.

Your questions has also an "in this site" part.And the real point is which size your files really have, and how you want to retrieve them.However, if you are hosted here, as long as your files are legal ones (I mean no copyrighted music or video files for instance) you can imagine storing them on your website. However, constantly uploading and downloading your files will rather soon exhaust your website bandwidth. And if your files are really big, you can also exhaust the disk storage limit of your hosting account.As 8ennett says, for files you often upload and download, file-sharing sites like rapidshare are really right in that spot.

Using public sites like DepositFiles and RapidShare also means anyone can, and most likely will download them. Depending on how sensitive the material is this may be an option. Encrypting the files may solve the problem but even using a strong encryption mechanism still leaves the files open to brute force attack.I personally use these sites myself but I would never put critical or sensitive information on them even under high encryption.

Another method you can use is setting up an ftp server on your own computer and apply the proper port forwarding on your router (if you have one) and possibly setting up a static url at a dns site. This way you don't have to upload the files anywhere, just log in to the server from any other location and download the files.

I guess I am just Mr. doom and gloom on this thread, but I do care about Xisto users so I will continue with my march of caution. I also haven’t seen anything else from the original poster so maybe his problem was solved.Running a FTP or even your own web server is a valid way to share files, especially for short periods and if you have sufficient upload capacity and technical skills. My biggest problem with running a FTP server is my upload speed. Even though my ISP advertises a 1M/bit upstream connection, FTP always flat lines at 110 k/bits. This is more than enough for small files but if you are talking about a 500+ Mb file, you better pack a lunch because it will take many many hours to upload. Keep in mind that Internet speed is dependant to two major factors, your download speed and the server upload speed. Commercial web servers and the like usually have an inverse connection compared to a residential service. This means they have large upload bandwidth and almost no download bandwidth. With a FTP server you are now the provider and the overall performance will be limited by your upload bandwidth.A web server is another option but I wouldn’t recommend it unless it is in a separate DMZ on your network and you keep it diligently updated and locked down. I can’t say that web servers are the number one security risk but they are certainly in the top five. Attackers routinely scan random IP space for open ports (if you don’t believe me, run Wireshark directly behind your modem with no filtering) and the first port they look for is 80 (web server) closely followed by 21 and 20 (FTP), and 23 (telnet). If they find an open port they get to work with automated tools that WILL find any security holes. If you are on a properly secured DMZ, a compromised web server should not affect the rest of your network but expect to get all kinds of nasty things on your server, including added web pages that serve malware. A web server running on your personal machine should be avoided because the web server is the first step in breaking into your machine.If you run either a FTP or web server, try to run it only when needed and never let it run for long periods unattended. When running my FTP server I require a username and password over a SSL connection and I never run it unless I am physically at the machine. I have my router set to forward the FTP traffic (which I have changed from the default 21 to a random high number port) to only my machine and block all other machines on my network from accepting FTP traffic.You can download a high quality FTP client from Filezilla (https://filezilla-project.org/) and also a FTP server from Filezilla. In my opinion there is no other client other than Filezilla. I have had limited experience with the server. I used it shortly right after it came out (just out of beta) and had some problems and went back to my current solution. I am sure they have made improvements and I will try it myself again when needed. The best part is it is free which many other server programs will set you back a few hundred dollars.

Using public sites like DepositFiles

Just had a look at DepositFites.It's ... wow! 2 gig max! Other sites, like Rapidshare, usually limit to 100 megs or less, 2 gigs is really nice. You can upload half a DVD there !Or all your pictures and personal files last year, a nice online backup!

I think google docs is the best option for you because the most important thing in storing documents online is their security and anyone can trust google's security standards