xisto Community
BlazeFiend

Windows Vista Standard To Administrator

Ok, here's my problem, me and my older brother share a PC, we're both administrators, but he turned my account into a standard user and wont change it back. So how can I change myself back into an administrator? btw, we hve Windows Vista.

I think the whole problem is he doesnât have the password or he would just use his brotherâs account. I think the easiest solution would be to tell your parents and get him in trouble. Iâm an only child myself, so I donât know how well this will work but I think it would be worth a shot.

Another much harder alternative would be to run a Linux boot disk and reset the password. This used to work quite well under XP but Iâm not sure if Microsoft changed things enough in Vista to break it. I have a nice tutorial at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ that explains what you have to do step by step.

The second option can get nasty so I would really suggest you rat the little ******** out first, lol.

I think the whole problem is he doesn't have the password or he would just use his brother's account. I think the easiest solution would be to tell your parents and get him in trouble. I'm an only child myself, so I don't know how well this will work but I think it would be worth a shot.
Another much harder alternative would be to run a Linux boot disk and reset the password. This used to work quite well under XP but I'm not sure if Microsoft changed things enough in Vista to break it. I have a nice tutorial at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ that explains what you have to do step by step.

The second option can get nasty so I would really suggest you rat the little ******** out first, lol.

Yeah, tried that, all they said was "You and your borthers feud, you fix it", Man I hate those old fogeys

If you have the administrator password, in a "cmd" command line prompt, type "control userpasswords", and change your account type to administrator.

say what? I opened run, typed in cmd and opened it, then I typed control userpasswords and it just opened my user accounts panel, onwards.....nothing

say what? I opened run, typed in cmd and opened it, then I typed control userpasswords and it just opened my user accounts panel, onwards.....nothing

Then you choose your user icon, double-click on it, it opens a screen with radio-buttons, you choose "this user is an administrator", and the job is done.

I remember the days when I was using a Windows 2000 Professional machine and was stuck as a Power User. The administrator account was locked with a password, which meant I couldn't install anything that required administrator priveleges in order to run.I ended up hacking my own computer, by booting up the computer with a MS-DOS floppy with a NTFS read-write driver and copying the C:\Windows\system32\config\SAM file which contains the usernames and passwords encrypted in LM and NTLM hashes. After copying it, I inputted the stuff into SAMInside and brute-forced it. The password was very simple and was cracked in no time.I suppose if you use this method you may end up with your brother's password and engage in some 'mischief' with his stuff.

I suppose if you use this method you may end up with your brother's password and engage in some 'mischief' with his stuff.

I think the smartest way would be to say nothing, simply give yourself full admin rights and shut up. Your brother will be happy because he thinks that you are in pain, and you will be happy because your account has admin rights again.

I think the smartest way would be to say nothing, simply give yourself full admin rights and shut up. Your brother will be happy because he thinks that you are in pain, and you will be happy because your account has admin rights again.

Like they say: HOOOLY **** IT WORKED!!!

I was being sarcastic, if you log out to make it permanent, then it just switches back to standard

Do you mean that you used the "control userpasswords" trick and you switched yourself to administrator? Did you see a difference while you were an admin ? In that case it's still worth it.

Do you mean that you used the "control userpasswords" trick and you switched yourself to administrator? Did you see a difference while you were an admin ? In that case it's still worth it.

No, nothig changes, actually, I dont even become administrator, I changed my account type to admin in the selection and pressed ok, nothing happened, I was still standard. 1st I thought it was just a display problem or something, restarted the PC to make it permanent... but nothing.