xisto Community
Mzeppelin

Internet Talk Grrr

|-|4|-|4, 7|-|3 "1|\|73?|\|37 741k" 7|-|47 `/0|_|'?3 ?3f3??1|\|9 70 15 [4113|) 1337. |-|4[k3?5 4|\||) p30p13 \/\/|-|0 \/\/4|\|7 70 4\/01|) p?0><135 |_|53 17. 17 93|\|3?411`/ \/\/0?k5 3><7?3|\/|31`/ \/\/311 1f `/0|_| \/\/4|\|7 p30p13 70 |\|07 k|\|0\/\/ \/\/|-|47 `/0|_|'?3 741k1|\|9 480|_|7...11k3 ?19|-|7 |\|0\/\/. 07|-|3? 7|-|4|\| 7|-|47, 1 [0|\/|p13731`/ 49?33 \/\/17|-| `/0|_|. p|-|?4535 11k3 "101" 0? "0|\/|9" 15 707411`/ ?|_|1|\|1|\|9 7|-|3 |\/|1|\||)5 0f `/0|_||\|9 |\/|1|\||)5 83[4|_|53 17 |)035 |\|07 |\/|4k3 7|-|3|\/| 7|-|1|\|k 83f0?3 7`/p1|\|9, 1|\|5734|), 17 j|_|57 |\/|4k35 7|-|3|\/| |)|_|11 4|\||) 80?1|\|9 83[4|_|53 7|-|3 p|-|?4535 4?3 50 93|\|3?1[. 0|\| 7|-|3 07|-|3? |-|4|\||), p30p13 \/\/|-|0 p?373|\||)5 70 83 [001 8`/ 7`/p1|\|9 "113k 0|\/|9111!!10|\|3" 15 4150 \/3?`/ 4|\||\|0`/1|\|9. 1 |)0|\|'7 k|\|0\/\/, 7|-|47'5 j|_|57 \/\/|-|47 1 7|-|1|\|k :D

Haha, the "internet talk" that you're referring to is called 1337. Hackers and people who want to avoid proxies use it. It generally works extremely well if you want people to NOT know what you're talking about...like right now. Other than that, I completely agree with you. Phrases like "lol" or "omg" is totally ruining the minds of young minds because it does not make them think before typing, instead, it just makes them dull and boring because the phrases are so generic. On the other hand, people who pretends to be cool by typing "liek omg111!!1one" is also very annoying. i don't know, that's just what i think

In case you're wondering, I did not type all that up by hand - I used my text-to-1337 program. :)

I'd have to say throwing around the terms "gay" and "retarded" for anything you don't like is more annoying and overused on the internet than crazy capitalization and mispeLlinG to be KewL.

68806[/snapback]

I was going to point this out, but you beat me to it :P When one use those words (I did at some point), other people generally look down on that person as someone with a very low vocabulary (no offense), and it gives off a very bad impression as no one here knows who you really are.

Edit: Added the brandice quote.

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

7|-|3 |\/|1|\||)5 0f `/0|_||\|9 |\/|1|\||)5

69144[/snapback]

You know minds. They have minds of their own! :)

First off snlildude that language you are using is troubling, but I understood the smiley's :) .Secondly, to comment in response to wylit's commentary, I disagree that the education students are receiving is sub-par and should be improved. At least in Pennsylvania, becoming a teacher has a ridiculous amount of requirements. I am an education major so I know the whole deal. I do believe, in my view, that the parents of children should receive the blame for the students' success/failure. Parents these days tend to let their children wander off into life freely without much guidance or responsibility. From this, children would put off school work and concentrate on other things - sports, tv, internet, even making websites. I am kinda shocked that there are many young kids in this forum. Although I have nothing against it, kids should concentrate heavily on their school work and leave stuff like this and other leisure activities for weekends. Xisto forum requirements are kinda tough for some people posting wise, you must post on a daily basis to maintain your website. I'm sure alot of the younger folks put in a lot of time with their websites and staying involved in the forums, and I'm convinced that that could have a negative impact on not only their grades, but their social life as well. When kids have free time, they should be with friends, not stuck on a computer all day long. With that said, I also blame technology. Computers offer so much to do, and it become an addiction to some, and although the internet can offer a wealth of information for students, rarely is that information searched. To summarize, kids these days are not getting the parental guidance needed to become disciplined in their school work and thus they are directed elsewhere (computers and internet) during times they should concentrate on school, and when they don't need to focus on school, technology becomes the alternative for many instead of being active with friends in the great outdoors.As for the online glitter talk, I could care less about it. As long as I can understand what is being said I don't care how the message is relayed. Sure I've received messages that I couldn't quite understand, but thats no biggy - its the beauty of an online conversation, and it's not going to change. If you don't like the internet chat language, then don't chat, otherwise, adjust.As for the topic starter - Retarded - a person with a mental disability that permanently affects the individual, properly used as Mentally Retarded.Gay - Used to mean happy, I'd be full of nonesense to define gay as that, but obviously it's an male or female in a relationship with the same sex.I don't feel internet chat can be described in relationship to these two words. You talk about proper grammer - you should be ashamed of yourself. I am very familiar in dealing with Mentally Retarded individuals, and your comment insulted me. No need for you to improperly use the term. You initial post presented a viewpoint in which you yourself violated...think about what you type before you type it.

First off snlildude that language you are using is troubling, but I understood the smiley's :) .

Secondly, to comment in response to wylit's commentary, I disagree that the education students are receiving is sub-par and should be improved.  At least in Pennsylvania, becoming a teacher has a ridiculous amount of requirements.  I am an education major so I know the whole deal.  I do believe, in my view, that the parents of children should receive the blame for the students' success/failure. 

<<SNIP>>

69233[/snapback]

Well I think perhaps you should re-read my post. I did NOT say the education that students recieve from TEACHERS is sub par, what I stated was most students recieve slim to no education in the home, and the education system both in Canada (where I am from) and the US have recieved so many cuts backs and stringent guidelines that teachers do not have sufficient materials to do the job to the best of thier abilities, and believe me I do believe highly in the training and the ablilities 99.9999% of the teachers who are in the job.

I have seen teachers become jaded after years of being looked down upon and jeered at, but generally they are so dedicated they ignore the treatment we have been giving them. For instance I work in a school board (not as a teacher, but as a computer tech) and that board has not had a contract with the elementary techers for three years, the teachers finally got fed up and started acting, there is a Work-to-rule campaign currently going on and alls I hear outside of the school walls is how those greedy teachers want more money. It is pure propeganda by the school board trustees, the teachers just want a fair contract, with a reasonable raise that at least matches the cost of living increases. I don't think they are being unreasonable in any way shape or form, but the media is reporting it as though the teachers are being stubborn and turning down every fair contract they have been offered, when in fact they have been offered 2 contracts, one was turned down because it did not give any allowance for cost of living increases, and the other was rejected by the government.

The governments of both Canada and the US claim education is on a high priority, but examine the budgets, education is WAY down on the list. These cut backs can be seen most clearly by walking into the library of any public school in either country, the books are outdated and falling apart, for the most part, apparently in the US they allow for corporate sponsorship which allows the school to make a deal to have advertising on the dust jackets to pay for newer books, and frankly I wish canada would do this.

Actually, if you really want to be technical, it's called 1337speak, not just 1337. And it's used by Phrackers, not Hackers. Hackers are security experts who "hack" constructively. Phrackers are the young ones who supposedly "hack" to be cool. The two terms should NOT be confused. It annoys hackers a LOT.And yes, I use lol a lot, but only because 1. laughing out loud sounds weird to say, and 2. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just much easier.I also say w00t a lot, because my gamer friends got me saying it, and frankly, it's hard to stop. =PThe gay and retarded comments don't really -offend- me, because, let's face it, it's gonna be used. And it has absolutely nothing to do with gays or retards. It's much similar to using the word "*bottom*" as an insult. We are referring to donkeys, are we?@ elvenmil - But that's just the thing. Internet chat *shouldn't* be so lazily and sloppily written. We shouldn't adjust, the people using said language should. That's what this whole topic says...

I was away in Canada this weekend, so I was unable to respond to these posts until now...

Well I think perhaps you should re-read my post. I did NOT say the education that students recieve from TEACHERS is sub par, what I stated was most students recieve slim to no education in the home, and the education system both in Canada (where I am from) and the US have recieved so many cuts backs and stringent guidelines that teachers do not have sufficient materials to do the job to the best of thier abilities, and believe me I do believe highly in the training and the ablilities 99.9999% of the teachers who are in the job.

Evidently, and according to my eyes, you did mention wylit about how students aren't receiving a good education in the classroom, you did not just target "slim to no education in the home". Anyways there is no need to argue and fuss, but we do have our own opinions. My opinion on the topic of education funding cutbacks is this - the government doesn't care how you do it, and what you do it with money wise, they expect the school districts to perform at their very best.

Here's how it is in Pennsylvania. A school's funding is determined on the results from a yearly PSSA test given to students. It is how the students perform that determines the amount of funding that school receives. If the school does great overall, they'll get more money than a school who didn't do as well. Harsh? Maybe, but that puts more responsiblity on teachers to prepare students and more responsibility on administrators to get their teachers to excel at their positions.

Finally, if a teacher doesn't have the notion to do well at their job because they don't get good benefits, then they should be fired. Take your problems up with the administrators but don't let it affect your students.

-----

The gay and retarded comments don't really -offend- me, because, let's face it, it's gonna be used. And it has absolutely nothing to do with gays or retards. It's much similar to using the word "*bottom*" as an insult. We are referring to donkeys, are we?

Johnny - I will face it, everyone says it, but its how they use it that's unnecessary. When most people use the word "retard" its used in a derogatory manner. The very first post on this topic compared internet chat as gay and retarded. Using the word retarded, I guess, showed the individuals' disgust for internet chatting. It's the same thing if I were to use, lets say, a racial comment to describe my disgust for something. It's not appropriate so say, so I don't say it. Using the word "retard" in the fashion in which it was used was inappropriate, so I felt it wasn't necessary.

And please don't tell me comparing "*bottom*" to a donkey is the same as using the word "retard". "Retards" are people you know...Mentally Retarded individuals who can't necessarily defend themselves. On the other hand, homosexuals can defend themselves, so I'm not that offended when it is used in a certain fashion. Basically when these and other words are used its just like pointing out a certain individual who possess these traits and making fun of them - - - if you're an adult speak like one, if you're a young one hopefully you'll mature.

These are my opinions, yet I will still respect yours...

Well, like I said, people are bound to say it, so I'm not going to go Bruce Lee on them every time I hear it.And yes, it is derogatory in some respects, but you have to understand, it has absolutely nothing to do with retards or homosexuals, it's just vernacular. Words change to mean different words all the time. Donkeys and asses, *BLEEP* and cigarettes, so on and so forth. They don't necessarily have any relation.And so yeah, I agree with you on most of your points, just not all of them.

<<SNIP>>

Evidently, and according to my eyes, you did mention wylit about how students aren't receiving a good education in the classroom, you did not just target "slim to no education in the home".  Anyways there is no need to argue and fuss, but we do have our own opinions.  My opinion on the topic of education funding cutbacks is this - the government doesn't care how you do it, and what you do it with money wise, they expect the school districts to perform at their very best. 

Here's how it is in Pennsylvania.  A school's funding is determined on the results from a yearly PSSA test given to students.  It is how the students perform that determines the amount of funding that school receives.  If the school does great overall, they'll get more money than a school who didn't do as well.  Harsh?  Maybe, but that puts more responsiblity on teachers to prepare students and more responsibility on administrators to get their teachers to excel at their positions.

Finally, if a teacher doesn't have the notion to do well at their job because they don't get good benefits, then they should be fired.  Take your problems up with the administrators but don't let it affect your students.

<<SNIP>>

71162[/snapback]

Well see I said that the education systems were messed up, but it is NOT the fault of the teachers. I am not arguing, or fussing we are having a difference of opinion and debating our points. Debating is not the same as arguing. I am clarifying my position.

As for how Pennsylvania does the funding, you really believe this is a good method? So the schools that have the worst students get the least funding, and it only gets worse? And the schools with the best students get the most funding and it only gets better? There is some serious flaws with this reasoning.

Now on to your comment about teachers not excelling because of benifits, now that is crazy. I primarily focused on the statement that they don't have funding for proper teaching materials to keep the education up to date. I think that when you enter the education system you will see it from a different point of view.

One of my former English teachers lamented how the quality of kids' writing has been steadily declining since AIM/chatting/the 'net in general.  In essays and assignments he'd find that kids would use "u" for "you" and "4" for "for" etc.  He once instructed a block to write an in-class essay; several kids asked him how to spell the word "essay."  After he wrote it on the board, about half of the class started erasing furiously.  After the papers were handed in, about a quarter of the kids wrote "S.A." on top. :blink:

67826[/snapback]

That's funny... but also quite sad. this language is so hard to read. (Admittedly i am only 21 and i play computer games, online games quite a lot, but i didn't have a clue about this languages until a month ago.) I saw people talking but couldn't understand anything, and one day i found a page in Microsoft website explaining all this thing. (Not that i browse through microsoft web site on regular basis, i found that page posted on another site containing funny stuff.) Oh well, thanks microsoft for a change.

(btw, sometimes i use this language to piss people off on some Thai webboards, they must be thinking wtf i'm on about.) :)

One of my former English teachers lamented how the quality of kids' writing has been steadily declining since AIM/chatting/the 'net in general.  In essays and assignments he'd find that kids would use "u" for "you" and "4" for "for" etc.  He once instructed a block to write an in-class essay; several kids asked him how to spell the word "essay."  After he wrote it on the board, about half of the class started erasing furiously.  After the papers were handed in, about a quarter of the kids wrote "S.A." on top. :blink:

67826[/snapback]

:) Kids at my school do it too...