xisto Community
dangerdan

French President Sarkozy Wants To Ban The Burka

France is a country with a history of secularism and President Sarkozy recently said that the burka was not welcome in France. His reasons for this was on the grounds of women's rights. He claims it is oppressive. People in France are not supposed to demonstrate any form of religious expression in public places (remember the case of the girl wearing the crucifix)I feel if we start targeting individual pieces of religious expression without a wider defining principle then we very quickly enter a problematic area. The problem is that people wear the burka for so many different reasons that it is impossible to say it is completely wrong, or right. I think if you want to ban something like the burka you have to do so on moral grounds, not based purely on opinionated religious intolerance.

We have to look at what he's thinking, in some ways much of culture has put women in a lower role, and so this could be the thought. But if you think about it, the desert is a harsh climate were you could benefit from not having exposed skin. Believing the Burka is merely an egocentric way of bringing females down is a naive viewpoint in many senses. Do I agree with them, not really, but it honestly is not my place, neither is it his. I give 1 out of five thumbs up, for trying, but not thinking.

In France, laicity is a very important principle.There is a strong separation between religion and state.Public schools are free, and main principles of democracy have to be respected.So, no religious symbol has to be seen in public schools.In private school it's different.Also, in public places, you have to show your face : everybody has to be able to see your eyes and your hairs, for instance. This is french way of understanding democracy, so people wanting to go to french public schools have to avoid wearing their burka. Exactly like french tourists, when they go to some places in islamic countries, have to remove their shoes. This is simply a matter of respect of other's way of thinking.The abnormal thing is that Mr. Sarkozy has to create a low in order to force people to do an act of simple politeness, this should be simply a normal way of behaving.

Interesting, and I did not know that pre-post, so thanks for the information. I still think that the religious and cultural view should make the burka allowable, not that I agree with it, just that I believe it is so engrained in the culture its almost impossible to convince people that they should take it off. I realize now that it's a sign of respect, it shows the issue when two different cultures clash, who should win out (probably the native). I'm not quite sure, I still think the law is obtrusive, but that may just show my ignorance...

I think that, when you go to a foreign country which, in some places, has some strange habits, some strange ways of behave, you should respect them.If the local people say "when you enter my house, you drink no alcohol", you should respect it.If they say "when entering here, please remove your shoes", you must respect this.Some religions say that you should never remove your shoes, some other say that in some places you should remove your shoes, let's be tolerant and let's accept other's way of behaving, and let's show him this proof of respect.In some restaurants you should remove your hat. If you don't do that, you are simply not polite. Why keeping not removing your hat? If you don't like this restaurant, simply go and eat somewhere else.If you don't like my school, please choose another one. If you want to enter my school, please stay polite and act as stated by our internal regulations.

What I could understand from the posts above is that Burka is a a very sensitive issue to discuss on. Thankfully, it is a place where everyone is free to express their opinion. The reason of opting for Burka in desert regions might be because the women there have enviable skin and complexion, it might just be ruined if exposed to the scorching weather, but I guess its not the way in France, being on the mediterranean or at places continental climatic side, it doesn't call for one to wear the Burka. The religious issues will always be there, but it should be tolerance on both sides that need to work. Residing in a foreign land, you feel like clinging to your native culture more,just the way when you know you are a minority community, so often misunderstand requirements for modifications as an assault on your culture as a whole.I am not that well versed with the political functioning, but just in general, when the world is becoming a global village rapidly, it is advisable to respect the fundamentals of any religion. If an urgent need to change anything arises, it worked upon through proper procedures. Passing a verdict randomly may hurt the sentiments of some religious group.Peace is undoubtedly desirable and the whole world is striving to achieve it, so why not follow the safest possible way to bring a change in something as sensitive as wearing a Burka?