xisto Community
willmark

Ready Boost On All Computers Easy

ready boost is available to us all just with a 4GB flash drive and it will run at 480Mbps if ur com runs faster than 480 then dont use this as it will slow u down click start, right click my computer,open properties, click advanced tag, under performance click settings, click advanced tag, click virtual memory change. get a 4gb flash drive with nothing on it put it in a spare use slot and it will display on the Drive[volume label] drive letter ? depends on how many u have in there but customise it to max and the computer will use it as cache ram this is the same as ready boost (always leave the usb in the spare slot)

Edited by willmark (see edit history)

Could you please correct your post because it's full of errors.First of all, 480mghz (mega-giga-Hertz ?) does not exist, the only I might make of this is 480Mbps which is the maximum transfer speed of a USB2.0 port.Second, afaik it's impossible to put a swap file on a removable device under windows and even if it'd be possible it would be dangerous when the device gets removed (sometimes this happens when windows returns from standby).

Perhaps Ready Boost (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows) is a good idea in some circumstances but it has been nothing but a dog for me. I purchased a cheep 8 Gb flash drive for this purpose about a year ago and I have seen absolutely no performance gain. Many of the articles that I have read across the net seem to confirm my findings so I don’t think I have an isolated issue. If you are looking for a quick and cheep performance boost I don’t think this is it. I still have Ready Boost enabled but that’s only because I have been too lazy to remove the drive. Come to think of it, I believe I will get rid of it once I get home…

I think that the real question is the USB stick write speed compared to the disk speed.Placing the virtual memory file on a USB improves the overall Windows performance if the USB disk is faster than the internal disk. If not, you are doing a negative performance tuning.Most of the USB sticks I have used till now were very cheap, but also very slow : a disk-to-USB copy was far slower than a disk-to-USB copy. If this is the case with your USB stick, you will have no performance increase when putting your virtual memory on it.

A bit off topic...I don't know about Ready Boost. I have only used Windows XP. I had a separate partition for temporary files and for the pagefile. This way disk fragmentation can be reduced. I also searched for a solution to move hiberfil.sys to another partition, but unfortunately it can't be done.Also to note, while changing the virtual memory settings, it is advisable to leave at least 2 Mb in the root partition (the partition the OS is installed). In case of system crashes, system can create log file in the root partition.

I think that the real question is the USB stick write speed compared to the disk speed.Placing the virtual memory file on a USB improves the overall Windows performance if the USB disk is faster than the internal disk. If not, you are doing a negative performance tuning.
Most of the USB sticks I have used till now were very cheap, but also very slow : a disk-to-USB copy was far slower than a disk-to-USB copy. If this is the case with your USB stick, you will have no performance increase when putting your virtual memory on it.

That's not always true. USB sticks are usualy slower when it comes to raw transfer rates, but they are a lot faster when it comes to acces times (compared to mechanical drives, this is absolutely not true when you have an SSD in your computer) and you might get a better performance when a lot of small files need to be read from the disk.

I believe the idea behind Ready Boost is to cache some of the most ran programs onto the flash drive. Ready Boost ties into Superfetch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_I/O_technologies). The benefits are supposed to come from random access times which flash is very good for. A good article can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost.

i went there,and changed to "best performance"....now my windows looks just like windows 98 :(i like it,and i think i am going to leave it this way...i hope i get some performance and speed this way....since i'm trying to get my website to work,i will need speed for changing my scripts and for making my wamp to go faster :D

Here is an update on my Ready Boost situation. Last week I removed the flash drive used by Ready Boost and turned off the Ready Boost service. Now my machine boots about 5 seconds faster and I can see a minor performance boost during regular tasks. If you want a quick, easy way to speed up you machine then you should turn OFF Ready Boost.

rclick advanced tag, under performance click settings, click advanced tag, click virtual memory change.

If you want a quick, easy way to speed up you machine then you should turn OFF Ready Boost.

On my computer the settings are "Let Windows choose the best configuration for my computer", I think I will stay with this. :(

i dont think that i need to worry about having ready boost.i have 4gb of RAM with 12gb of page files on both of my hard disks which gives me a total of the equivilant of 28gb of RAM. i do think that no one can beat me on that one hey.i also have a 6.2 ghz processor (2 cores running at 3.1 ghz) which makes my computer extremely fast. which means that it runs faster than your average computer. dont say either that my computer will only show 3gb of my 4gb because i have 64 bit windows 7.