xisto Community
aloKNsh

Transferring Electricity Via Air. Wireless transferring of electricity, WILL it ever happen.

And the consumer is concerned about possible side affects :S

In a pure economic model, the consumer is mostly concerned with price or to the wiser consumer, value, which is a price to quality ratio. Unless there are considerable (or perceived considerable) side effects, the consumer will not care. Marketing does play a role in consumer habits but the by far greatest driving factor is price.

I will also point out that there is already considerable EM radiation flowing through all of us right now besides the natural magnetic field. That 1,000,000 watt radio station down the street that can be heard for 300 miles pumps out a considerable amount of radiation that you are never aware of. Of course we also have cell phones, weather radar, and any type of radio that makes our environment a complete soup of EM radiation.

I have never been a conspiracy theorist when it comes to EM radiation and a humanâs health (think cell phones and brain cancer). But I also donât think we have all the answers yet. There are reasons that you shouldnât stand in front of a high powered microwave array.

As a side note, I used to work with an old navy seamen and he once told me this story. He was on a naval ship in the Atlantic running military exercises, which at the time was during the Cold War with Russia. As was the custom, a Russian naval vassal was also in the area just to make sure the sneaky Americans werenât up to something. This went on for a few days until the order was given to point the shipâs radar at the Russian ship to run it off. Apparently this didnât go over too well with the Russians and they did the exact same thing to the American ship (run a full strength radar beam at the American ship). When the radar hit the ship, and my co-worker, everyone got sick and started puking all over the place. It turns out that standing near a large EM emitter will cause quite violent side-effects. He said that he never wants to go through that again.

EM radiation should be fine at reasonable levels (I suppose reasonable could be a loaded word) but it certainly can have side effects.

As a side note, I used to work with an old navy seamen and he once told me this story. He was on a naval ship in the Atlantic running military exercises, which at the time was during the Cold War with Russia. As was the custom, a Russian naval vassal was also in the area just to make sure the sneaky Americans weren’t up to something. This went on for a few days until the order was given to point the ship’s radar at the Russian ship to run it off. Apparently this didn’t go over too well with the Russians and they did the exact same thing to the American ship (run a full strength radar beam at the American ship). When the radar hit the ship, and my co-worker, everyone got sick and started puking all over the place. It turns out that standing near a large EM emitter will cause quite violent side-effects. He said that he never wants to go through that again.

That's actually an interesting story :) I think we should start a storytelling topic. Would you care to start it? I wouldn't have anything interesting to share :D

It would be possible to transfer electricity through the air once we develop the means and technology to converse energy through transmission. At the moment, all types of electromagnetic waves we produce e.g. radio waves, microwaves etc. dissipate over long distances and lose its energy. However, transferring electricity through air at a low range (less than a metre) has been achieved through magnetic induction, which has been used widely in rechargeable electric toothbrushes, transformers and induction cooktops. The only problem with magnetic induction is that it works at a short range, with the energy transferred decreasing rapidly as the distance of induction increases. Plus, magnetic induction is not very energy efficient unless a ferromagnetic core is used, but that would be impractical at ranged inductions. Maybe rather than looking at ways to transfer electricity over air, we should be looking at building batteries that can be charged rapidly e.g. 10 minutes, and then power electronic devices for a long time period of time e.g. a day.