xisto Community
grim reaper1666

Router Problems needs restarting everyday

A standard router almost never reboots. Mine reboots once a year. Your problem is an indication that something is really bad in your home network install. If not, your Internet provider should fix that.

And why do you have to restart ? If you can access the router through a browser, this means that your ethernet connection works fine from your PC to the router. So, where is the problem ? Is your router not routing any more ?

sometimes the router page works and no other internet connection

To clarify for you the router page is not on the internet, it is accessed via your local network. If you are unable to connect to the internet but are able to connect to the router then it seems you have an IP so the issue may be between the router and the connection be it the modem or or the modems connection.

If the router is wireless make sure that the network is secured as others using your network that are not supposed to could result in connection issues.

Have you tried completely resetting it to it's factory defaults ? Maybe there's a problem with the settings.

You could also try updating the firmware or even installing a complete new one (like http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato ).

Can you do a test for me ?
If the internet stops working, could ping the following adresses ?
208.67.222.222 (opendns)
208.67.220.220 (opendns)
74.125.67.100 (google.com)
69.147.114.224 (yahoo.com)

If you get a ping reply to any of these adresses, then there is a problem with the dns (domain name service) and not with your router.

may i ask what is a ping reply?if there is a problem with the domain name service does that mean that i have to get it fixed some how?But if it involves changing my ISP that is something which i can not do becasue we only have on Internet Service Provider in Kingston Upon Hull whcih is karoo and if it involves changing package that is no aswell because that means that we would go onto a package with a download limit (in Hull all of the packages now have a download limit) and we download 40 gigabytes a month i think the maximum download limit you get is 10 gigabytes which means that we will end up paying extra a month for 30 gigabytes at £1 per giabyte so that would be an extra thirty gigabytes so £30 onto the bill so that would be a no.

may i ask what is a ping reply?

You have a problem, and we don't know if it's a physical problem or an organisationnal problem.

We must first look if you are experiencing a physical problem. This means, we need to know if the cables between you and, let's say, google.com, are all fully operational.

To do that, we ask to to send a "ping" on the line. You send a "ping" to a precise computer (known by the address 74.125.67.100). This computer, when receiving this "ping" signal, sends a "pong" received by your computer.

This is an international test, allowing any computer to test if any other one is present on the network.

Wutske asked you to issue the command line "ping 74.125.67.100" and tell us what is the result.

If the result is "answer received, three packets sent, three packets received, no packets lost", this means that the physical layer is OK, the systems are reachable on the ethernet network.

If the physical layer is correct, let's have a look at the logical layer. If "ping 74.125.67.100" works, and "ping https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl; does not work, this means that the name-to-address translation is not working.

The name-to-address translation has to be done by the Domain Name Server (usually known as the DNS). If the DNS does not work properly, your computer cannot surf to http://forums.xisto.com/ because your computer is unable to know the IP address of http://forums.xisto.com/

If "ping https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl; shows an IP address and no packet received, this means that your DNS is working correctly, but the packets are not routed correctly. This means that the main gateway is not working.

In that case, you don't have to change your ISP, you have to tell your ISP "sorry, but the gateway does not route my packets, can you please fix that?"

This is a long way for explaining this, sorry, but, I hope that, now, you know why we ask you "can you please perform a ping test?"

Regards

Yordan

did that now you told me how to do it i thought that you just had to put it in your web brower but nobodies perfect.here is what i got back from command prompt.pinging 74.125.67.100 with 32 bytes of data:reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=53reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=131ms TTL=53reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=53reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=53ping statistics for 74.125.67.100 packets: sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0 (0% loss),approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: minimum = 109ms, maximum = 131ms, average = 116ms.but this is while the internet is still working i will have to wait for it to stop working to test out that ping but this is my control for this.

i will have to wait for it to stop working to test out that ping but this is my control for this.

Correct. Do this when your Internet will stop working (fortunately not soon) and tell us the result. Also, at the same moment, tell us if you can catch your router administration web-page.

my router webpage works by ip address and works when the internet stops work. but sometimes my internet disconnects so i can not connect to the router when it does that. only when i have a stable connection to the router but the router does not then have a strong enough connection to the actual internet usually it says local only.

i hope you don't mind me double posting my findings on my ping thing.pinging 74.125.67.100 with 32 byte of data:request timed outreply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=53reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=53reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=53ping statistics for 74.125.67.100 packets: sent = 4, received= 3, lost = 1 (25% loss),