xisto Community
Soviet Rathe

Coby Mp705 Mp3 Player Review on the MP705

Ok about two weeks ago I bought a Coby MP705 4 GIG Mp3 player for $59
Heres my review.

Posted ImageAt $30-$60 this is a really good MP3 player. at a first glance this looks like a really expensive piece of electronics but upon use is when you see why it's cheaply priced. wait! don't get me wrong this is still good for the price but it's no $200 Ipod.
the front is glossy and the back seems to be made of stainless steel! and it's very slim and compact.
the sound is pretty standard. there's several EQ setting but no user-definable EQ with adjustable bands which I was really hoping this would have. but it doesn't... if you listen to hard music like I do then most of the pre-set EQ setting distort sound which really disappointed me. trying to listen to Death Core is awful on the "Bass" setting. in fact the only setting where it sounds really good at is the "POP" setting.
The overall volume of the player is a little better then most MP3 players where you would have to turn them up high to be able to hear them in a car or in a loud room. but as I said. Don't expect an Ipod. but I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Supported audio formats are MP3, WMA, Protected WMA, and OGG

It did come with a pair on ear buds and a what looks like a velvet protective skin and I must admit. the ear buds are alot better then standard. they actually sound pretty good but I ended up giving them to my friend and just using my $20 pair of earphones which were alot better.

I really like the touch pad. it won't work unless you touch it with your skin which is both good and bad because you can brush up against it with your arm or hand and it can pause/skip songs :P I think they should have made it a little more pressure sensitive to prevent that..
the buttons aren't visible until you touch them which is what that silver ring is for. looking at it would make you think it was a click wheel but it's no more but a guide to show where the buttons are and to look stylish.
Based on which menu you are in the buttons have different uses. if you are listening to music then the left and right ones are to skip and the top and bottom ones are the volume. the one under the left side of the screen is the menu and the one under the right side is the options button. you must hold it for a few seconds and a menu will pop up with options like EQ, repeat etc... now on the other hand if you are watching video the buttons have the same use but you must turn the player on it's side.

The menu looks really cool when scrolling through and has several options. Music, Pictures, Movies, Radio (yes it has radio!!) E-Books, File Explorer, and Setup
I don't really like or use the radio mainly because I can never get a signal but the radio has 40 presets and you have the ability to adjust the scanner sensitivity and every time you set a preset you get a religious message "Have been saved!" lol.. The E-Books are NOT for audiobooks. is it for .txt files where you can actually read them. weird but cool huh?

Getting videos to work wasn't easy. the only supported video codec is (MPEG-4/Xvid) but at last. I finally got all my music videos on there... but the manual claims it will play videos at 30FPS but when using the only supported codec.. I could only get the FPS up to about 25, although the only software I used was AVS video converter and that's because the provided software didn't work lol. another draw back about the video is you can only have the video res the same as the screen size which is 220x176. now on other players with the same screen size you can have it up to 320x240 which makes a big difference.

I havn't tried the pictures bit yet but the sample pictures that it came with looked good on the screen
but while your listening to music. if you will look at the picture above. where the picture of a CD is if your file has album art it will be displayed there which is cool.

Getting my computer was a real challenge, I had to keep disconnecting it and re connecting it before I finally got it installed. and if I don't plug it in my computer for a while my computer forgets it's installed and I have to go throught the process all over again. but you don't have to use the files manager to transfer files if you don't want to you can just drag and drop into the appropriate folder.

Coby rates the battery life for the MP705 at 24 hours for audio and 8 hours for video. but after using it I would say that music lasts 8 hrs and video lasts 4 hrs

Overall I rate this 4/5
it's really good and I use it all the time

Thanks for reading!!! :D Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

How do you add text documents to the Coby Mp705 Mp3 Player?Coby Mp705 Mp3 Player

I thins it's a great Mp3 player!5/5 for sure! But I'm just having one problem with it... I can't seem to put any text documents on it...

-reply by Yasmin

I thought Coby was a cheap brand. I don't know, you can usually find these types at gas stations or curios of truck stops along the interstate. What do you think? Well it may be true the company is using modern technology but I'm not so sure about quality of music output and maybe headphones. I'd try it but my preference for portables are like this:Performance (speed, responsiveness, on/off boot time, may music/video codecs)Upgradeable (software enhancementsBattery life (must be at least +25 hrs for music or +10hours for video)Size (at least 8 or 16 GB)Music (good music quality, EQ, ability to reproduce bass and highs, and have a high SNR)Headphones (really doesn't matter, might use something else; 3rd party)Physical (scratch resistant glass, can take a little moisture, Sealed, does not have condensation problems, preferably metal or hard plastic.Screen (bigger is better when it comes to videos, and OLED please)So maybe a new Zune HD, or Sony's OLED portables, no iPods please (software really bogs down the PCs and I'm not into protected content.Yup that's me,levimage ;)

How do you add text documents to the Coby Mp705 Mp3 Player?

Coby Mp705 Mp3 Player

<p>I thins it's a great Mp3 player!5/5 for sure! But I'm just having one problem with it... I can't seem to put any text documents on it...</p>

-reply by Yasmin

I'ts supposed to accept normal .txt files, are there any special characters or any special formatting? this may cause an error.