xisto Community
surfermac

Problem With Firefox

i have been using firefox for long and i m even using it now i havent had a problem until recently that thefirefox gets stuck often and i m not able to do go to some other site and open a new window of firefoxit says that another firefox is already runningand i cant even close the browser window

I had this a couple of times. That's right, the instance is stuck, and you cannot open a new instance. Simply kill the faulty Firefox session. On a Microsoft windows system, press alt-ctrl-del, choose "task manger", then "processes", you choose "firefox.exe" and you click "stop this process".On a Linux system, in a command line windows you type "ps -aef |grep -i firefox", you read the process number (the leftmost number, let's suppose it's "1234") and you type "kill -9 1234" (replacing 1234 with the real process number).After you killed the stuck firefox process, you will be able to start a new firefox session.After repairing this, you should consider understanding why this occurs. On my own computers, this occurs with some precise sites trying to do some operations forbidden by my OS, surfing on these sites auto-kill IE6 sessions, firefox survives but sometimes freezes.

thanks for the solution yordan but i may be browsing some important sites as i work on them and autosaving feature is not available in the site so all my work would be gonei found the same problem on using the chrome sometimes but not as much as firefoxbut i have some filling form addon on the firefox which are not available on chromeso i need some thing to do in firefox without losing the work i have done

Yeah, I also have had some issues with firefox dropping. If it happens a lot in a few settings, I just go ahead and reboot when I can. I too delete it from task manager. I try to keep my processes as low as possible... and even toss a lot off of my startup... And when firefox drops, I do keep trying to just restart it... But it doesn't do it all of the time... If my PC or laptop has been running but has been inactive... Then it usually will 'lock up' on me.Never seems to be a huge problem... and if there was a lot going... then it would ask if I wish to restore from previous session.... Even with a problem... Firefox is SOOOO worth using!- skedad -

The strange thing is that it also happens to Chrome, so their might be problem with a plugin they share.Try updating all the plugins listed in about:plugins (type this url in the address bar of firefox), but especialy update flash, because this plugin is most used and most likely to cause the problem.Also make sure you're using the latest firefox and update all the extentions you use :( .

I have been using Mozilla Firefox for along time now too and I have to say I have never had this problem. I have had a problem sometimes when I exit Firefox it still keeps it running in my processes...but like mentioned above "alt,ctrl,del" takes care of this....but never has it not gone to a website...I don't know...i would suspect a virus maybe...but just an opinion...Hope you get it fixed