xisto Community
H.O.D

Is Windows 7 All That Good?

If you're on Windows XP, you have to get off XP and go Vista/7.

I think if this is the case then one should upgrade to win 7 instead of vista. That because any person using xp or vista is going to upgrade/fresh-install to win 7 anyway. Besides vista is too buggy and low on performance. Many softwares crash on vista. Problems with vista are more and we can just keep on listing them. I think win 7 is better choice but it's best to fresh install OS than upgrading it.

I'm using Vista for quite a while now and got used to it, it's now a bit hard to use XP somewhere else and I'm looking forward to installing Windows 7, I got Windows 7 Professional as a student from the MSDN something program in microsoft dot comBut as I said in other topics, I'll only install it after December 12, when all my exams will be finished, due to I'm to lazy to reinstall a lot of programs for university.To add about Windows 7, I've read here that somebody wants to use the classic Windows theme rather than Aero. In fact, as I know Aero works faster than the usually classic theme or classic theme with some style, due to Aero is using something from your graphics card which most of new computers has, so I just can say that use the Aero style and don't turn off "Show windows contents while dragging".Even though I saw a lot of sites which says: "Turn off Windows Aero" I just think that somebody wrote that because he thought so and most of other people just copied this by writing it to his blog.

To activate Windows Classic theme in Win 7, you have to right click on desktop and select personalize (That's similar to select properties by right clicking on desktop in XP). Then a new window opens where you'll be shown a number of themes like Win 7 basic, classic etc. Select classic and you are done.

If price is the deciding factor let me offer a different way of getting Windows 7 along with all the extras. This is certainly not the cheapest way but it works great for me.

Microsoft offers a service called Microsoft Developer Network or MSDN (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx) which allows developers to purchase Microsoft products for a flat rate. With the top level subscription, you get every Microsoft OS ever made (Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, and even 3.11 and DOS) along with all versions of Office, Visual Studio, all the servers, and anything else you can think of. Every month you get a package of DVDs with all the software and any patches. You also get paid Microsoft support. You can install each product around 10 times per year as long as it is for development purposes.

The MSDN subscription has several levels but most of them will set you back between $700 and $10,000. One level below MSDN is TechNet (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx). TechNet is MSDN for technical support types and is thus more geared toward corporate installation and deployment. TechNet is split into two parts, one with monthly media (DVDs) delivery and one that is download only. The more expensive option is $599 but the download option is $349. TechNet offers most of the software that MSDN does except the software development tools. You can take a look at the offering at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ even if you donĂ¢t have a subscription.

If you think about it, $349 for 10 keys of Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2007 is well worth the money. A single copy of both of these will easily set you back $1000 ($320 for Windows 7 Ultimate and $680 for Office Ultimate 2007 according to the Microsoft store). Additionally, Microsoft always has a coupon code for TechNet which is usually 25% off. I used my own code but I saw the exact same code at http://www.retailmenot.ca/coupons/microsoftstore.ca?redirectType=auto. After the coupon and tax, I paid around $270 for all the Microsoft goodness that I can stand.

If you want to go legitimate I firmly believe that TechNet is the way to go. I have been a subscriber for two years now and highly recommend it. Not everyone will be able to spend this kind of money but if you can it will save you in the long run.

I have Microsoft Developer Network or MSDN account and everything is free there for me, I got it in University, but for me it doesn't offer the normal Microsoft Office Suite with Excel and Word, doesn't offer any version at all, so I guess it depends on the account type, but it's really a great thing though. ;]Saves a lot of money. :D