xisto Community
fripay1405241578

Sub-Contracting Sub-Contracting

currently, I sub-contract website coding to a friend of mine. I have  given this person roughly $12,000 worth of work last year and about ½  of that so far this year. I've been very happy and as far as I know  this person has been too. (Unless they are lying to me ) Lately, I've  been having problems with communication and what I like to refer to as  cherry picking work.   
For example, a client comes back a month after a website job has  been completed, with an addition. ( This is an addition that I can not  do. ) I then email my friend describing what the client needs and ask  what it would cost to make the addition. I get no reply. I call, I get  voice mail. Leave a message, no return call. So now I am stuck. I can  not provide regular service and updates (paid ones) to my client.

Now, if I send work to my friend that's of more value, I get a prompt response.

What I am wondering is if I am expecting too much from a  contractor? For those of you who do contract work, do you provide  regular service to the person who contracted you the work? I do, no  matter how in significant it may seem to me because I know that good  service results in an increase in business. I grew my company solely on  word of mouth and I still continue to get new business because my  clients love the attention they get from me.

It does not good to me if I can not offer my clients  updates/additions to their websites that I/Contractor created for them.  Of course, I know some will say I need to learn how to make these  additions, and I can do some of them. But the areas that I can not  involve back-end admin capabilities and databases, and a custom  shopping made shopping car that this person created. I also do not have  time to learn these things, though I would like to eventually. I am  busy doing my work and servicing clients.

Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to look for some one  else? Do programmers not want to be bothered with small updates?

Edited by yordan (see edit history)

(surfermac @ Aug 20 2009, 12:22 PM) go and talk to him directly  or if you are really fed up with that company just go for another one
you dont need to waste out your efforts for others

no real need to reply to this post : it's copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
spinnakerbrat has this problem, answering to the post copied by fripay will probably not solve spinnakerbrat's problem.  style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

hire someone elseSub-contracting

Your way of providing good service to your client and giving attention is always good in business in my opinion. Trust is earned through that and as well as quality work done. As for your contractor is concern, its a bit unprofessional that you get a reply only on projects he has interest on doing. It wouldn't hurt him if he just say no, at least you wouldn't be left hanging in the air. If that's how he work, I suggest that its best to hire another one who knows how to give importance and value to people they get to work for or work with./txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley2.Gif

-reply by sarah